X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades for TP1300LS Planer

I am considering buying the TP1300LS planer, however, I understand that finding replacement blades are next to impossible (even from Ridgid). Is that the case or is there a ready source for replacement blades. Please tell me blades can be found easily because I'm ready to buy.

Re: Blades for TP1300LS Planer

I have purchased them from Home Depot (they usually have 4 or 5 sets at any one time.....at my store they are adjacent to the saw blades) as well as online. I have never had a problem finding them. If you need specifics, I will post them. If you get the TP1300LS you WILL NOT be disappointed!

Best Regards
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Some of the HD's will order the knives if you ask them to. Some will claim some kind of nonsense so they dont have to do any work.
      Check HD's website, they may be available online.
      I wouldn't worry about the knife availability, the planer comes with 2 sets and can be sharpened cheaply. Unless you are using your planer in a production environment they should last you many years.
      There are also 3rd party knives available in every imaginable size.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
        Some of the HD's will order the knives if you ask them to. Some will claim some kind of nonsense so they dont have to do any work.
        Check HD's website, they may be available online.
        I wouldn't worry about the knife availability, the planer comes with 2 sets and can be sharpened cheaply. Unless you are using your planer in a production environment they should last you many years.
        There are also 3rd party knives available in every imaginable size.
        Back the train up, 1st the knives can not be resharpened, 2nd HD normally has them in stock. 3rd they are a double sided knife and you get an extra set with the planner. 4 if they could be sharpened in my town they charge $ 1.00 per inch so lets see 13 inches x 4 because they are double sided = $ 52.00 a new set can be bought for $ 30.00. Now back to number 1 the planner has no jacking screws so if you sharpen the knife you cannot raise it back up to the correct level.
        Last edited by TOD; 03-15-2007, 06:26 AM.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Tod is 100% correct. I was in 2 different HDs yesterday and both had several sets. My 1300 is the old gray model. I have been using it for 6+years now. I changed my blades last year for the first time and not because they were dull, I missed a nail and chipped one. If you were to try and sharpen them then the thickness scale would be wrong on every board. Not worth the hassle. If you want to make sure, just buy a set when you buy the planer, that will give you 3 sets to start with.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks to all for helping make my decision. Looks like I'll have to make room in my shop for TP1300LS.

Comment

I've honed, not sharpened, my planer blades several times and they still function fine. My mistake for equating sharpen and hone.
              As to availability at HD, I've seen 1 set for sale at an HD in my town in the past 4 years. They were on a closeout sale for about $10, I bought them. I've never seen them available at any HD here since then, I believe they are available at some HDs, but not at any around here
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Picked up the TP1300LS from HD last night. Setup a breeze and test run
                A-OK. Included table legs and extra blades a real plus. Looking forward tackling my first project with this fine piece of equipment.

Comment

Hi Zeker,

First, congratulations on purchasing your planer. IMHO you will not be dissapointed. Did you happen to see the spare blades in your HD?

Also, almost as soon as I purchased and used the planer, I got very tired of sprinting (well, maybe jogging ) from the infeed to the outfeed position to hold the weight of a 10 foot board to avoid the snipe, so I made the pictured outfeed table out of scrap MDF (with 5 coats of paste wax) and plywood strips. The ear protection is mandatory (I personally think Ridgid should include them, but....). The ply table below is the outfeed for the TS. Works like a charm.

Z
                  Attached Files
                  “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Zenophus,
                    I'm sure I'll get around to making an outfeed table. Yours looks to be strudy and functional. BTW, I was killing some time in HD last night and saw a display with several sets of blades for the TS1300. Looks like they'll be there after I use up the ones that came with it and the extra set (yes, I found the extras hidden under the outfeed extension). I'll probably give the planer a real test this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                      Back the train up, 1st the knives can not be resharpened, 2nd HD normally has them in stock. 3rd they are a double sided knife and you get an extra set with the planner. 4 if they could be sharpened in my town they charge $ 1.00 per inch so lets see 13 inches x 4 because they are double sided = $ 52.00 a new set can be bought for $ 30.00. Now back to number 1 the planner has no jacking screws so if you sharpen the knife you cannot raise it back up to the correct level.
                      I agree with TOD, and I'll add that you're likely to go thru at least a set of knives a season if you're a hobbyist. YMMV depending on what you hit....I mean cut.

Comment

I only use the planer to thickness the wood and make the sides parallel. I hone the blades occasionally to keep them sharp. I dont care if there are minor imperfections since I always handplane or sand the final finish anyways. I get a lot of use out of a blade.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement for the Ridgid planer?

Comment

Freud makes one, I do not know the part number.
                            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

As far as work quality is concerned, the Ridgid planer is a very good tool. I have the later, orange bodied one and it works with little or no snipe as long as you remember to lock it.

As far the blades go, that's a another question, entirely. I've been hunting a set for a year and getting nothing but blank looks from HD and please hold from RIDGID. I went through the first set of knives planing 42 bf of very old, salvaged Doug Fir (it gets pretty hard and notches the knives sooner or later). The second set is finally reaching the end of their use life and I have more DF to plane so I've been looking for either RIDGID knives or an equivalent. I can't find them around Central California at all. Also, if there are other brands of knives that will fit the planer, I would really like that information.
                              Duster

Comment

Working...
                              X