X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rusty table

I bought a ridgid table saw in January and followed instructions on care for the table including using paste wax. I come home from work today and the table is covered in rust...boom all the sudden. I live in Louisiana and today was our first humid day. How do I get this rust off and keep it off?? Will WD 40 work or some rust remover. Can I buff it off?

How yall are Tdaigle,

I live in de'swamps too and rust is inevitable!

What I do when the rust comes over for dinner is to use some 600 grit and DW40 to polish everything up nice and shiny.

If you know you are going to be away from your tools for a few weeks, spray a little WD40 and let it sit for a while.

When you are ready to make some wood, clean your surface with denatured alcohol and a shop towel. It takes less than a minute.

After two or three polishings, your surface will be mirror smooth and you won't have to spend all of your time playing Mr Miaggi!

Comment

You really only need to post the same question once on the forum. See my answer at the other location that you asked this question.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your rusty top. I have used steel wool sanding pads < they are marked for use by grit in the paint department > along with a penetrating oil that got rid of surface rust on old saw.

I have heard that Florida is bad for tools. Louisianna probably is for same reason. Ideally if you have shop in garage, your basement would be a better place to move it if you have one.

As far as preventing rust, I started using paste wax. Wasn't all that impressed. I use topcote with success, T9 is supposed to be the best though. REcently written about in Wood magazine. Because of your location, I'd be sure to put it on more frequently. Maybe every couple of weeks. Topcote is a spray on and easy buff off. It dries quick and like I said, doing fine by me.

The worst thing you can get on your tools is direct moisture as in condensation. If you are in a garage and that is a problem, may consider a tool cover to protect from that.

Jake

Comment

Go to your local automotive store and pick up some 3M scotch brite pads, item # 7447. Cut them in 1/2, use your random orbital sander with hook and loop pad. I prefer to do it dry and use the vacuum assist on the ROS to suck up the dust as I create it. If that is not an option, you can use WD-40 and frequent wipes to keep the dust down.

Salt from the ocean on the coast line states that migrates via humidity is by far the worst. I use Johnson's paste wax. I tried the T-9, manufactured here in Michigan and did not like it. Long dry time. Have not tried topcoat, seams a bit expensive.

Condinsation in a garage can be controlled by coating the floor (leave some saw dust on the concrete), ventilating and leaving on a fan for air movement. When the concrete floor cools at night, then the heat of the day comes in, without ventalation you'll magnify humidity inside the building from the cool concrete floor and rapid shell temperature increase.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Place a piece of cardboard over teh cast iron surfaces. The cardboard will absorb the moisture and keep it off the saw. I have a saw in a trailer I haul from job to job and it works for me. I still wax the surface. Like wearing suspenders and a belt I guess.

Comment

I've used Boeshield Rust and Stain Remover and a maroon synthetic pad to remove rust. I live in Tennessee, which is not a humid as LA (I was at Ft. Polk during the summer and early fall of '71), but still humid. I use paste wax (Briwax clear or Miniwax clear, but any good furniture grade paste wax works) to maintain the top. However, if not used frequently, it doesn't provide much protection. I use Boeshield T-9 for longer periods when the saw will not be used, then remove the T-9 with mineral spirits and wax before use. I use the Boeshield products because I bought them as a package deal. When I run out I'll probably switch to Topcoat.

Comment

Just so y'all know, there is no such thing as a basement when you live 3 feet below sea level.

Comment

I thought you guys called it an indoor pool [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Page 87 of this month's (March 2004, Issue# 154) WOOD magazine has an excellent article on removing and preventing rust. They test several rust removers and several runst inhibitors. Check out the article, but their tests came up with Boeshield Rust-Free as the #1 rust remover, and Boeshield T-9 as the #1 Protectant. They have an excellent method of testing this that lends a lot of credit to their recomendations.

Comment

Working...
                    X