X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scribing cabinets

I have to install some laundry room cabinets this week. I'll be hanging the boxes and then attaching the face frame after the boxes are hung. The face frame is about 1" longer than the opening to allow for scribing. How do I scribe the face frame since I can't fit it into the opening to begin with? I had planned on using a scrape piece of wood or cardboard to get the angle but how do I know how much to cut off?

Re: Scribing cabinets

Hold the face frame against the wall at an angle and use a scribe to scribe it, then plane to the scribe line with a hand plane, slightly back cutting it.

Comment

I thought about doing that but how do I know how much to cut off? The method you describe will give me the angle at which to cut but not how much. Does that make sense? I have back cut the face frame already so that I will not have to take off as much material. The cabinets are 36" high. Should I find the longest point between the two walls within that 36" and then transfer that distance onto the frame and start my scribing from there? I'm not sure I'm doing a very good job of describing my question. Sorry.

Comment

You can measure the top, middle, and bottom of the opening in the wall and transfer the measurements to the cabinet. Trim the face frame a little oversize and test fit, and then trim along the scribe line until it fits.

Comment

2 sticks for measuring works great, over lap them, slide the sticks towards the ends of the opening, when your there mark same spot on both sticks, take down put them on the floor, center marks together then measure entire length, thats your "exact" opening size.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work! LOL I just build mine a quarter narrow and then use a nice 1/4 by 3/4 scribe molding.
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Yes it is, don't do it that way very often, but I have and you will get the exact length every single time, as long as you read your last marking and not the one before that, LOL... I saw Norm the wood god do it one time and it stuck in my head ever since. Great for long distance since it won't sag like a tape measure will, and I do own more than one fat max, and they do sag also. Just between you and me Wood Meister I do it your way most of the time, Shhhhhh....LOL...
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                Sounds like a lot of work! LOL I just build mine a quarter narrow and then use a nice 1/4 by 3/4 scribe molding.
                That's too easy - where's the fun in that?

Comment

I get to use my new Ridgid nailer??????? LOL

Mark
                  Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Garager, thanks for the tips. I took two pieces of 1/4" stock and cut a slot in the middle of each about 2' long. I attached them with a short bolt and a wingnut so that I could slide them back and forth. This worked great and I was able to get the exact measurements. I then scribed the angle of the wall on a scrap piece of stock and transferred this onto the face frame. It ended up coming out great and the customers were really pleased. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

rnt80, I'm glad I could help you out, your turn next...LOL...Everybody has a neat trick (tip) some where inside of themself.

Comment

Working...
                      X