X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Problems - HELP!!!!

I've got a DP 1550 Drill press. The problem that I'm having is that when I'm using larger size bits (1/2") in hard woods such as OAK, when the bit makes it through the bottom of the board, the board grabs the bit and spins up it, becoming a WHRILING BOARD OF DEATH!!!!! Even when clamped, there is serious pull up on the board when the bit gets through - HELP!!!!

Thanks.

Steve

Re: Drill Press Problems - HELP!!!!

Hi Duckkilla.

I have the same DP. I've noticed what you're describing, and found a possible cause. When using larger bits through hard wood, I'll find myself trying to press the bit through with more force. When doing this (older bits, probably not as sharp as they should be), it seems that even this sturdy bit will bend a bit. This will cause the hole to be slightly off-center when it finally punches through, thus causing the bit to grab the wood. Scarey to say the least!!!

My remedy is to go slower, and to pull the bit out and then push back in, then back out and so on. Using this more careful method, I've found the holes are straighter, too. Of course...I could go get newer bits or a sharpener...that'd probably be a much better solution...

Don't know if this fits your cause, but it seems to be what I ran into. With hardwoods and bigger bits, it takes practice and some careful work. Check your DP speed settings too. This is a .pdf of a speed chart for reference:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/info/drillSpeedChart.pdf

The recommended speed for a 1/2" twist drill bit through hardwood is 750RPM.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I'm going to give both of you a hint that should help. Mark right where you want the hole. First drill a pilot hole all the way through using a 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit and yes they make them in long lengths. I have both here in 12 inch length. Once that's done (run drill press fast with this size. 2500 RPM minimum and do the woodpecker method. In a little, back out and let chips fly, then back in. Once you'll all the way through, then change speed and use the larger bit, but only drill a bit past center. Then turn the board over and drill it from the back side. Do be sure to clamp thing to the table and for small size work get and use a drill press vise. I hope this helps. Practice with different methods and soon you'll learn what works best for each task. Normally for a 1/2" hole even in hardwood, I run around 1000-1500 RPM depending on what type of bit I'm using. Now for drilling steel that's when you really must slow down and also use tool collant / cutting oil.

Comment

Why not put a fence on the drill press, so when the board wants to spin it will be wedged up against the fence preventing it from spinning. You should still use your clamp on your work piece.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I need to go to HD and hope they have this drill press on display. Depending on how the table slots are done, I have some ideas about a crude home made fence like device. I hope this one has normal (there are several) size T-slots in the table. Does the table rotate, or is it fixed and just moves up and down and side to side from the column? There are several styles of tables used on drill presses. Each has it's good and bad points depending on the job.

Comment

The table has slots, but not traditional T-slots. It does not rotate. It does have slots, and they work well for most DP attachments I've tried. I have an MDF fence setup I made myself that works well with it.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

Good for you making your own. I really need to see this drill press. I'm spoiled with a more serious one by JET that I have. Mine has more goodies but then today it would cost a good bit more too. I got it about 10 years ago for a great price and am glad I did. My problem is that anymore if I go to Home Depot they play really loud the "Happy Screws To You" song all over the place and I can't stand that.

Comment

Several suggestions:
                1. When the length makes it possible, turn the piece so that it rests against the left side of the post. This will keep it from spinning.
                2. For short pieces, clamp a board across the table to act as a fence
                3. Always clamp or secure the piece.
                4. For large holes, consider using a forstner bit
                5. To prevent splitout on the back, use a sacrifical piece (backer board) behind the piece you are drilling, (This will also work on metal to prevent burrs or catching on a thin piece).
                For this to work, the boards need to be clamped down or screwed together.
                or, pilot drill with a small drill for a center point, and drill from both sides.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Are you adjusting the DP RPM to the correct speed (or as close as your DP's speed selections allow) for the bit size you are spinning?

You need to adjust your feed rate and pressure and back off a bit before the bit breaks through, no different than using a hand held drill motor.
                  CLAMPS. a DP develops much more torwue and has more power than aHH drill motor. you should always have the workpiece clamped to the table or otherwise wedged or braced so it can not spin or jump if the bit digs in as you have had happen.
                  Are your bits sharp? It's important to have sharp bits (and CLAMPS and the proper speed) to mitigate these type of near misses. It would not take much for a good size board which has fetched up on a bit to swing around and break a bone in your arm or face or do even worse damage.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Duck,

It's really not a Ridgid drill press problem. This can happen on any press. You're getting great advice in these replies, but don't forget the value of sharp bits.

For me, the answer to clean holes (that don't try to remove a finger/arm) is:

1. Sharp, straight bits.
                    2. Pilot holes for anything over 1/4"
                    3. Firmly secured work piece.
                    4. Correct chuck speed
                    5. Slow feed rate (backing out frequently to clear chips and keep the bit cool)

Steve

Comment

Agreed, the problem is not with the drill press. Its been said, "SHARP" bits, slow down the feed (don't push so hard) and then pilot holes and flipping the wood over. Those will take care of the problem. I think most of us have been there.

Clato

Comment

Working...
                      X