Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a new shop and have a few questions

Hello.
    Thanks to several weeks of lurking and reading this forum (and several years of saving money), I decided to take the plunge and build my dream shop for my growing weekend hobby. I took advantage of the discounts on Ridgid's outgoing lineup and lifetime guarantee, and bought the following:

-Table Saw (I found a 3612 brand new in the box w/ fence)
    -Radial Arm Saw
    -Bandsaw
    -Jointer
    -Planer
    -Drill Press
    -12" Miter Box Saw (old style - no laser)
    -Stationary Sander

I skipped the lathe due to negative reviews. Now that I've made a pretty big investment, I'd like to protect it with some preventive maintenance. Any suggestions on things I need to schedule regularly?

Also, I wanted to get casters for the RAS. Do I need to buy the AC1050 caster platform or will the Herc-U-Lift Plus work?

If nothing else, wax that iron.

Rust is ugly, rough (thus more friction, thus erratic feed) and all around bad.

You can do it "every once in a while" (every few months or so) if your tools live in a climate-controlled environment (indoors or in Arizona - hehe). You should try to do it once every 30-45 days if they live in the garage or a damp basement.

Comment

this is for boinger,what do you recommend to protect the iron,i have used waxilit paste wax but had better results with top cote .

Comment

I read a comment the other week (somewhere on this site) that Minwax (brand) of wax had been used / recommended and not to use WD-40 brand of oil. Can anyone out there confirm what is best as I want to treat the top of by Ridgid jointer planer.

Thanks,
        Chris [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Chris Berg

Comment

Bergybits
          The main thing to look out for when treating the metal is do not use anything with silicone in it.
          A lot of the waxes work well. And I have heard a lot of good things about Top Coat.
          Use WD 40 if you are putting the saw up for a long time. You do not want the WD 40 to get in your wood. The same is true with the silicone.
          SCWood

Comment

Thanks for the info. S.C.!!
            Chris Berg

Comment

TexasGuy.. Congrats on your great shoppin spree i have the 3612 and the Radial saw, i know you will love em.Also went with the Dewalt SCMS 12" love that to.

seems your thread got stuck in the wax

Ralph
              <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

TexasGuy,

Congrats on the new shop! If I were you I would try to avoid putting wheels on the RAS. I have them on mine out of necessity (sharing shop with LOML's car), but this would not be my choice if I had a dedicated shop.

The main thing I use the RAS for is to crosscut boards that are too long to safely (or accurately) cut on the TS. By putting on wheels, you are restricted by the size of your table. If I were you and had the room, I would position the RAS against a wall with a long work bench. This bench could be shared with your miter saw and other benchtop tools, but it would give you the long platform to make efficient use of the RAS and also the miter saw.

Bob R

Comment

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll pick up some wax and extra WD-40. Anything I need to do to the motors on a regular basis?

Bob, this may sound strange, but I'm not sure how much room I'll have. All the tools are still in boxes in my storage unit. I haven't bought my house yet, but I'm looking for property outside of town with room to build a standalone workshop. If I don't find exactly what I'm looking for, I may end up with a garage shop that is limited in space.

Comment

Welcome to our world! I have about the same amount of equipment (but not all new), and when there are no active projects, can still get both cars in the 2 car garage. Tight squeeze, but it works.

I have decided my dream combination would be an attached 4 car garage. The inner two car space would be heated, separated from the outer two car space by a roll-up door. At the final stages of assembly of larger woodworking projects, I would be able to "borrow" the outer two spaces, with the shop permanently in the inner two spaces. And for resale, the inner two could be identified for rebuilding old cars, painting boats, storage, or woodworking.

Comment

Congrats on the new acquisitions!! You got some really great tools. I live in Round Rock near the Dell Diamond and am also just finishing up putting together my own new woodshop in 1/2 of my garage.

I agree with Bob R's advice about placing the RAS up against the wall adjacent to a workbench of similar height to handle the longer crosscuts. Now for the rest of your stuff, I don't have much experience with mobile bases but here is what I have found. I tried the HTC 2000 Mobile Base for my JP0610 jointer and was not impressed at all - pretty flimsy. I got the Shop Fox Heavy Duty Mobile Base for my DeWalt 746x Table Saw, and have been extremely impressed with it - very rugged and sturdy.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!
                      Jim

Comment

You can try the HF mases which are ok except on the jointer I need to remake the base wider than the tool because it is not stable enough. They are $20 on sale.

Comment

Most of my tools (including the RAS) are on shop-built bases, which work fine. $10 for casters at HD, some scrap wood, and a few screws. I have the herculift on the 3612 (ok) and the factory optional casters on my Performax sander (rip off), but the rest (including the JP610) are on DIY bases.

Comment

Thanks again for the advice on bases. After reading some of your posts, I decided I'm going to wait to see if I even need mobility. I also decided I would rather put the extra $80+ Home Depot is asking for the Herc-U-Lift into some nice blades for the new equipment.

Good to see some fellow Austin woodworkers! I've only lived here a short time, do you have any advice on lumberyards for buying good hardwoods?

Comment

Working...
                            X