X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maybe a newbie stupid question re: TS3650

The scratches could have come from when setting it up. With the tables upside down on the floor you often have cast iron in direct contact with concrete. Generally this will result in scratches in the cast iron. When you put on the topcoat, it probably highlighted the scratches, and now they're way more evident. When I set mine up, I noticed this could be a problem and used the box between the top and the floor.

Use some wd40 and scotchbrite stuck to a flat block (the hook ends of velcro work well for this application. Get double-sticky velcro, and use the hook part on the block). Then start scrubbin!! Generally, the scratches won't make any difference, as others have said, unless there's burrs. To make sure they're soft scratches, just go over with the scotchbrite block as mentioned. If you get snags, change out to a high-grit wet-dry sandpaper and grind the burrs out with that. Careful not to work one area too much as you'll create cups. Keep the top as flat as possible.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilF View Post
      I set up my new TS 3650 along with applying a coating to protect the surface from moisture.

What I'm noticing is that the surface easily gets surface scratches. Is this normal? I have a Delta X5 Jointer and it doesn't scratch like this.

I called Ridgid, they could only suggest using car wax, I mentioned that that has silicone and isn't good to use since it will effect the wood.

Anyway is it normal for the table to get all scratched up?

Phil
      I also scratched my top, putting it upside down on the cement floor. There are about 20 really deep scratches in the top. A friend suggested very fine steel wool and kerosene to clean them up, and then using a white paste wax to protect it after that. In the four days since I put it together, there's also a patch of rust, not where the scratches are but beside. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by canuck47 View Post
        I also scratched my top, putting it upside down on the cement floor. There are about 20 really deep scratches in the top. A friend suggested very fine steel wool and kerosene to clean them up, and then using a white paste wax to protect it after that. In the four days since I put it together, there's also a patch of rust, not where the scratches are but beside. Any suggestions?
        More wax

Any of the bare cast iron that is exposed to air will oxidize over time.
        When you are using the saw, wear will keep the rust at bay until the wax wears off and the saw is left sitting for a time... This happens with all cast iron table tops on machines. It's still the best material though IMHO. Recently Steel City has experimented with granite tops I don't know how that is working out though I can't find any reference of it on their website.
        I do see that they are now using titanium

(correction - here is the link about granite)
        Last edited by jbergstrom; 10-14-2007, 09:34 PM. Reason: added link
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Sorry, this is a tool you're talking about, not a piece of fine furniture. It's going to get scratched, dinged, dented, spilled on, etc. as you use it, why worry about it? It's meant to be used, not admired.

Comment

Hey, wait until you miss that first sweat drop from the day before, and it leaves a nice round rust spot for you the next morning, 'cause I was too tired to wipe my table off when I was done.
            See ya when the sawdust clears...
            Hector

Comment

Working...
            X