HD Tool Event Warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Tool Event Warning

I see Home Depot is again running the Tool Event where you can get up to a $500 gift card with a $2000+ purchase. Last year (2006) I decided to take advantage of the sale and get the $500 gift card.

After selecting and gathering the tools I wanted, I found the store manager and had him personally verify that each tool (all Ridgid) qualified for the promotion. He assured me they did, I paid, took all but two items with me and returned an hour later to pick up the balance of the order from the 'will call' ticket HD provided.

The rebate paperwork was filed the next day including the original UPC's and all required documentation. Weeks passed and no rebate. The online site where rebates can be tracked yielded no information and telephone calls were handled with the legendary HD ineptness.

Long story short, 22 weeks later I received a gift card for $150 rather than $500 with a note that some of the items had been disallowed. They couldn't/wouldn't specify which items were disallowed and said there was nothing else they could do about it. The file was closed.

While I like some of the products HD carries, their corporate customer service and rebate program is abysmal, and in my case the local store management was one step below worthless in helping to resolve the problem. On the plus side, the local HD I deal with has some very knowledgable and eager employees that constantly strive to help in any way they can. Kudos to the front line people.

I have no complaints with the Ridgid tools and find them to be high quality, but to use HD as their retail outlet is akin to committing retail suicide. So, if you do decide to take advantage of the HD Tool Event, factor in the possibility you may never see the gift card. The $350 that HD made at my expense has cost them thousands of dollars in sales and I now buy all my tools and supplies from local independent dealers with HD getting the occasional nickel and dime hardware sale.

Jim

Re: HD Tool Event Warning

I'm sorry that was your experience and unfortunately it isn't the first time i've heard people either getting the wrong amount in rebate gift cards or not getting them at all. This year for the HD tool even they have actually made it one whole heck of a lot easier, i think in response to the amount of complaints from last year. This year they are giving an instant discount right at the register; no waiting for gift cards and no knowing whether you filled out all the forms correctly.

Comment

Too bad that they treated you this way, their loss. When this sale started I was going to go and get some tools also. But I didn't, because its not that great of a savings and I don't need to spend $2000.00 to get 25% discount, thats not cash. I can go on Amazon.com and get these kind of prices, or just be patient and eventually I'll find what I need at a respectable price from somewhere. So I wonder how many other people bought right up to $2000.00 and later to have one item thats not a valid item taken away and that drops down their rebates. I'm sure over all, more people will be pleased with the way things are handled, but there will be those that will not be pleased.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Did I not understand the ad I saw in the paper about this sale? The way I understood it was that the buyer isn't really getting a discount but a Gift Card based on the dollar value of the purchase. For example, if I want to purchase $2000 worth of tools I'll literally have to spend that $2000 but I'll get a $500 Gift Card good toward future purchases.

Has anyone made a purchase since this event started? Can you apply the Gift Card to the original purchase and actually save some money or must the Gift Card be used for a future purchase?
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

The tool event is an instant rebate at the cash register in the amount of the level of purchase one makes. I bought a ts3650 and a Porter Cable ROS to get to $601. I received a $125 instant discount.
          Good deal! Free sander!

Comment

I will also confirm that it's an instant rebate at the cash register. I picked up the 2400 table saw, the Ridgid router package, and a jigsaw. All qualified for the promotion, so I got the $125 credit instantly. I also signed up for the HD card and got an additional 10% off.

Also, the folks at my HD (Madison, WI) were great. Guy in the tool dept actually went to the register with me to verify that I got all the discounts applied.

Comment

Thanks guys, I obviously misunderstood the ad.

Originally posted by mhenrickson View Post
              Also, the folks at my HD (Madison, WI) were great. Guy in the tool dept actually went to the register with me to verify that I got all the discounts applied.
              You must have been at the west side HD cause I never see any HD employees in the east side HD's tool area.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I purchased a Ridgid SCMS, MSUV and a framing nailer and got the $125 right at the register. I went on Monday so I also qualified for the additional $50 off because I bought a Ridgid miter saw and the MSUV. I'm glad I went when I did, because the saw/stand deal expired on the 28th.

Comment

i was there last night. the discount is an instant rebate. so therefore it's not cash in your hand, it's cash taken off the purchase price

there is a great deal on a 2 pack of bosch 4.5'' 6 amp grinders.

for $79.00 you get 2- grinders and 2- bosch diamond blades

after showing it to a buddy, i'll be going back to buy the display and whatever is left. the $2000. spent will give me 25% off the already low price. it will bring it down another $20. or so.

also 11 amp sawzalls for 99.00 - 25%= 75.00 or so. killer deal

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Remember though that you save starting at 199. At 199 you get 35 back, which is roughly 18%.

Still with the lack of "sales" at HD this is the time to get your stuff. Most of the time when you see it in the ad it is a "featured" item. People rush in to get it because they think it is a sale price

Comment

I just got home from work. Today we sold 4 3650s. 2 of them went out the door within 5 minutes of each other. Another customer bought a SCMC and the MSUV (I actually questioned the MSUV as being included, until he showed me jobsite tools, I just didnt want him angry when he got tot he register) We have guy who buys Ridgid packs and then splits them up on EBay, he has spent nearly $6000 in the store this week (over several trips)

Comment

I just bought a 3650 and am waiting for the wife and her friends to clear out so I can try to get this thing into the basement shop.
                        I had planned to wait till later in the week. But I had to stop for some light bulbs...there were two of the saws in stock, the boxes weren't torn to shreds, and a friendly employee was right there to load it into my truck. Three things I almost never see in an HD around here.

Comment

I went to the HD to replace my blown out heat gun and somehow backed into my girl buying me the ridgid brad and finish and screwdriver set! The rub was it was priced $198 and I felt guilty enough without talking myself into buying another tool to put it over the $199 threshold to get the discount. I asked a rep, knowing the answer was no, if brads and nails counted toward the total and he found a manager who said "I'm not going to trip over one dollar, bring it to my register and I'll give you the discount."

When I got there she (the manager) thought the discount was 35%, not $35!!! I am way too honest to take advantage of even mean people, and since she was so nice there was no way I could take the $70 so I told her it was $35, not 35%.

Anyway, depends who you talk to all the time in this company. A guy earlier in the day was LESS than no help, but then I run into this angel.

PS My girlfriend rocks!
                          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Anyone remember the Dewalt screw driving contests that HD used to have? That's how I got into Dewalt. I won at the store level 3 times over 3 years. Won the whole thing one year at the Coors Rodeo!!! The final contest was during a half time break. That was fun. Drill 5 screws in under 5 seconds. 4.7 seconds was my best time. I still have my first "win" 14.4 drill and still have my DeWalt Coors Rodeo winners jacket. Sure miss the old days! (love free tools!!) My rodeo haul was a full 18v kit and a 500 gift card to HD. But this was quite a few years back. sigh! But all the tools are still going strong.

Mark
                            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Just got back from HD and bought the 2000 worth of tools. The sales associates couldn't have been nicer. Rebate was no problem, instant at the register just like the ad says. Bought the TS3650, 14'' Bandsaw, 13'' Planer, 15'' Drill Press, 6 1/8'' Jointer, and Ryobi Belt/Disc sander. $1600 out the door. I think Va has 5% sales tax. It was quite exciting except I threw out my back trying to lift the drill press on the flatbed.

Comment

Working...
                              X