Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 - Checking Blade Tilt & Squareness

Well, I'm going for the award for longest time to assemble the 3650

Following the manual I downloaded, I've just checked the blade (page 25)

I used this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-29&lpage=none

to check the Freud Thin Kerf blade for squareness and the forty five degree tilt. I also used a tri-square to double check. The tilt was off 1 degree and after adjusting for that I checked for squareness. It was also off about a degree.

Which raises a few questions. Shouldn't the check for square be performed before checking for heel?

Also, after adjusting for 45 degress, there's no way to adjust the bevel scale so that the pointer is at "0". If I try, the scale buckles.

And lastly, how is the tilt lock handle supposed to work? By sliding the handle off and pressing the spring towards the trunion and repostioning the handle back on the head of the rod? I'm confused.

Lance
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Re: 3650 - Checking Blade Tilt & Squareness

you are better off using a ts-aligner. check out the web site you can also get a precision square or triangle from them. no i am not affiliated. also make sure the trunion bolts are tight. i was surprised at how smooth my ts cut fresh out of the box. but after a day of cutting the blade was no longer parallel to the miter slot. turns out the trunion bolts were not tight enough. it took no effort to turn those bolts! i don't rely on the bevel scale. you're better off using the a precision gauge or triangle (no plastic protractors). good luck.

Comment

Thanks cadenz.

Been looking at that and similar. Think I might just get a "mighty mag" and a dial indicator for starters. But I am looking for something to set the blade bevel. This is starting to add up $$$ real quickly. But that's another thread.
      You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Comment

For setting the angle on the TS blade and gobs of other tools, get a Wixey.

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html
        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by KenM View Post
          For setting the angle on the TS blade and gobs of other tools, get a Wixey.

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html
          Cool tool! But don't forget to remove it before turning on the Saw!

Clato

Comment

Just sent that link to my wife's email!! LOL Birthday in May!!
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Clato View Post
              Cool tool! But don't forget to remove it before turning on the Saw!

Clato
              No, no Clato. That's how I get it back on the shelf! ;-D
              Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

No, no Clato. That's how I get it back on the shelf! ;-D

has anyone used this? i remember a thread that mentioned the table was off by .06 and was advised to either fix it or return it. so is .1 acceptable or not? i just ordered the ts-aligner too.

Comment

I recently bought a TS2400 and went through the alignment process. When it came to adjusting the 45 degree bevel I used a combination square and a speed square to set the angle of the blade. Doing that I found that the bevel scale was off by 1.5 degrees and I couldnt adjust it. Ridgid support told me to take it to a sevice center for repair. Well, I'm not one to drive 20 miles (one way) and be without my saw for god knows how long. So, I decided to live with it and use some other method of setting the blade to whatever bevel andle was needed. About a week later I ran across a post on this forum that mentioned the Wixey angle gauge. I checked out the web site and immediately saw the potential. I bought the gauge and went about rechecking the bevel angle on the TS2400. I zeroed the gauge to the table top and the set it on the blade. Guess what? The blade was off by 1.5 degrees at full tilt. I re-adjusted the stops and the bevel scale adjusted to 45 degrees. A little analysis of the problem has led me to believe that the amount of blade extending above the table top at 45 degrees is inadequate to make an accurate measurement using the combination square and/or a speed square. As far as accuracy goes, 0.1 degrees error equates to 0.22% at 45 degrees or 0.11% at 90 degrees. Not bad in my book. Just as a side note, I used the Wixey to align the new Bosch 4410L, made some test cuts and they were dead on. Only time and a few projects will tell, but I'm pretty impressed so far. -g.

Comment

The Wixey digital angle guage seems to be frivolous purchase... but once you have one you'll never want to cut anything on any angle without out. It's so simple to use, it's so friggin accurate, and it's well made.. it's a wonder it's so cheap! I'm not affiliated, but this is a shameless plug for a quality product.

I use it for my TS blade for every angle cut I make. I don't even care what the scale on the saw says at this point. ;-)

I'm glad to see another owner of a Bosch 4410L. I love this miter saw.... Anyway, I was installing some 8" baseboards just last night and my Starett miter angle tool said the corner needed to be an 18 degree cut (old house, go figure...). Whipped out the Wixey, set the bevel to 17.8 (close enough for an old house and holding that heavy motor at a precise angle isn't as easy as it sounds). Baseboards met up perfectly. I also use the Wixey to verify my 45 degree bevel angle so I can get clean scarf joints.

I also bought Wixey's digital sliding caliper. Again, accurate and well made. The displayed fractions are a wonderful feature.

Comment

Get the wixey.
                      The scale on the saw is fine if you are building barns, for woodworking it is not accurate enough, when you come back to 90 it will not be 90.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Can the Wixey be used to check your miter saw or does it just work to check the TS?

Comment

The digital angle gauge can be used to check your miter saw *bevel*, which is the tilting left or right on the vertical axis. It is not useful to check your miter angle... Unless you want to hold the miter saw on it's back while you adjust it. ;-)

Basically, just set the Wixey on your miter saw table and zero it. Then attach it to your blade with the magnets, being careful to align it on a very vertical axis. Ease your bevel over and watch the numbers.

Personally, I find for all my angle checks / adjustments it's easier to zero the Wixey on it's side, with the magnets facing towards your blade. This is not what the website or instructions say to do, but it works a lot better (after all, you're checking an angle change from the vertical, not the horizontal). Anyone else do it this way? Anyone do it the other way?

Comment

Ok so I realize that I am probably going to the deep end here...

I have to say all my tools are ridgid.
                            Jointer
                            Table saw 3650
                            Miter saw 12"

In an effort to tune my table saw, jointer and miter saw, I have purchased several tools to make me feel that I have done the most I can do to tune and align my tools, I have to say to feel very good, my table saw is producing results that I complitely trus its squarnes and paralellisim, and accuracy as far as withd.

I started with this tool:
                            http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11428
                            This tools supposely have an excellent dial indicator which you can not get unless you paid more than $100. for the dial indicator alone.
                            It is very simple to use and it is accurate.

The I bought this tool:
                            http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
                            Accuracy is .0006 I am very happy with is accuary.

Then I bought a Wixey, and Onec I was able to use the above tools I know that if I get 90 degress it is 90 degrees. ( yes you can use it on your miter saw.)

Then I bought
                            http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

this is a great help to set up the nives on my jointer. Ridgid of-cource...

Last but not least:
                            http://www.woodpeck.com/serx.html
                            you can never go wrong with a straight edge rule.

I am still missing a 45 degree angle reader to double check my wixey.
                            As I said before I have gone to the deep end but I just did not want to double check my work, wood and tools are too expensive and I wanted to build good quality project that I would feel very good about.

I am still learning but I am very happy with my projects to date.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X