X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boshield T-9 Use

I am just beginning wood working, and recently purchased a TS 3560. I wiped off the oil with mineral spirits, applied the Boshield, and lightly wiped off the excess. The top still seems "oily". Is that the way it is supposed to be?

Phil

Re: Boshield T-9 Use

Use a clean shop cloth and wipe again. If it is still tacky you will need to mist it lightly again and then wipe it down

Comment

I use WD40 to wipe all the factory oil until the top is completely clean. wipe it until its completely dry, then apply the T-9.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll first try to lightly recoat, and if not, I will start over. Phil

Comment

Phil - Once the T-9 is dry, I like to overcoat it with paste wax. It increases the rust protection and reduces friction.

Comment

Ah, yes. The ol' paste wax recommendation... I have a little story about waxing my table saw top:

I first heard folks talk about waxing their table saw when I started shopping for a saw last fall. I thought they they were neurotic; or at least fanatics. It had been many [many!] years since I last owned a table saw, and it did not have a cast iron top. But when I got my new TS3650 home, I realized the wax was not just to keep the table slick. I was looking at a bare hunk of solid iron, a haven for rust. Especially in a humid place like Houston. OK, so I'll try giving my saw table a wax job. Paste wax, they say? No problem, I have several varieties out in the garage.

So I cleaned the oil off the table with mineral spirits, and started to apply a coat of wax. Before I could get half way across the table, I noticed what appeared to be a brown haze covered the area I had just applied wax to. The wax dried, and as I tried to wipe it off, the brown haze "stuck" to the table. The table was slick, but the brown discoloration would not rub off. This didn't look good. So I put another coat on, and the brown haze prevailed. Then it hit me: I was using the applicator that was stored inside the wax can, and it had previously been moistened, with water, when I waxed my vehicles. So I was actually applying a thin coat of rust on the saw table!

Then I remembered folks talking specifically about Johnson's paste wax. I had thought paste wax is paste wax, why do I need to go buy another can of it? Maybe regular paste wax would be OK if it was applied without a water-moistened applicator. But all my paste wax was already "contaminated" with water, so I needed to buy some fresh wax anyway, and I decided to give Johnson's a try.

Then I learned something else: Johnson paste wax is not for metal, it's for wood; as in wood floors, etc. So when someone mentions Johnson paste wax, here's what they're talking about: Click Me.

Since I had a thin coat of rust on my saw table, I also shopped for something to remove rust. I saw some Boeshield T-9 at Sears, and it was packaged with a bonus bottle of Rust Free rust and stain remover. I bought the package and raced home to my ailing table saw.

The Rust Free stuff is really good, it took the rust off the table saw, and I also used it to clean the table on my band saw, which I had bought used. (Rust Free has phosphoric acid in it, so use caution.) Then a coat of Boeshield T-9, and finally a few coats of Johnson paste wax. The tables are slick as glass now (and not brown!).

- djb
            [amateur woodworker]
            Last edited by djb; 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM.
            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Then I learned something else: Johnson paste wax is not for metal, it's for wood; as in wood floors, etc. So when someone mentions Johnson paste wax, here's what they're talking about: Click Me.

QUOTE]Hard finish, buffable wax formula provides a rich, satiny luster, lasting beauty and protection for all sealed wood surfaces
              Helps protect METAL, sealed leather, plastic, sealed cork and vinyl
              Waterless cleaning formula picks up old wax and prevents buildup.It is also for metal.

Comment

Originally posted by 99zr2 View Post
                ...It is also for metal.
                Directions on the can - (1) Free surface of heavy dirt and sticky spots. Use a solvent based cleaner for floors; use mild soap and water for furniture. (2) Apply a thin even coat of wax, working with the grain. (3) Allow to dry to a haze, then buff with soft cloth. For floors, wait 20-30 minutes before buffing with electric polisher.

I got the sticky spots off my truck, but which direction does the grain run on a Chevy?

It's a wood wax.

- djb
                sigpic

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                  Directions on the can - (1) Free surface of heavy dirt and sticky spots. Use a solvent based cleaner for floors; use mild soap and water for furniture. (2) Apply a thin even coat of wax, working with the grain. (3) Allow to dry to a haze, then buff with soft cloth. For floors, wait 20-30 minutes before buffing with electric polisher.

I got the sticky spots off my truck, but which direction does the grain run on a Chevy?

It's a wood wax.

- djb
                  this is from johnsons site.Hard finish, buffable wax formula provides a rich, satiny luster and lasting beauty and protection for all sealed wood surfaces- Also helps protect metal, sealed leather, plastic, sealed cork and vinyl. Waterless cleaning formula picks up old wax and prevents buildup.
                  00202 JOHNSON® Paste Wax - 16 oz.
                  $6.20 ea. / $35.34 per case of 6 http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/ not just wood.its says right on the can Also helps protect metal, sealed leather, plastic, sealed cork and vinyl.

Comment

Many thanks for all of your suggestions about using paste wax. Some one also told me to use bee's wax. I think I will stick with Johnson's Paste wax.
                    Phil

Comment

Waxes formulated for automotive use usually contain silicones that will transfer to the wood being cut and cause blotches when staining/finishing the wood.

If a top is badly rusted, you can use WD-40 and Scotch-Brite to clean the top. I use a scrubbing pad on an old B&D Mouse that was given to me. Works very quickly to remofe the rust

Comment

99zr2 - Of course Johnson wax can be used on metal. You either missed my point or you just want to argue. I'll assume you missed my point.

My point was Johnson paste wax is not like other paste waxes that a novice table saw owner is probably used to. I did not find it at the auto parts store with all the other paste waxes for automobiles and boats. Nor did I see it at WalMart in their automotive department. I found it at Lowes, who advertises it as "Fine Wood Paste Wax." Amazon advertises it as "Johnson Wax LB Floor Paste." Do a Google search on Johnson paste wax and see how many hits you get for using this stuff on metal. None. They're all hits about using it on wood.

All I was trying to do was warn unsuspecting table saw owners that Johnson paste wax is not like other paste waxes they are probably accustomed to. If I did not make that point clear, I hope it is now.

- djb
                        sigpic

Restore the Republic.

Comment

They actually do have Johnsons Paste Wax at Wal-Mart. It is in the cleaning supplies section. By the mops and household cleaners. That is where I bought mine at.

Comment

Working...
                          X