Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3650 Table not true by .006 = OK?

Thanks for the suggestions Woussko.

If the problem is mostly with high spots...
    I think it is high in some spot because you can rock the straight edge and get a reading on either end of the diagonal.

But for now I've gotten to where I'm trying to figure out the fence (which I really like). It seems not to glide easily; and the roller on the fence, it's not making contact with the front rail. I'll look at that tomorrow...
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Comment

.006" is one thing, but if it's .080" that's over 2mm - I wouldn't accept that.

Are you measuring .008" or .080" ? that's nearly 3/32"

Comment

Re: 3650 Table not true by .080 = OK?

Please noooooo.....

It's definitely .080

Measured by yours truly and separately by his neighbor.
        Last edited by Hooligan; 03-17-2007, 11:06 PM.

Comment

That's no good!

Crap, you got me curious, now I gotta go measure my top...

Comment

Hoo

I have a bad feeling your table saw is going back soon. There may well be more than just the table to deal with. HD is very ruff with things and machinery needs more TLC. You might get a good replacement, but then you may not. Be sure they will let you do some checks in the store if you do plan to replace it. If not, try to get a refund. Normally it is a pretty good machine, but when spending good $$$, I want good dealer support too. The 0.08 and not 0.008 is just too much. That really would take work to flatten out. On a good cabinet style table saw they go for a plus/minus of 0.002 inches. If your table is bowed / warped, then it should go back. That may well be part of the fence issue.

Comment

Try this and please report your findings.

Take a good level and place it front-back and near one side of the table. Now work hard to get it level. Now put it front-back but near the other edge and again shim the feet to make it level. Now go back to the starting side and check it. You may need to do this several times. When you get the above done well, place the level with ends running side to side and near the front and then the back of the table and get things as level as you reasonably can. Now let it sit overnight and then try the straight edge test the next day. Please let us know what happens.

If it seems like a bow or twist in the table, my bet is that it goes back to HD. But, be sure the machine is good and level first and then check it.

Comment

a buddy of mine does precision machining.

he is machining custom hi end porsche carbs. he has to line bore the throttle shaft to better than .0002'' lots of surface grinding to flatten out his jigs. even the drill guide bushings are not that close.

.08 is a lot to be off on a precision machine. i don't know if a table saw is considered precision? i guess if a board rocks when laid flat, that's not a good thing.

measure a saw on display before they all get taken off display

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

ok ok now you all have me me wondering i went out and checked my"portable"lol walker turner and front to back it shows .064"out and left to right is .097"out but hey it was only made in 1935 so then i tried my oliver saw with a much larger table and front to back is .017" and side to side is only .008". sadly i have to say that i have been using that walker turner for the last 10 years but not that i now know that it is that far out i think i pack it up and take it back and demand a new one. the point here is this. one i never knew it was that far off. two is your work that good that you will notice it? if it is i some how dout you would have been buying a "contractors saw" to begin with. you say that your neighbor has a $3000 saw and for some reason i think you are having saw envy. i am not trying to give you a hard time but my point is this. you have 90 days to take the saw back so use it for a month or two and see if you can live with it. but just to take it back to me is nuts because you are some where around one to two degrees off. will you ever notice that?? just my two cents
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

"shim the feet to make it level."

Alternatively you could use the leveling screws on each leg.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Gotta run, but I thought I'd post some quick replies:

i think you are having saw envy.
                      Honestly not. From all the reviews and user comments I was more than excited about getting the 3650. Both here and on another Forum, I'm getting mixed replies - it's to far out, bring it back - it's not a Porsche carb, keep it. Bekieve me, I WANT to keep it. As I said on another Forum, after going with those whose said to keep it:

//edit - ya know, what with the hassle of trying to get service from the droids at Home Depot (you wouldn't believe my story of dealing with them today) and this that and the other, I'm just gonna keep the thing and if I ever get skilled enough to build a Hepplewhite wardrobe - I'll worry about it then.
                      Now I admit and always have, to being a complete novice, But if eight miter cuts to make a picture frame is going to be futile because of the warp, bow or whatever is not right with the table, then I feel it should be returned. If it won't then, I'm more than happy to keep it.

As for my neighbor, he is just that, and a good one, truth be told. The fact that he probably has a mid 5 figure woodworking shop nearly as large as my house is to his benefit.

Try this and please report your findings.

Take a good level and place it front-back...
                      OK. All this will take me some time and I won't be able to get to it till the end of next week.

Again, all the feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks - Lance

Comment

The table surface being off a little bit doesn't usually equate to a deviation of similar magnitude on the workpiece when cut. The final result of your cuts should be your guide. If the results of your work are unacceptably imprecise, then return the saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                          Gotta run, but I thought I'd post some quick replies:

Honestly not. From all the reviews and user comments I was more than excited about getting the 3650. Both here and on another Forum, I'm getting mixed replies - it's to far out, bring it back - it's not a Porsche carb, keep it. Bekieve me, I WANT to keep it. As I said on another Forum, after going with those whose said to keep it:

Now I admit and always have, to being a complete novice, But if eight miter cuts to make a picture frame is going to be futile because of the warp, bow or whatever is not right with the table, then I feel it should be returned. If it won't then, I'm more than happy to keep it.

As for my neighbor, he is just that, and a good one, truth be told. The fact that he probably has a mid 5 figure woodworking shop nearly as large as my house is to his benefit.

OK. All this will take me some time and I won't be able to get to it till the end of next week.

Again, all the feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks - Lance
                          If you can rock a strait edge on your table top it is a .o6 to .08 dip. Your
                          strait edge would not even notice a .006 over a twenty inch surface. The
                          TS3650 is a good saw, exchange it without question. I have worked in machine shops since 1987, and believe me- **** happens!!!.

good luck Bob

Comment

Maybe I'm fussier than others but being off by .08 would bother me. Maybe it won't make a difference in the results of the cuts but just knowing that it's off would bug the he** out of me. Why be stuck with a bunk saw when you could exchange it for one with a flatter table. I'll probably get flamed for this post but it's just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                            X