X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw tire slipping

I don't use my bandsaw that much but I was using it today and the tire on the upper wheel keeps coming out of the track after a minute or so of running. It did this the other day and then I changed the blade today, recalibrated and adjusted everything and it's still doing it. Any suggestions?

Re: Bandsaw tire slipping

Type in bandsaw in search up above, I think theres been more then just you with this problem. Maybe one of those posts can bring you good news. Good luck...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Best thing to do is call Ridigd and complain and have them send you new tires. Ridgid doesn't think they have a problem so more complaints are needed to get them to fix this ongoing problem.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by rnt80 View Post
        Any suggestions?
        Until this can be resolved with Ridgid a temporary work around may be had by using a very thin coating of contact cememt on the inside of the rubber and the groove on the wheel. Use care and patience to position the rubber back on the wheel once the contact cement has dried to the touch on both. You may want to use some wax paper to get things lined up and then carefully pull that out a bit at a time while you line things up. Mineral spirits and elbow grease will remove the glue from the metal wheels if they send you new rubbers.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by rnt80 View Post
        I don't use my bandsaw that much...
        I forgot to add if you don't use your bandsaw very often you should relieve the tension on the wheel.
        This could be part of the problem if you had the tension relatively tight and the saw sat unused for extended periods the rubber could become thinner on the side of the wheel under the pressure of the blade. Then when you come along and fire it up... well it could make for a bumpy ride till the rubber warmed up a bit and evened out. Make any sense?

I don't want to ramble on your thread but it reminds me of the time I spent up north in the Yukon. I was staying with some friends who had a cabin on the shore of Lake Labarge (Dangerous Dan McGrew anyone?). Anyway long story short when it's 40 below zero the tires on the vehicles freeze when sitting overnight. The flats on the bottom of the tires where it was sitting stay flat because they're frozen. So... It takes about 1/2 hour on the highway into Whitehorse for them to warm up thaw out and become round again! Quite hilarious, just like the Flintstones no kidding.
        Last edited by jbergstrom; 03-15-2007, 03:41 AM.
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Mine did the same thing... stunk up my workshop each time when the rubber started rubbing and burning. I didn't want to glue them in place and risk any uneven behavior with a dollop of glue here and there.

Go with a long term solution and just replace them with urerthane tires. Shop around, the prices vary all over from about $20 up to $40.

Comment

Years ago truck tires used to do the cold weather flat spotting even when not so cold. The fix was to drive slow for a few miles or to let out most of the cold air and then blow them up with hot air from an air compressor that had been working hard. Awwwww the love for warmer weather.

After driving a few miles it was good to check the pressure and adjust as needed.

Comment

How old are the tires? If they are the stock tires and 5 years old they need to be replaced. If they are less than a year old call ridgid and ask for replacements or you may as well switch to urethane, they are not expensive and the saw will run nicer and urethane doesn't have aging issues if you release the tension for long time non-use.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

WOW Ridgid has still NOT addressed there bandsaw problems? Took forever to get mine up and running right, and through it all, they LOST alot of future tool sales by me, and I'm sure alot of other woodworkers too. I just thank my lucky stars that there jointer was good to go from the start, like all tools should be. I've spent a few more thousand on tools , and not one more has been a Ridgid brand because of my experience with there bandsaw. Their loss, NOT mine.

Comment

To be fair, their BS has never been known to be the jewel in their crown.
                  Their TS, jointer and planer are solid, well made and well designed and not known to have problems.
                  I paid about $100 for a new ridgid BS and it was well worth it. I think at $349 it is overpriced. It takes about $100 to make it a decent saw. Anyone should figure that into the price when they buy one.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I was being fair, I did mention the 6 inch jointer was good to go.
                    But because of the bandsaw, they lost all my future business.
                    I bought a Hybred Table Saw and could not be happier with my choice , far better than an entry lever contractors saw at best, and their only offering. It would be wise of Ridgid to offer a better model for those looking to upgrade as I was, a contractors saw was not even in the running of options as I already had one for many years and was looking to upgrade.
                    Last edited by American and Proud; 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I never did understand why they dont expand beyond their contractors saw,it has a good rep, an expanded line would get attention.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                      X