Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tools complete a shop? please advise.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tools complete a shop? please advise.

It seems to me you've pretty well covered the waterfront on tools. I would emphasize the rubber mallet and tons of clamps, including some corner clamps.

With regard to magazines and the like, you shouldn't be without "The Table Saw Book"
    by Kelly Mehler, ISBN 1-56158-426-6. In it you'll find a plan for a cross-cut sled that is great. It's an easy-to-build jig that really helps. The only change I would suggest is that you use store-bought runners instead of trying to make them out of hardwood. I had trouble with expansion and contraction using wood and the store-bought ones aren't that expensive.

I've found this forum to be an invaluable tool for me. Hope you do, too.
    Blind Bill

Comment

Two things you might want to consider - although strictly they are not tools:

1. A good dust collector

2. A shop vacuum
      "Dad, E means empty, NOT broken" - my cousin Doug, to his dad after the tractor ran out of diesel and Ed claimed the gas gauge was broken.

Comment

Originally posted by leer13 View Post
        Two things you might want to consider - although strictly they are not tools:

1. A good dust collector

2. A shop vacuum
        Which brings to mind that if you are sensitive to dusts, pollens, etc, or have asthma, you want a good respirator. Go with a P100 NIOSH rated dust mask, and if painting, you need one rated for OV (organic vapors). Even if you are not now sensitive, I would recommend a minimum P-95 dust mask when working with MDF or treated lumber, and definitely wear one when power sanding any wood without a vacuum sander.
        If you notice congestion, sneezing, watery eyes, or other symptoms when working with a new wood, check the internet for info on toxic woods. Some can be pretty nasty if you have no natural tolerance to them, and some take a while to get a sensitivity to them. Be aware that others that live with you will be subjected to the same dusts, fumes, etc, if you bring them into the house on your clothing.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I bet you've already thought and worked some on this, but you need to be sure you have good lighting. You don't want shadows or to have bright and dim areas in your shop. A nice white ceiling helps bounce light back into the room. You would do well to have a second lighting circuit with a fixture or two on it that you leave on when working. This is just in case the breaker trips or fuse blows for the main lighting circuit that you don't end up in darkness. I have a rechargable battery powered emergency light in my shop which is connected to the main lighting circuit. Call me crazy but I don't want total darkness if there's a power failure and I working. It's too easy to fall over something or (beeeep) and get hurt.

A good class ABC fire extinguisher or two is a good idea too. Keep it/them near doors and where it's easy to grab.

One final thing that you'll want is a good size plastic trash can with lid and some Husky brand super duty contractor trash bags. They are tuff and great for nasty messes. They do get a little costly for everyday use however.
          Last edited by Woussko; 03-24-2007, 12:39 AM.

Comment

The tools that “complete” a shop vary from person to person; someone who only makes picture frames is going to have different requirements for a shop than someone who build cabinets. You need to look at what you plan to do in your shop. You list looks like it is pretty inclusive for power tools but some of those power tools could be delayed by getting the hand tools that VAsandy mentioned. Cost is sometimes less to work with the original cordless tools. For what its worth you may want to decide what you want to build and look at the tools that you will need to complete that project.

Comment

I forgot,PENCILS

Comment

Your first project should be a crosscut sled for the TS! Then keep building jigs, miter sleds, taper jig, box joint jig, etc. There are good plans for them all over the Internet. Oh yeah, you're gonna need that bandsaw so you can cut push sticks of all sizes. Don't forget to make a router table for that new router. Did anyone mention clamps yet? :-) Mother mercy, you just can't have enough!

Be Safe!
                All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous

Comment

Working...
                X