45 degree adjustment 12" compound miter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 degree adjustment 12" compound miter

hi everyone, new to this forum looks like there is a lot of info available.
    my issue getting a 45 on my two 12" compound miter saws,seems almost impossible.when the slide is fully extended it's fine as you pull back in she's out. any thoughts? bob

Re: 45 degree adjustment 12" compound miter

I'm not sure I understand......with the saw extended to it's full forward length the angle is off? It seems to me if the miter table turns with the blade the angle should be 45° all the way along the cut.
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

no, let me explain again. i put sq. up back stop with saw extended all the way out it's sweet. when you pull back in she goes out.if i adjust the back stopfor this.the straight cut is off. both of my saws do this.

Comment

Please Sir, write in English. Conjunctions are required to interpret your meaning.
        Last edited by zenophus; 03-11-2007, 06:49 PM.
        “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

we will try this one again.
          the saw is set for 45, the sq. is placed against the fence. when the saw is extended it reads sweet, but when you pull the saw back in it is not. it reads about a 16th off. have this problem with two of compound miter saws.
          if i set the 45, the straight cut is off. is this a little bit easier tounderstand?

Comment

Are these two identical saws?

Comment

bomurray,

If you're talking about the RIDGID 12" sliding compund miter saw, you might want to head over to the General Power Tool Discussion forum and do a search on your issue. It's a known flaw in this particular tool.

Here's one members fix.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              This seems to be a common recurrung flaw in this saw. I've read other reports of the same here. It happens with the one I have as well as the one I returned before it. You can minimize the problem by getting a quality full kerf 1/8" blade. Blade deflection is partially due to the innacuracy. The tilt problem is due to the bevel pivot not being machined perfectly straight. My temporary solution was to adjust the saw to make perfect 90 degree cuts. Then when beveled to 45 degrees make a few test cuts, ideally on a perfectly straight and square 2X6". Keep turning the table very slightly to compensate until the cut is perfectly straight. Mark that position on the table and you should be set. Just shift it slightly on bevel cuts. I had to offset the table on mine about a half a degree to get straight 45d bevels. My permanent solution was to go buy the Makita LS1013 slider. Dead on and flawlessly accurate at any angle and even accross a full 12" board. I still use the ridgid for some quick 90d cuts if I don't want to change the position of the Makita.

Comment

yes, they are.

Comment

Working...
                X