X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year of hand-wringing is OVER!!!

Well y'all, it's finally over. This forum, Ridgid's reputation and just a good deal helped me bring Ridgid tool #2 into the garage. A brand new in the box TS2424. WooHoo!

So the score is... Ridgid 2 / Grizley 0

Next? What do you think.... Jointer or Bandsaw? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Every project I start is a gamble.

So, now might be a bad time to tell you Home Depot just bought Ridgid, huh? (kidding! just kidding!!! )

Congratulations. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Dave

Comment

Congrats !

As far as the next purchase, it depends on what you're working on. If you cut a lot of curves in your projects and are tired of the jig saw, then the Band Saw could be key.

But, if you are working a lot with rough sawn lumber or your lumber yard can't sell you a square edged piece of stock to save their lives then the Jointer is the way to go.

But, for working with rough stock, you better factor in a Planer as well since you'll need both the jointer and the planer to properly work the rough wood! Sounds like a good reason (as if we needed one) to buy two tools instead of just one.

Enjoy!
      - Tim

Comment

OR,

Congrats on the TS2424!!!!! I know you'l love it.

As far as #3 goes......... my advice would be to take everyone's good opinion into account, split the difference and buy them both!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Who could fault you with that. If that ruffles too many feathers in the hen house, you could always blame it on us.

What are friends for anyway?

Good luck,
        Wood Dog

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: Wood Dog ]

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: Wood Dog ]

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          But, for working with rough stock, you better factor in a Planer as well since you'll need both the jointer and the planer to properly work the rough wood! Sounds like a good reason (as if we needed one) to buy two tools instead of just one.
          <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since I didn't give all the info #2 is the TP1300. I think the jointer is the best choice, I think I have some curves left in the old fashioned hand operated jig saw

By the way, since I didn't see a Ridgid offering in the router arena, I just ordered a Bosch 1617PK! For under $200!

Just gotta love it when the Boss feels guilty (nullaka got caught being mean) and pays 219 hours of retroactive OT. If it wasn't for SWMBO's (I love that acronym) bathroom remodel plans, I would have a full shop of Ridgid tools!

Comment

Ok, if "tuning" this saw is anywhere as difficult as "setting up" the herculift system, it may be June before I get to use this saw.

"AARRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

Comment

Hey OR,

Take your time partner. If I remember correctly the Herculift was a little fussy but it went together fairly good. Just take your time and follow each step in the manual and you should end up pretty close to the mark when you finish. The splitter/blade guard assembly was the toughest for me to get adjusted the way I wanted but all is good now. Just go slow and if you have any questions just come back here and I am sure you will get any help you may need.

Gregg

Comment

Ok, two full evenings and the 2424 is all together. Ran a few oak boards through to check my alignments (don't have a dial indicator yet so had to go with the basic stuff in the manual) and after a tweak on the rip fence indicator I was pretty close.

I have VERY little wood working experience (see signature), but spent a few years as a machinist. My question now is what are acceptable tolerances working with wood? I cut a few pieces dusted off the calipers and the width difference was about .002" front to back I then moved the fence cut a couple of more and these were about .016" front to back. Am I being too picky? Is .016" acceptable? It just might have been the way I locked the fence on the second cut or??????

How do y'all set up a dial indicator on the TS for alignment? Of course trying to avoid spending another $100 right now for alignment tools?

Thanks Ladies and Gents for all your insight and experience!

Comment

I would have to say go for the jointer /planer soon as possible combo. I got the pair in the past month and I'm not sure how I lived without them before. On the other hand I have had a Bandsaw for over a year and it has not seen near the action of the jointer has seen in the few weeks I've owned it.

Comment

all you need for alignment is a $7 dial indicator from HF and then to make a jig that is nothing more than a piece of 3/4 by 3/8 hardwood (mine is UHMW) and a piece of hardwood (Oak) at a right angle to the 3/4 by 3/8 runner.

The runner screws to the bottom of the piece of Oak which is then at a right angle to the saw blade, you then drill a small hole in the side of this piece and screw the dial indicator into that.

THis set up can get you pretty close to .001 and you can also use it in the right miter slot to set up the fence.

Let me know if this is not clear, and I will take a quick photo of mine and post it.

Duke

Comment

Thanks Duke, I appreciate the idea. I igured it would be that easy and was headed in that direction, just nice to hear it's being done.

I'll keep y'all posted on the results.

Comment

Working...
                      X