X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a newbie stupid question re: TS3650

I set up my new TS 3650 along with applying a coating to protect the surface from moisture.

What I'm noticing is that the surface easily gets surface scratches. Is this normal? I have a Delta X5 Jointer and it doesn't scratch like this.

I called Ridgid, they could only suggest using car wax, I mentioned that that has silicone and isn't good to use since it will effect the wood.

Anyway is it normal for the table to get all scratched up?

Phil

Re: Maybe a newbie stupid question re: TS3650

can you post a few pics so others that have have this saw comment on that weather your saw have about the same scratches as there's
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Did you clean the top before applying your protectant? It could be that the two dissimilar items are causing it to look like it's all scratched up.

Pictures could go a long way in helping you.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Cast iron does scratch, pics would help us determine if they are normal.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Thanks everyone,

Hopefully these pictures can help you determine if this is normal.

As mentioned I'm new to woodworking, this table saw replaced my Ryobi table saw. My only reference to a cast iron table is with my Delta X5 Jointer. I've used it a lot and I don't have scratches like this.

While assembling the table saw I didn't scratch it. This was simply doing some test cuts with wood that wasn't roughed up.

I cleaned off the grease with a degreaser and then Mineral Spirits. I then applied Bostik's Top_Cote.

Thanks,
          Phil
          Attached Files

Comment

Phil

That may be just the Top-Coat that's scratched. Can you feel the scratches with your fingers or finger nails? If yes, in a small area you might try removing the Top-Coat and see if the scratches are still there. If they are, some very fine sand paper and a rubber sanding block should help remove them. If they are gone, then you may need to strip the Top-Coat (if the scratches really bug you) and apply a new coating. Do you remember if they were on the table before you applied it to the table?

Comment

It looks like mine the first hour that I owned it, unless they are deep, I wouldn't worry. Wait till a month later, after being used, to me it gives character.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I can't feel the scratches with my fingernail. Maybe it is the Bostik Top Coat!

The scratches weren't there beforehand. All was clear until I ran the first piece of wood. I'll strip the Top Coat tomorrow and reapply. I don't mind minor stuff as long as it's normal.

Maybe while I've got you guys I can ask this. My Delta Jointer does have a gouge, about 1/8" long and I can feel it too with my nail. What's the best way to treat this, with a finishing stone?

Thanks,
                Phil

Comment

Good question on the gouge, What got me thinking was maybe fill in with a 2 part epoxy. But I'm sure someone will come up with a great answer. Is that gouge very deep, can it be filled or more in the case of grinding the surface a little?
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

The gouge on the Jointer isn't very deep. If you look at it very close you can see some placement on the edge of the gouge. Basically you can easily get your nail to grip it.

Phil

Comment

That's inevitable Phil, and won't effect your work as long as you don't have gouges with burred edges grabbing the piece.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilF View Post
                        The gouge on the Jointer isn't very deep. If you look at it very close you can see some placement on the edge of the gouge. Basically you can easily get your nail to grip it.

Phil
                        You can use some fine wet-sand paper and a flat block with WD40.

Comment

I have similar scratches, they dont matter unless they are scratching your work.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Ok, I striped the Bostik's Top Cote mineral spirits, the scratches are still on the table saw.

Comment

Cast iron is soft, but wood won't scratch it unless there's something in the wood that is harder than the cast. It is easy to inadvertently scratch cast when laying steel objects on it, miter gauges, blades, metal rules, etc. Scratches are gonna happen, it's the nature of using cast iron tops. Occasionally buff them out with steel-wool by hand, or as some do, a fine grit paper on an old ROS.
                              Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Working...
                              X