X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Downsizing to TS2400?

As I sit here and look out at the fresh 6" of snow that just fell and the windchill some ungodly number below zero I'm getting more and more conviced that I want to dump my 25+ year old Craftsman TS sitting out in the garage for a portable saw that I could manage in my basement workshop. Garage is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and not practicle to leave cars out etc. I feel like a salmon swimming upstream because all the posts on just about every forum say you've got to have at least a contractor saw- yada yada-yada. Accuracy seems to be the big concern. Well, the fence on my old Craftsman contractor saw would be good for pounding in tent stakes, but that's about it. It was not the most accurate thing in the world. The 2400 caught my eye as being a good compromise, being portable and appears to have all the bases covered as far as easy to square up blade and fence for accurate rips etc. Can anybody clarify for me just what accuracy I would be giving up?From what I have been able to dig up with comparable models the 2400 is one of the heavier of the benchtops. I am not interested in ripping full sheets of paneling because I feel much safer breaking up sheets with my circular saw, so rip capacity is not high on my list either. I would appreciate hearing from any 2400 owners out there particularly in regard to the accuracy question.
    Thanks, Dick
    Dick

There are quite a few TS2400s sold to people who need to save space in their garage or basement. When used in conjunction with the Work-N-Haul It stand the saw becomes extremely portable and can be stored vertically. The biggest disadvantage with TS2400, when used in a home shop, is not lack of accuracy, but the small table and light weight. Having a bigger heavier saw comes in real handy when ripping a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4" plywood.
    I think you will find the TS2400 to be a very accurate saw. Though not as quiet or as smooth as a big cast iron machine, it can make smooth, repeatable cuts.

Jake

[This message has been edited by JSchnarre (edited 02-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JSchnarre (edited 02-12-2001).]

Comment

I use a TS2400 in my small shop. I find that the accuracy is very very good. The drawbacks are:

1. Vibration - For benchtop, it is one of the least-vibrating saw. However, it does vibrate more than a contractor saw. The vibration, however, is not so bad that it affects the cut. You do need to hold the stock more firmly.

2. Small table size - This prevents you from handling large material. However, building some stock support around it helps a lot.

Comment

Working...
      X