3650 Table not true by .006 = OK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 Table not true by .006 = OK?

Sorry for the cross post but this is my first table saw and after having gotten to the point in assembly where I've checked the blade and tilt tolerances, I thought I should check the table to see if it was flat. It's not.

The table (not the extensions) is low from approximately the throat to the back, when I lay a straight edge diagonally from the right side front to the left side rear at least 6 thousandths. It's flat left fron to right rear.

What is an acceptable tolerance? If this was your saw, would you keep it.

Lance
    Last edited by Hooligan; 03-17-2007, 11:04 PM.
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Re: 3650 Table not true by .006 = OK?

i would keep it
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

First off, how do you know your reference (straight edge) is perfect, and not maybe off by a couple thousandths? Is it traceable to some standard and does it carry a calibration sticker? If your reference instrument (straight edge) is that good are you compensating for the temperature of the table top and the straight edge?

The table top (excluding the extensions) is 27" deep and 20" wide, so diagonally the distance is about 33.5". What's that work out to something like
      % error?

It could be an additive error you are reading, i.e., a combination of error in the straight edge and also in the table top, or it may all be in the top or all in the straight edge.

I can't see this being a problem for the average woodworker. Don't loose any sleep over it or break your back taking it back to the store for a replacement or for a refund.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I'll keep it.

But I've used three different straight edges, and on the right side of the table I can't see any light under them (for instance) but on the left they all "rock" up and down and I can slip a six thousandths feeler under at the far left an drag it all the way to the throat.

Just a bit disappointing.

Comment

Did you make sure the saw was level side to side and back to front? I've read in some magazines that the weight of the saw itself is enough to twist the top if not on a level surface.
          Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Mine might be the same, I'm not even gonna check it out, its no big deal its a contractor saw. If you want a perfect 100% table its gonna cost a minimum 2 grand as mentioned before, and what about your floor is that perfectly level, what about heat and moisture is that in perfect condition, what about your lumber your going to be using, is that 100% square and straight no cupping and twist. I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude, but your problem is something you can live with, it shouldn't have really no effect on your craftsmanship. But if you are going to keep it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, over all I think its a really nice saw. Good luck with your saw, I enjoy mine almost every single day, just love it...
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Use some self-leveling floor cement!

Seriously though, it's a contractors saw, not a woodworker's cabinet saw. You can't expect it to be like a $3000 Laguna table saw...

Comment

Sorry, I've got this double posted in Tips as well. But like I said there:

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Davet
                .006" may be out for a machine mill, but is to me plenty good for a woodworking saw table.

Are you sure it's .006" or is it .060" ?

err...yeah .060 Sorry.

Does that make a difference?

Also, did a quick check a minute ago and it seems to be closer to .080 now. I checked it in the morning when the table was cold(er).

Comment

You got to make sure if we are talking .006" or .060"
                  .060" is almost 1/16" Big Diff.

I wouldnt want my table any more than .010 - .020" off, ....setting level and on level ground.
                  but thats thats me. Opinions may vary on this.

Heck to me, If I cut a board and its square using a square ...I'm happy.
                  Last edited by Davet; 03-17-2007, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Re: 3650 Table not true by .080 = OK?

My neighbor just came by with a straight straight edge, and the tables of by .08.

Even tho it's more technology than I know how to use yet, I'm going to return it and check the table of the new one in the HD Store before I leave.
                    Last edited by Hooligan; 03-17-2007, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Wow You Are Picky
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

.08 on a contractors saw wouldn't bother me. I've never checked mine, could be more for all I know. I dont blame you for taking it back if it bothers you, it's a lot of money to not be happy with your new saw. Keep us informed, I'm curious if you can find one that is flatter.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Wow You Are Picky
                          A littel maybe, more to the point is I don't know what is acceptable. I THINK I do now.

.08 on a contractors saw wouldn't bother me.
                          OK OK Everyone I'll keep it.

- my neighbor does have a $3K saw and more, and that's probably why he suggested I return it.

I began the day by continuing to assemble the saw with the decision to keep it. Then, re-reading all the replies (some of which say .08 isn't acceptable) he comes by with a fancy straight edge and finds it .08 -which now on second thought seem to be caused by the middle of the table 'cause ...arrgghhh - who cares -I"LL KEEP IT )

Comment

Let the results guide you.
                            After you have the thing assembled and tuned make sure you can make square cuts. If you can then the flatness is fine, if you cant then you need to determine what is causing the bad cut.
                            I find that when my cuts are not square that the blade is not square to the table.
                            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Hooligan

Have your neighbor show you how much his table saw table is out of flat doing the exact same test. Does your table have a sharp dip or rise in it? Put another way is it bumpy or is this gradual? I wish I could see how and where the straight edge tests were done. Maybe both of you can go to HD and also maybe to Lowes and check tables on several display models. How about your legs and feet? You might try placing thin shims under the feet to level the saw and help deal with any twisting.

If the problem is mostly with high spots they can be ground down using a belt sander and Aluminum Oxide belts. Change to a very fine grit belt to finish and do the final work by hand. Yes that is a pain but it can be done. Any serious low spots would be reason to return the table saw if they do bother you when using it. Before returning it, I would work on leveling and shimming the feet first.
                              Last edited by Woussko; 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X