X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Comparison

I'm buying a new table saw. I've narrowed it down to either a Rigid TS3650 or a GrizzlyG0575. I'd appreciate any observations, opinions,or experience that anyone might have with either one.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Saw Comparison

Like anything there are pros and cons to each. Both are comparably capable of cutting wood accurately, so from there it's most important to get the one YOU like best, which is a personal choice. You'll likely find many Ridgid supporters here on the "Ridgid" website.. (go figure!)

There are some feature differences worth noting. The Griz's strongest plus IMO is it's sturdy steel Biesemeyer clone fence that's simple to use, accurate, and rugged. It also comes with a fairly nice cast iron miter gauge, and comes stock with a 4" dust port. The 3650 has a built in mobile base, cast iron wings, serpentine drive belt, and a nifty cam adjuster for aligning the blade.

Pick a color and a design and live happily ever after.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll let you know how the marriage goes.

Comment

Maybe I'm a whacko, but I really like the Ridgid fence more than the Bessemeyer clones. The Ridgid fence doesn't rack when I move it. I can add lots of jigs to the fence, due to the T-slots builit into it. That plus the mobile base and the top made the difference for me. The trunion on the 3650 is simple enough to deal with. Although, I haven't had to true a blade yet. They all sit fine on the saw.

There's lots of others that will disagree with me on the fence. That's the way of things, and it's fine. That's called individuality, and I'll applaud that.

Plus..orange is such a cool color!!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          Plus..orange is such a cool color!!
          I like orange, too...

- djb
          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

If you (like most of us) need to move the saw out of the way when not in use, the Ridgid is the definite choice.

Frank
            Frank sigpic

Comment

The Herc lift is nice but you can add a lift to any saw. Much more expensive to add something like a Beismeir fence if that's something you want.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                I like orange, too...

- djb
                Oh Yeah!

Bummer he got 'beat' so close to the finish at Atlanta yesterday. :-(
                Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by KenM View Post
                  Oh Yeah!

Bummer he got 'beat' so close to the finish at Atlanta yesterday. :-(
                  JJ's pretty tough these days, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch win constantly!

Comment

One thing that factored in for me was money. I bought the Ridgid 3650 because I could put it on my new Home Depot card. If you get a new card you also get 10% off your first purchase. So 10% off plus a year to pay it off made it a great deal for me. And I love the saw.

Comment

Strangely I came up with the same two alternatives as you did. I chose the Ridgid after trying a hands on thing at the local HD, something I wasn't able to do with the Griz. After using it for 9 months I can say that the best thing about the Ridgid is the fence. The mitre gage is so-so and I ended upp buying an after-market one for mine with a cross-cut fence. It's a plus to have a dealer near (even if it is HD) to argue with.
                      I say don't let the fence bother you. There is none better than Ridgid's. The Hercu-Lift is great, but I'm sure not unique.

Does this help?

Blind Bill

Comment

i opened a commercial account and got $200 of my first tool purchase. i am happy!

Comment

got my ts-aligner the other day and finally had a chance to take some measurements. blade is a little warped (.002"). not to worry, that's getting replaced as soon as i finish my flooring project. arbor runout is better than .001" and flange at first had a runout of .001'. i could also feel something dragging the stylus so i got my microfiber and cleaned it up and now it's better than .001". i haven't checked the fence but the biggest disappointment so far is the table. the left side of the table, close to the fence is off by .002". but... that's still GOOD, right?...RIGHT!

i was going to get an incra miter gauge but with my new aligning jig i can't set up angles accurately with my miter gauge. anyone know of a good fix for the stock miter gauge play?

Comment

"good fix for the stock miter gauge play?"

Have not tried this yet but am going to this weekend.... read a tip in a magazine, can't remember issue, about putting aluminum tape, for wrapping heat ducts, on each side of the miter bar and trimming to fit. Sounds good but like I said, have not tried yet. Also do a search in the forum as I remember reading about other suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by cadenz View Post
                              anyone know of a good fix for the stock miter gauge play?
                              Here is a "quick and dirty" tip I've used in the past... it actually works quite well

"use a center punch to make 3 or 4 "dimples" on each side of your bar. This will create an expansion of he metal around the dimples, which is usually sufficient to make the bar fit snugly in the slot. If you overdo it, use a file or emery paper to sand them down a bit to achieve the proper fit."

(copied the above text from http://www.theworkshop.net/Tips/wood...k_tips.htm#saw )

Another method would be to drill and tap 3 or 4 holes along each side of the bar and install some small threaded nylon rod with slots cut in end to adjust in or out to take up the play.
                              Cheers! - Jim
                              -------------
                              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X