X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today at the Woodworking Show

I made it out to Chantilly despite the 8" of snow we got yesterday. I was happy to see the vendors made it too!! It's a great show, if you get the chance to get to one I highly recommend it. I sat in on a discussion on finishes by one of the magazine guys that was very enlightening. Lie-Neilsen was there...so I got to drool over their new stuff. Those new plane-maker's floats are just the bee's knees!!

Ridgid was indeed there! A nice booth setup, with lots of working tools you could play with. I ended up with a random orbit sander and a jig saw both for $144. Plus, I got a t-shirt and a cap!!! The tools are refurbs, but they both work just fine and all the stuff was there. They even both came in nice boxes.

I also finally got to see the Saw Stop. He actually let me push the hot dog into the blade. I gotta say, if you've never seen this system in action, it's worth the time. Honestly, before I even knew it the saw blade was stopped and GONE!!! The hot dog had the smallest little nick in it. Impressive to say the least. That was pretty much my highlight of the trip, though there were many many other things there.

I finally got to see the Grrripper tool in action. This is a nifty little hand-hold for working with your table saw and router. The price is a bit stiff, but I bit the bullet and got one anyway. It's a very handy little thing, and will help a lot with making those little boxes I'm so fond of.

The new Jet clamps are very nice. IMO, they're way better than the Bessey's. The Bessey's are pretty fine to begin with, the Jet merely improves on them a good bit. The Jet clamp locks in place on the bar, so it won't slam down on your fingers. It's easy to move around, thanks to a little lever that releases the pressure plates. One nifty thing they added was a rough inch scale on the bar. Handy when you go to put your 12" panel in there, so you can set the clamp just a little past that and you'll have room to set the panel in. The clamp face is also much bigger than the Bessey.

Went to a little booth from Eagle Jigs guys. These guys have some of the nifty little widgits that make life that much easier in the shop. I got their little block that makes it way easy to set up lines and cuts. I also got their scraper burnisher block. Each of these is very well machined and tremendously well thought-out. I didn't get the router jig, although it is really nice. I'd love to be able to have bought so many things there, but sadly...I ain't Rockefeller!

That's the highlights, but definatley not the whole show. There's lots to see and do there. It's really worth your time to check it out if you have a chance.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: Today at the Woodworking Show

Maybe next year I'll make it as that's not all that far for me. I did go to one up north of Baltimore at the state fair grounds. Ridgid wasn't there but they did have lots of other nice displays. For me the highlight was a very interesting portable sawmill. It was for outdoor use only but the design of the machine was different than what I'm used to. I'm glad you had fun and hope you didn't bankrupt yourself. It's just too tempting.

Comment

I have a funny feeling that:

M + CC + WWs = D^2

where:
      M = Me
      CC = Credit Card
      WWs = Woodworking Show
      D^2 = Financial Disaster squared

But that doesn't mean I'm not envious!
      “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Zen

That's where you have to NOT take any CC into the show with you or any large amount of cash. Most dealers will let you (if you're local) put a deposit on something and come back later that day to uy it. Now the idea is that you have your CC with you, but just brainwash yourself into thinking they are at home. You see things, make notes, go eat somewhere off the grounds, make a list of what you really do want and then go back and get that, but NO more. It's hard with all the tempting stuff not to go totally wild.
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM. Reason: Wording was a mess

Comment

VASandy,

Oh My!! I went to the SawStop website and watched first the video demonstration....very, very impressive. Then I watched the "how it works" video, again very impressive (one of those "I could have thought of that" moments soon followed). But then, to my eternal regret, I watched the "Why SawStop" video. Needless to say, I will have nightmares for weeks to come as some of the injuries were terrible. I also have been particularly more careful around that spinning blade since I watched it.

One other comment....the way this thing works is quite insane but effective. It essentially snaps a piece of metal into the blade (utterly destroyed) and kills the SawStop unit which would have to be replaced entirely. Don't get me wrong, I would not have one iota of regret if that happened, but WOW it was impressive.

Anyhow, I think that company should find a way to manufacture this product as an aftermarket add-on for every TS, they would make a mint!

Z
          Last edited by zenophus; 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM.
          “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Bummer living in the wrong area of USA, there is never anything like woodworking shows where I live. So for me to see one I would have to give up a new chop saw, or table sander, or 8-10 new clamps. I can even write it off if I wanted too, but the money would still be out of my pockets, boo hoo, I am bummed. Enough sniveling, sounds like its alot of fun though. ? for you guys and gals, if you do wood working projects and sell them, are you a hobby business and do all the write off's, such as materials, and gas and electric and tools and trips? If you don't, maybe you aught to think about this .
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Since I have a business (BlackCat Custom Carpentry, LLC.), do you mean that woodworking shows are DEDUCTIBLE??????

Oh MAN.....I'm in heaven.

Comment

Any time you go some place that will benefit your company or hobby business, you can right off your plane ticket, or fuel (from car), food, hotel, and cost for getting in and anything you purchase while your there. Be sure to show proof with all receipts. Your going there to learn about the latest gadgets and tools and it really would help if you bought something there. 1 or 2 times a year your allowed to do this.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Wait....it's DEDUCTIBLE?!?!?! North Mountain Woodworks could deduct this?!?! I run the little single-owner propreitorship as a hobby, mainly. But hey, if it's deductible....

Comment

Just printed my E-ticket for the show in Tampa Florida this weekend. Really looking forward to attending. The list of major vendors is impressive and includes Ridgid.

I was surprised that there is a show in Florida. Oh wait! Tampa is in northern Florida (sometimes referred to as south Georgia down here). Here in Southwest Florida we have no woodworking oriented stores or woodworking clubs and good wood is very hard to find. (Anyone in the Lee/Collier county area that would like to share info or start a club, please send me a private message)

Last week I had an opportunity to visit a Rockler store in Salem, NH. I was like a kid in a candy store what with all of the tools and lumber that I can only find in a catalog. (My mind was calculating how much of the stuff I could get through Airport Security). I asked LOL if she wanted to take the car and pick me up in a few hours. (Offer not taken. ) It sure was nice to touchy-feely the tools, hardware and power tools. Much nicer than looking at pictures.

I will fill you in next week with my impressions of the show.

Comment

Shoot maybe we need to start another thread on this subject, because I can even write off my internet service, because I use it for research. But no matter what, you should always consult your Tax man or woman.

Comment

Good point garager......I was also wondering why a garage shop cannot be deducted as a home use for business. I know, it's not living space, but dang it's part of the house and I use loads of electricity etc.

Comment

Home office use deductions are really tricky. Definately get an accountant if you're doing that.

Comment

Well, I have no intention of doing that.....I just think it should be so..

Comment

Zenophus, I write off 1/3 of my mortgage, electric, water, phone, improvements, sewage, gas, as long as I can prove that I'm using up 1/3 space in my home as business. My entire basement is a shop, i have an office on the main level, and I use attic for storage, and I park 2 trailers and 3 trucks on my property. My accountant said if I use that much space I can write it off. She also said if I build a garage and put on a separate electrical meter and water line and store all my tools then I can write off the garage 100%, but no more writing off the home. So to me that sounds like you can do it, but you cannot park, lawnmowers and snowblowers, and bicycles, etc, everything in there must be for the business only. Oh ya, and I think there has be be a room made into an office w/phone.
                              Is anybody in our forum an accountant who can give pointers and hints. I've been doing this for a long time, so I do know what I can and cannot write off for my business, I just don't know the laws for hobby business. But I wouldn't think theres a big difference between the two types of business, other than the % of write off. My mom has a stained glass hobby business, and when she runs 30 miles to pick up a piece of glass, she gets reimbursed from Uncle Sam I think .42 cents a mile. Same w/me, when I need a drill I'll write off my gas also, but my trucks are 100% business so I do not get that .42 cents a mile, we live about 25 to 30 miles (one way) away from H.D., Menards, Tool Crib. It adds up after 60-100 times a year. If this keeps going I'll start another thread.
                              Last edited by garager; 03-20-2007, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X