X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 or BT3100?

Thanks to the great feedback that I received to a previous post, I have narrowed my table saw search to the TS2400 and the BT3100.

I give the edge to the BT3100 on account of the price, accuracy (measured only by what I have read/head).

I give the edge to the TS2400 for the portability, compactness and the warranty. I will need to move this saw from my basement to garage - this included a flight of stairs.

I have read posts on the Ryobi site about how accurate the Ryobi saw is but I would like a similar opinion from someone without a Ryobi bias. I understand that I might find a Ridgid bias here.

In particular, it would be helpful to get the first hand experience of someone that has used both saws for fishing work, furniture making and cabinetry.

Thanks for your help on this one.

woodguy

Woodguy, I can't say about the Ryobi, but I wouldn't take anything for my TS2400. I use it for everything and have never had a problem. The fence is great and the whole saw is accurate. Dan
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I have had a BT 3000 and I now own a TS 2400 and you can't compare the two. I found on my 3000 the sliding table was well, to be honest, crap and the fence to be very good. But the TS 2400 has an excellent fence , is very portable and lots of power. The 3000 has three screws to remove the throat plate and the 2400 has one.

PS. The reason they called it the 3000 was because this was the number of times required to adjust the @#$%@#$ sliding table. (a task I never did master)

Hope this helps
      Mike

Comment

The 2400 is far and away the better saw...you should seriously consider the extra $$ spent as an investment that will last a long time.
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I personaly own both saws (the TS2400 and BT3000) currently, and I also have two crews using the rigid 3612.
          The answer to your question requires you to answer a one more....
          How are you going to use it?

I love the portability of the TS2400. It is a fairly rugged little saw. If you are going to bang it around in the back of a van as I do, it is a good choice. I have had it a little over a year now.

BUT.... the Ryobi is MUCH more accurate. More accurate than the 3612 as well. The rip fence is superior to all but the most expensive after market versions. The sliding miter table is a feature I have come to love. I have made many nice pieces with the Ryobi.
          I have none of the alleged "hard to adjust, constantly needing adjustment" problems. I have owned it for a little better than three years now and would buy it again.

I seen Ryobi owners accused of being a cult or biased, well I know of no other saw that deserves such esteem. It is an advancement over the 1930's technology of most table saw.

just my humble opinion

Comment

I Have a BT3000 and have used my son's TS2412. Both are excellent saws. TheBT3X00 is very different in design. With normal ordinary care, its alignment is very durable. I have experienced no inaccuracy, no lack of repeatability with the sliding miter table. I also have two double slot miter tables that I use mostly for jigs. I have an extension table to the right that includes a 3HP router. I regularly cut 10/4 and 12/4 oak and maple without difficulty. My son does likewise with his 2412. Both excellent tools. I guess i second the comments above.

Sincerely,

Mike Narges

Comment

If you are regularly going to be moving your saw, there is no question about getting the 2400, as it's made for this and even some happy BT owners have said it doesn't hold it's accuracy when moved around.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                If you are regularly going to be moving your saw, there is no question about getting the 2400, as it's made for this and even some happy BT owners have said it doesn't hold it's accuracy when moved around.
                Let me clarify, by moving it around I meant hauling it around in a Van or truck. Moving it around a shop has no effect on accuracy.

Moving the Ridgids the same way affects thier accuracy as well. But due to their more basic design there is simply less to recalibtrate.

If you want to carry a saw around to the job site in a vehicle, the 2400 hard to beat.In fact I will not be buying any more 3612's for our crews as we add them. We will be using 2400's. They are accurate enough for most work we do, the stand is great, and they take up less space. After looking at the Bosch,DeWalt, and new Ryobi Portable (BT20)saws, I think the 2400 a good package.

If you want a larger saw and it is not being transported unless you have a LARGE TRUCK it is hard to beat the features of the Ryobi BT3 series.
                It can do anything more expensive contractor saws can do except rust. And its advanced features appeal to me. Its accuracy is unsupassed by saws costing several times as much. I could buy a cabinet saw to get the same results but choose not to because I just can't justify the cost. I can and have made alot of nice furniture on the Ryobi.

Comment

amen to that old9 i cant fault my bt at all eventhough the ridgid is a fine saw anyone who's seen "dave in carns" work can tell its the operator that makes the equipment bill

Comment

Originally posted by bvww:
                    amen to that old9 i cant fault my bt at all even though the ridgid is a fine saw anyone who's seen "dave in carns" work can tell its the operator that makes the equipment bill
                    He (Dave in Cairns) is awesome... Thats a fact. He throws out better stuff than I wil ever make.

Comment

Working...
                    X