Book(s) recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book(s) recommendation

What book(s) are the best for learning the woodworking craft? I've done a fair share of wood and metal working but I would like to learn more advanced methods. There are many books in the mall bookstores but I'm not sure which ones are the best.

Thanks

Re: Book(s) recommendation

I would suggest the following in no particular order:

Mark Twain: Huckleberry Finn
    Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass
    Edgar Allen Poe: Complete Poems and Tales
    Jack Kerouac: On the Road
    William Faulkner: Go Down, Moses
    Anything written by Gregory Corso.
    the dog

Comment

The Taunton books are quite good.

Comment

One of the very first books I purchased about 20 years ago was Encyclopedia of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce

It is an old book wriiten initially for an english audience but the information in it is timeless. Very usefull resource book.

I see it has been revised and expanded...
        http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-F.../dp/0806971428

Another very usefull book is Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking...
        http://www.amazon.com/Tage-Teaches-W.../dp/1561580686

Those are just a couple good examples that I have. It would be very interesting to hear from everyone else regarding this topic

Cheers! - Jim
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

now what the heck is the sence in that you have a brand new member here with only 4 posts in this forum, he askes a reasonable question to learn the art of wood working even more than he knows now. and you have to put that up there just to upset the guy, you can claim you are joking but you stated with me then you jump on some guys case about not knowing what a plumbing nipple is then you jump in to grangers but about ego. i mean come on man you need to chill just alittle cause about as smooth as 10 grit sand paper right now.

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking this is a great book for wood working
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Try Woodworkers Library
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

-table saw magic is great
              -building kitchen cabinets by taunton press is also good
              -woodworking for dummies is a great newbie book
              -loads of good magazines (fine woodworking, workbench,etc)
              -the complete guide to eay woodworking projects (black and decker)

Your local library should have lots too

Comment

Check out the Taunton books:
                Gary Rogowski's Joinery Book
                Lonnie Bird's Wood Shaping
                And there two more in that series, Finishing and Case Construction.
                All are hard bound, beautifully photographed, with excellent instruction. All these guys write for Fine Woodworking and are masters in their own right.
                All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous

Comment

There's some great books out there, but also some that are questionable. While I have some experience, I usually take some time to sit in the bookstore and look through a few. If there's something that I can learn or clarify with a particular book, then it's a buy. Title's and subject matter doesn't mean a lot if it doesn't lead to new discoveries for you. Pick the area that interests you and go from there.

That said, I'll add my vote to The Taunton Press books. Also would like to add that this is a great company to purchase directly from and if you get on their mailing list you'll find some good bargains. I recently purchased a book from them and the binding was damaged during publishing. But you couldn't tell from the outside. I called them, left a message describing my finding and they called me back the same afternoon to let me know a new book was being shipped. No hassles, no need to return the original, and not even a question regarding any details of my claim. Wow!

I have four of the Taunton Press Illustrated Woodworking Guides now, as well as two other Taunton Press books (Power Tools and Renovation). All are well written and illustrated. First class publishing and top quality all the way.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                    now what the heck is the sence in that you have a brand new member here with only 4 posts in this forum, he askes a reasonable question to learn the art of wood working even more than he knows now. and you have to put that up there just to upset the guy, you can claim you are joking but you stated with me then you jump on some guys case about not knowing what a plumbing nipple is then you jump in to grangers but about ego. i mean come on man you need to chill just alittle cause about as smooth as 10 grit sand paper right now.

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking this is a great book for wood working
                    You're right.

My favorite book involving carpenty is "Raise High The Roof Beams, Carpenters" by a guy named J.D. Salinger.
                    the dog

Comment

A friend of mine gave me The Complete Book of Woodworking when I got started and I still refer to it today. Great book with lots of pics, many projects, and covers several useful topics for getting started.

Comment

Though not for woodworking proper, I think these books are essential to turning out good projects:
                        Understanding Wood Finishing: How to select and apply the right finish by Bob Flexner
                        and
                        The complete guide to sharpening by Leonard Lee.
                        These two will demystify two very important aspects of woodworking. Happy reading! CJ

Comment

Ive found that any of Toplins books have been more than helpfull.

Comment

Not an attempted hijack here but it might be helpful to have some comments on the Woodworkers Book Club offereings. I get the offer to join at least monthly from various sources. Personally, I don't to buy what I can't first peruse but I could be missing some pearls.

Chiz
                            Later,
                            Chiz
                            https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

I picked up Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton and The Table Saw Book by Kelly Mehler. After a little reading they both appear to be exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks to all who responded.

Comment

Working...
                              X