X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquired 3650 this morning!

New here. Thanks all, for having this forum. Purchased the Ridgid 3650 TS a couple of hours ago, have it all unpacked and all seems to be accounted for. One question so far; do I really need to clean the packing grease/oil from the top before flipping the saw right side up? Will I run into problems later if I choose not to clean it till it's right side up? Thanks for any and all speedy responses.
    regards,
    galerdude

Re: Aquired 3650 this morning!

You can clean it off whenever the mood strikes you.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      You can clean it off whenever the mood strikes you.
      But at a minimum before the first piece of wood passes across the table.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the others, clean when you want. It does look nice though, all shiney before your first cut. Enjoy the saw, I enjoy mine.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Welcome, galerdude. You're gonna love your saw! I didn't clean mine until I was done handling it. Clean it up with mineral spirits and then get a coat of was, Boeshield or some sort of protector on it becuse it will rust quickly. It happens so subtly that you hardly notice it coming on but you son have a dull patina on the surface. I neglected to keep mine waxed for the first year and after I sanded the surface with a 3-M pad I couldn't believe it was the same table. Do a search and you'll find all sorts of info on these preparations but at least do the wax if you're going to strip the grease before you treat it. Stores like Woodcraft, Rocklers and Sears have these preps. Have a blast.

Chiz
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Boeshield is ok on woodworking tools? I've heard y'all talk about this product on your saw-tops, and now I'm getting real curious. I've use Boeshield on my guns. It's incredibly good at preventing rust. Considering how much rust you can get on a black-powder rifle (that will ONLY shoot honest, real black powder and not that new-fangled stuff), Boeshield has saved that fine old rifle for me. If there's no problems with it and wood, then woohoo!! I know it hasn't affected the finish on the wooden furniture on the rifle, so I think I'll give it a go!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Everything went really well with the assembly. Cleaned the top after flipping right side up and put a coat of Johnson's paste wax on it. It's what I had in the shop and has served me well before. Absolutely love the saw! This forum had a lot to do with my final decision, Thanks! The only adjustment made was with the blade to miter slot; it was .024" out of parallel. Was able to get it within .003", which I'm happy with. Will be upgrading the blade this week, have it, just not mounted. And of course, a miter gauge will be a near future aquisition, but heck, after sawing with my Shopsmith Mark V for 25 years, this TS is an absolute dream!

regards,
              galerdude

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                Boeshield is ok on woodworking tools? I've heard y'all talk about this product on your saw-tops, and now I'm getting real curious. I've use Boeshield on my guns. It's incredibly good at preventing rust. Considering how much rust you can get on a black-powder rifle (that will ONLY shoot honest, real black powder and not that new-fangled stuff), Boeshield has saved that fine old rifle for me. If there's no problems with it and wood, then woohoo!! I know it hasn't affected the finish on the wooden furniture on the rifle, so I think I'll give it a go!
                Keep in mind that Boeshield makes at least 3 separate products...blade n bit cleaner, rust remover, and rust preventer. The rust preventer is called T-9 and works very well. Wood Mag tested a bunch of removers and preventers, with the T-9 being the most effective at prevention.

Here's my process:
                Scrub any rust with a rust remover or WD-40 and a scotch brite/steel wool/or 600 grit sandpaper, clean the top well with mineral spirits, dry, apply T-9 and wipe down, allow to dry completely, followup with a couple of coats of Johnson's paste wax. I do this about twice a year with excellent results in western NY's climate in an unheated garage, and apply it to my TS, jointer, and BS.
                Last edited by hewood; 03-22-2007, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by galerdude View Post
                  <snip> ... after sawing with my Shopsmith Mark V for 25 years, this TS is an absolute dream!

regards,
                  galerdude
                  Same here. The new table top felt like an acre of territory after the mini table of the SS, didn't it?!

Have fun,
                  Chiz
                  Later,
                  Chiz

Comment

I've got a SS Mark V that I'm going to be refurbing to use as a lathe (I hope). In it's way, the SS is a tremendous tool. I just can't imagine using it as a TS with that teeny little top!! I hope it works good for a lathe, though!
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                      I've got a SS Mark V that I'm going to be refurbing to use as a lathe (I hope). In it's way, the SS is a tremendous tool. I just can't imagine using it as a TS with that teeny little top!! I hope it works good for a lathe, though!
                      I inherited my dads SS a few years ago and never used a lathe till then. I'm no expert, but it done nicely. The only regret is there aren't many aftermarket accessories for it, you have to go thru ShopSmith. I also used it as a horizontal drill, pretty sweet for my needs. Enjoy...
                      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
                      X