Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tools complete a shop? please advise.

Greetings all. I have just "re-entered" the world of WW from a 25 year hiatus. To date I have bought and asembled a TS3650. I finsihed it yesterday and spent the next 30 minutes in -10 celcius weather making a featherboard, a little eager to get going i guess. All kinds of WW'ing interests me as long as I'm making sawdust and challenging the brain. I'm looking for advice from your collective experience on the following:
    1. What hand and power tools are considered "standard" for a WW shop?
    2. List of 2 or 3 competent mags to read up on.
    3. In what order should I buy the following items?
    I'm debating about getting a (1) jointer, (2) 13" planer, (3) drill press, (4) spindel sander, (5) bisuit joiner.

Any advice would be well received

Thanks

Chrisinsk

Re: What tools complete a shop? please advise.

The first thing to get is a set of good, calibrated measuring equipment.
    1) Combination square (available all over). Make sure the adjustment knob will lock it in position so it can't move.
    2) Tape measure (you probably already have one). I've found the new "flat tapes" are very handy to have. I also have a "z-fold" measure. This is a measure that is quite a bit bulkier than a tape measure, but lays flat. They typically have a little inch-marked metal piece on one end that you can use to adjust bit heights and check depth. Relatively useful, really!
    3) Levels. These are must-haves. One 6" and one 3' are really nice to have. At the very least, a 6" with a magnetized side is really handy to have around. I find myself using the long 5' level quite often as well.
    4) A caliper is really handy to have. A dial caliper will help you setup the saw properly, and a hand caliper will help you with material thicknesses.

Then there's the hand tools
    1) Bench plane. You'll find yourself using this more than you thought!
    2) A set of wrenches and a socket set dedicated to the wood shop. These should include a 10mm wrench and socket for working on most of the tools. Check your tools, and get a set that'll fit what you have. They'll probably end up being metric...mine are!
    3) A set of allen wrenches in both metric and SAE. Seems like every tool comes with a set...that you will lose as each one is seperate and gets lost from it's tool! I finally got a cheap-o set and keep them in their container in the same drawer as the wrenches and sockets.
    4) Screwdrivers, allen and slotted.
    5) A decent set of chisels.
    6) Sharpening stones. Get your choice of water or oil. You will want to lap and resharpen your new chisels and plane blades right away!
    7) cabinet scrapers. I find the standard square scraper is my most-used.
    8) glue scraper. This is separate from the cabinet scraper, and has a handle on it. The working end is only about 1.5" wide generally.
    9) Bastard file and a flat metal file. You can get the more exotic riffler files later.

As far as the power tools go...I find myself using the jointer and planer together for the most part. I'll joint the edges of a board (or at least one edge), then plane the board. If you can only get one...I'd get the jointer. Then immediately start saving for the planer!

A drill press is one of the handiest things you can get. I have the Ridgid DP and it's proven itself over and over again. Get a mortise attachment for it while you're at it. A set of mortising chisels is just plain handy to have. Using one of those to make the squared corner from a routed mortise is just the easiest thing ever! I find I use them as hand-chisels without the drill bit quite often just for squaring routed areas. I like having a little vise for the DP, too.

Now, get or make a bench with a lot of storage under it! Get a woodworkers vice to attach to at least one end. A lot of people find they use one on the end, and one on the front. I don't have either .... yet! I'm actively working on getting one, though I'll have to either build a new bench, or really modify the one I have to put one in. I also have a metal-workers Vice on one end of the workbench. It's very handy for making sure tools are square...and squaring those that aren't.

Supplies to have:
    1) A set of towels. I use paper towels, primarily. The ones that come in the big yellow box from HD (and cheaper from Costco by the way). I use them for everything from applying stains to wiping up spills and covering finishes while an item dries.
    2) hand-wipes. Get a dispenser of strong hand cleaner towlettes or something. It's nice to be able to get that glue off your fingers before you go back to the rest of the world (where they expect you to never have done any work)!!

Wow...this is a REALLY long post!!! Sorry about that!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

clamps, clamps, clamps and more clamps, straight bar 4' and 8' or one that pieces together, skill saw, jig saw, Jap. hand saw, speed square, drill bits and drill. Man we could go on forever, you get the idea, and you will find out what your missing as you get into projects, and maybe a dovetail jig and router. By the way welcome my friend. You'll need a filter system, or at least a wet vac. to catch those saw dusts. It take years to accumulate what you'll need. Have fun and be safe. Keep us posted on your shop and projects.
      Last edited by garager; 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinsk View Post
        ........I'm debating about getting a (1) jointer, (2) 13" planer, (3) drill press, (4) spindel sander, (5) bisuit joiner.
        Sounds to me like you already have a good handle on what to buy. I agree with the purchasing order that you listed. I can think of some other tools that I would buy before the joiner but not knowing what you already have I'll pass on recommending anything else.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm a big fan of getting quality tools to work with and then learning how to use them, (at least that way I know it's not the tools right?) I think i'll go pick up a new blade for the TS (maybe a freud or forrest) and spend some quality time getting local WW'ers opinions on some of the other items.

Hey VSSANDY, thanks for the long post I appreciate the effort , very helpful. Garager, i too can't get enough clamps and bits , a local store has clamps on sale so i may just have to meander slowly thru that isle as well. BadgerDave, i could send you an inventory of my tools but i somehow think that would not be appropriate. I do have 2 complete socketwrench sets(SAE & metric), drill bit's, hand drills (4), levels, files, screwdrivers, etc. I have alot of handpower tools (except a biscuit joiner). I am a little low on the bigger items like joiner, drill press etc.

Any thoughts on a few "idiot proof" first projects that will get my "feet wet"? Mags to read? Books to buy? Authorities to avois and those to listen too? Thanks again.

Comment

you can never have enough tools

Comment

If you don't have a router they are handy.
              I would start building stuff for the shop, router bit storage, router table, sand paper storage, work bench, general storage cabinets. Be as fancy or as plain as you like, you can use cheaper wood for shop furniture so one, if you screw up you can fix it for less and two, unless it is a really brutal mistake no one but you will notice

Comment

I am starting to do alot of my shopping for tools on Amazon.com, very decent prices and a lot of free shipping, daily specials, ect. Consumer report, ranked it #2 safe site for shopping, but nothing is fool proof, I just use a $500.00 credit card so if someone does somehow get my #, thats the max. it will go. Wood magazine is a good one, Theres so many, forums is a great place to get ideas and pictures, what are you thinking though. Inside projects, outside projects, work bench, cabinets, drawers, cabinet doors, jewelry boxes. Building jigs for drill press, and table saw, chop saws, etc. are a great way to start, and hopefully you'll have room for these, and your going to need them any how. Ya, begin w/jigs, you'll get a feel for your tools when your doing these, type in jigs, in search (up above) here, and you should find something.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Speed Square,combo. saw,set of pliers,soft faced hammer,plane,hacksaw,and a pair of tinsnips are handy to have.

Comment

I bought a band saw at the spur of the moment, a friend was wanting to unload one, now I wonder now how I ever got by without one...
                    - djb
                    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Hey all thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. The projects I'm thinking about are TS jigs, and a workbench. Hows that for simple? Ultimatley designing cabinets etc for my garage so I could make even more sawdust.

I'll checkout amazon for some blades for my TS. I'm thinking about a 50T combo blade from Frued (Carbide of course). My biggest issue about blades is a set of dado blades 6" versus 8". Do I buy Freud, Dewalt???

Anyways thanks all for your thoughts, they are great.

Comment

Did anyone mention pencils?

I think they covered the rest.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

A good cordless drill and impact driver. Also a Bosch PS20-2 Pocket Driver.
                          Air compressor and finish/brad nailers.
                          Pocket hole jig.
                          Miter saw.

Comment

Hmmmmm, sounds like you have most of the basics already. But, you should go get some clamps anyway!!

If you're going to start making cabinets, look into a pocket hole jig. For face-frame cabs, they really work well. Simpler than biscuit joinery, and way strong. Take a look at the Kreg system and compare it to the cost of a good biscuit joiner. You'll find you can save some $$$ going with the Kreg.

If you feel the need for a new power tool, I echo djb in that a band saw is really amazingly handy. Seems like no matter what I'm doing, I end up at the band saw during every project!!
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

A digital camera so you can post your projects here.

I didn't see an orbital sander posted. Suggest adding it to your list.

More clamps.

DWC

Comment

Working...
                              X