Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Going to buy a TS2400LS table saw. Any advice (where, when, what accesories, etc)?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to buy a TS2400LS table saw. Any advice (where, when, what accesories, etc)?

Hi all:
    Thanks to this forum I decided to buy the Ridgid TS2400SL portablesaw and not the Bosch. Thanks a lot to all members that took their time to share their experiences. (The imported article by MSchenker from 03-20-2005 was outstanding!)
    Any suggestions regarding where I can get it for the best price and if there are any accesories worth buying with the saw, from those that are using it?
    I am going to use it for general use (DIY home improvement).
    Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Saul

Re: Going to buy a TS2400LS table saw. Any advice (where, when, what accesories, etc)

Congrats on the new saw. I'm not currently using a 2400, but I'll suggest a good saw blade or two, and perhaps an aftermarket miter gauge...great additions to any saw. Some feather boards and push sticks are always handy too.

A good thin kerf general purpose blade will be invalueable to you. A decent rip blade is handy for thick stock too. Forrest is always a safe bet for quality but is also on the more expensive end. Ridge Carbide, Infinity, and some of the better DeWalt's and Freud's are top quality as well. My top recommendation would be to go with the Freud LU88R010 60T blade for ~ $45 shipped, complimented by Freud LU87R010 24T for ripping. Shouldn't be much you can't handle with that duo in your inventory.

The Incra V27 is a nice miter gauge at ~ $60, but Hartville tool currently has a sale that includes an aluminum fence for it for $60.....sounds like a winner to me!

http://www.hartvilletool.com/V27 deal

http://www.epinions.com/V27 review

http://www.amazon.com/Freud LU88 and LU87

http://www.epinions.com/LU88 review
    Last edited by hewood; 03-17-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Re: Going to buy a TS2400LS table saw. Any advice (where, when, what accesories, etc)

Sol

If you don't have one, get yourself a nice Combination Square. I like the ones with a 12 inch rule, but look over several and choose what you like best. Please see below for a few examples. This is a tool you'll keep around and that should last you a long time. After you think about how you can use it, you'll love having one.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 03-17-2007, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Things I've purchased due to requirement (instead of the hey that looks neat and it'd be real handy to have rule...):

Combo square, 12"
        Machinists' square set (Woodcraft has a nice set on sale that has a caliper with it)
        Digital caliper
        Dial indicator. Grizzly has a good set on sale http://www.grizzly.com/products/H3022 . It includes a good caliper, if you want to skip the digi one for now.
        Dust masks. I get the throw-away kind for now, as my DC works pretty well.
        wet/dry vac + extra filters (the Ridgid 17-gal works great for me).
        Flat tape. Different from your regular tape measure in that it sits FLAT on the wood!!! In lieu of that, a woodworkers z-style measure is a good idea.
        Pencils. Lots and lots of pencils. Everywhere.
        A good, calibrated, long square rule. This helps in lining up the splitter and the blade, as well as various other things in and around the shop!!
        A variety of levels. I have one 5', one 3', and a small 6"er. I plan on getting another 3' level, as the one I have is home-made and is showing it's age.
        Nuts and bolts that fit in the t-tracks. These are for making jigs.
        A GOOD blade. At least one. Freud, Ridge, or Forrest WWII. Hewood posted the best place to get the Freuds. I just ordered mine a couple weeks ago.

The blade should be purchased when you get the saw. The one that comes with it is ...well, not so great! It'll make a huge difference when you get into serious cuts. Amazon is pretty good about delivering on time. Thanks, Hewood, for posting the link!!!

Enjoy your saw! You will find you'll get the accessories one by one. Take your time with them, and get good ones. Don't skimp on price, but shop around.
        Last edited by VASandy; 03-17-2007, 12:45 PM. Reason: I didn't read Hewood's post all the way thru...
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You may want some manor of hearing protection. I like the little foam ear plugs by EAR myself, but there is lots to select from. The type that look like headphones are nice too. Easy on and easy off if the phone rings or such.

A good "full face" shield is a must too.

Comment

Wow, guys, I just left for a minute the shelves I am doing in the basement, just to check if there is ANY response.... THANKS A LOT!!!
            That's a lot of good information!
            I really appreciate it. As soon as I am done with the basement I'll re-read and start ordering.
            Thanks again. Saul

Comment

Not sure what the humidity is like in MD but you should take care to protect the saws top and wings from rusting. My favorite it a combination of a coat of TopCote followed by a couple of coats of Johnson's Paste Wax. There are other products available, such as Boeshield T-9 that will do the same thing as the TopCote will. However, there are few products that will do what the Johnson's will. DO NOT use any kind of wax that contains silicone such as most automotive car waxes. The silicone can be transferred onto your work pieces which will cause problems when you apply your finish.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BD makes a good point about humidity and being not that far away, I would recommend that if you can do so, please store the table saw inside your house rather than in a garage. The TopCoat and good paste wax on the table sure does work wonders. Be sure to rub-buff it well.

As for the list, here are a few more ideas to think over.

If you'll need an extension cord, go for 12-3 up to 50 feet and 10-3 if longer. A good inline or receptacle GFCI is a must for your own safety. Several good blades are a must.
                Last edited by Woussko; 03-17-2007, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks to you all for your responses. I am starting now to search for what you told me about. It will take me probably some days, since I am a full time teacher in my "free time" but eventually I will get back to the forum, probably with some more questions.

Comment

It's not too late to return it and get the Bosch...

Comment

That's interesting! Why did you say that? Do you REALLY think the Bosch is better or just joking? (After I get your answer I'll tell you why I said it's interesting.... )

Comment

I believe the Bosch 4000-09 with the Gravity-Rise stand is the best portable contractor saw out there. It's the quietest and smoothest running portable saw I've seen. The stand works flawlessly. The fence is dead-on. With a WW blade the cuts are almost like a cabinet saw.

If you're not using the saw professionally and you're happy with the Ridgid, than that's all that matters...

Comment

I check "Craigslist" and buy giftcards at reduced prices. I saved $75+ using this method and then bought a nice blade, push stick and square. Note; the saw has small dust slits on the vac. port that clog very easy, check and clean often or you will have dust in your face.

Comment

Re: Going to buy a TS. Any advice- Ridgid/Bosch (where, when, what accesories, etc)?

Monday, April 09, 2007
                            Hello all:
                            Sorry for being away such a long time. Too many things to do, too little time for it.
                            I never owned a decent TS (although I do all the maintenance/remodeling etc’ in my house and have professionally built houses from base to top and all between them). I use an old Rockwell bought in a garage sale for $16, was happy with it and never saw the need for a new one until recently started finishing my basement.
                            I still did not buy it; need to decide between the Ridgid and Bosch. (See what I meant, Newman?)
                            I am not in a rush, taking my time to check, so eventually will buy the best I can afford for my budget and my needs.
                            I had been reading all about it on this forum and everywhere else. Read about both good things and need to try them myself, feel the tool and decide after.
                            One thing I could use help: if someone who reads this, owns one of the above, lives near by me (New Market, MD), is willing to share his/her experience with the saw and let me cut some pieces of wood it could be great. (I am going to put an ad in my local community newspaper also, hoping it will help).
                            Regarding the ACCESSORIES LIST I got here from you:
                            Before I start, the good news (hope so) : some days ago I bought on eBay an Incra 1000SE and the Miter Express Sled for $247 including S&H. I think I made a good deal, regarding the quality and the price.
                            Still need to buy:
                            1-Freud LU88R010 60T
                            2-Freud LU87R010 24T
                            3-12” Combination/Combo Square.
                            4-Machinists' square set
                            5-Digital caliper
                            6-Dial indicator
                            7-A good long square rule.
                            8-TopCote+ Johnson's Paste Wax

I think that covers all you have said. I did not include what I already have. Is there anything else to consider? (Featherboard, etc'?). If yes, please be specific about recommendations (brand name/model #/etc'). Thanks.
                            Now, regarding the TS and accessories: my approach is that, rather than a cheap-great-deal tool, or one that will last 50 years I prefer a tool that whenever I need it, it will work for me and will WORK GOOD!
                            The trick is to define my needs and after I have done that, I will buy the best I can. If I do not have the budget now, I will wait until I do and buy it then, but I do not like to compromise the quality of my tools, according to my needs. (Sometimes a cheap made in China one will be enough).
                            My needs: a portable good reliable TS for general remodeling jobs around my house (not furniture building).
                            My budget: it will be a 2 birthdays (2 years) present from my wife; so, it is kind of “whatever I need” (but since it is eventually coming from the same pocket and we work hard for our money I do not want to “overbuy” unneeded stuff).
                            In addition, before the end, two questions: Newman, do you own a Bosch? Are1: i was not even AWARE you can do something like buying (or selling) gift cards at reduced prices. How do you do that? How can you make sure it is a good one?
                            Ok, that will be it, let me thank you all again for your help and support. I feel this is a great help for me!!!
                            Have a great week and looking forward for your answers/feedback/etc’.
                            Saul
                            Last edited by Sol; 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Sol

1. Is there any way you could afford say 4 feet by 6 feet of storage space and a bit more when using it? You might really want to save up and look at a more serious table saw such as either a good Contractor's model like the Ridgid TS3650 or there are loads of others made too. Now if you can find a great deal on a good used cabinet style table saw like a Delta Unisaw or a Powermatic 66 grab the beast. You'll have a real investment.

2. For what this may be worth, you might want to stop by the Middletown Fire Dept. grounds on Friday, June 29 in the afternoon and plan to stay well into the night. There's going to be a public auction there and you might get lucky and pickup some good deals on tools. Bring anything you want to get rid of too. Normally it's an 80% for seller, 20% for them and buyers pay 5.0% state sales tax. I haven't seen any table saws there, but have seen quite a few nice hand tools and some smaller power tools. It's mostly farm and garden stuff, but you never know what you'll find. Sometimes there's some nice hand made or antique furniture for sale. The main auction will start about 5pm and if you want to sell anything come in the early afternoon. Be sure to sign up for bidding before it starts.

Where is it? Old US40 and route 17 in Middletown, MD. At the light turn and head south on route 17. Then look for signs or ask at the fire department building as needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X