X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado blade insert??

Does anyone know where you can get an insert for the TS3650 that will accomidate a dado blade. Home Depot suggested I go to a welding shop and have one fabricated? It seems a plastic one would be cheaper, maybe there is a different brand that would fit I just am not sure.
    I like orange tools!!!!!

Re: Dado blade insert??

Hartness, I think you're speaking of a "Zero Clearance Insert"... as in the thing that goes on the top of the table around the blade. You can easily make one from MDF or plywood (1/2" of either). Since the ply or MDF isn't actually 1/2", to get it flush with the table surface, just use a little duct tape on the bottom of the area where the insert sits. It'll work fine.

To make the insert, take the orange one out, and use it as a template. The little piece at the back that sticks out; the tab piece; isn't really necessary as long as the insert isn't loose in the slot. Draw out your insert onto your material. You can do a rough cut with a jig saw or a band saw. Once you have the one rough-cut, stick the original back on with some double-sided tape, and use a router with a double-flute straight bit with a bearing. Use the original insert as the pattern. If you don't have a router or a bearing bit, you can cut out the material with a coping saw. Mark the location of the screw, then drill that out.

Attach your dado with the amount of width you want, then run the blade all the way down inside the saw. Put your new, blank, insert in the slot and clamp a long board over the part of the insert you think probably won't be hit by the blade (won't matter if it does, it'll cut through it too). Make sure the board is clamped pretty well. Turn on the saw and run the blade up through the new insert.

Tada. You now have a ZCI. When you're done, remove the ZCI and mark it with the width for that blade set. You can make many of these in different widths so you have one for all the different dado sizes.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I also write the blade,chippers and shims used for the width of the dado on the insert with a laundry marker (Sharpie). It makes next time set up a lot less of a hassle.

Comment

If you don't feel like making your own, you can order blank throat plate inserts from PeachTree. PeachTree's insert that fits the 3650 is their model 949.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The Peach Tree website is awesome I like their ZC Inserts. Even more I like the T-tracks since I am making my own router table. I'll have to order a few Inserts. Thanks BadgerDave!
          I like orange tools!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X