X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incra V27 Miter Gauge

Amazon has the Incra V27 miter gauge for $40 (after online promotional rebate).

Does a anyone know if the V27 is the exact same gauge as the 1000SE? Is the telescoping fence & accessories that comes with the 1000SE the only difference between the two?
    Also, can the sliding fence be bought separately (as in buy it later on)? I can't remember ever seeing the fence sold by itself.

- djb
    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Re: Incra V27 Miter Gauge

There are some differences besides the lack of fence. One difference I'm aware of is this - the V27 has detents in increments of 5 degrees plus a couple of other popular angles....likely the same for other models but I'm not certain. There are 1 degree markings on the protractor though, but the pointer can't accurately point to the 1 degree markings b/c it's pulled back from the markings and doesn't engage into a detent at those points. The higher Incra models have a retractable cursor that's independent from the detent pointer and points accurately to the 1 degree markings even if the pointer isn't engaged in a detent. I actually made the retractable cursor for my V27 from a piece of transparency material.

Last edited by hewood; 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I wondered about adjusting the V27 to angles between the indented 5° angles. I was actually thinking hte Kreg gauge might be easier to adjust than the V27, since the Kreg doesn't have toothed adjustments. The way the Kreg works actually looks pretty nice... But I'm not ready to spend much more than 40 bucks on a miter gauge. Yet.

The closeup Incra pics you posted definitely show a difference between the V27 and 1000SE latch mechanism...although it's not real clear if the 1000SE also "latches" into the 5° angle settings like the V27...
      Thanks.

- djb
      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

The 1000SE does latch similarly, but the cursor covers the view of it. I'm unsure if there are additional detents on the 1000SE. The beauty of the V27 is that it gets you close to the accuracy that the $150 gauges give you, but with fewer features and flexibility. Because the basic gauge is accurate, it is possible to expand the features on your own to some degree (ie: fence and cursor).

Comment

DJB, you might want to check out Hartville tool. They are having a special on Incra V27. The price is full retail but they are throwing in free a 24 inch aluminum fence. Just received my order and looks to be well worth the price.

Comment

I looked at a lot of miter guages and ended up with the Osborne EB-3, goes for a $109.00 on thier website and it has for the money all the others beat. Might want to look at it. www.osbornemfg.com
            Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Originally posted by jfacteau View Post
              I looked at a lot of miter guages and ended up with the Osborne EB-3, goes for a $109.00 on thier website and it has for the money all the others beat. Might want to look at it. www.osbornemfg.com
              The EB-3 started out made in the US, then the manufacturing went to Canada by Excaliber, then Excaliber went bust and General International now owns the name and the gauge is made in China AFAIK.

When the manufacturing went to Canada there some systemic issues with a few runs of gauges, mine being one of them. It was a real ordeal to get it fixed...it took alot of initiative by me, but the right parts are finally installed and it's working. I've also got a V27 and a Jet Deluxe made by Woodhaven...both are excellent. The EB-3 is a nice gauge that's easy to use once setup, but is a bit more complex than some of the others. The Incra 1000SE does 1 degree increments easier than the EB-3...the V27 will do them but you need to add a cursor to accurately point to the 1 degree marks. The Woodhaven is built like a tank, but requires more manual invention to adjust.

http://www.epinions.com/EB3

http://www.epinions.com/V27
              Last edited by hewood; 04-17-2007, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X