X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using edge veneer tape with contact cement

I can't find any edge veneer with out the pre-glued adhesive on it. The stuff does not seem to work all that well. So I am forced to use it.

I want to know which of these two methods would be better for applying edge veneer banding on to veneer plywood.

1) Apply contact cement/adhesive to the plywood edge, let it dry for a day and then apply heat in the normal manner to the edge veneer.

2) Apply contact cement/adhesive to the plywood edge and immediately apply the edge veneer to the plywood edge without any application of heat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dieselgg; 03-30-2007, 11:28 AM.

Re: Using edge veneer tape with contact cement

What are you using to apply the heat? An OLD cloths iron is what I use and have never had an issue. If you are looking for a good fight take the one wifey uses out to the garage. USe the iron on the cotton setting and follow behind the iron with a block of wood to press the edging into the the edge and help cool the glue.

Comment

I'm not quite sure I understand all of this. Are you buying pre-glued edge tape and it doesn't work? The pre-glued is a hot melt glue, not a contact cement. The iron needs to be HOT to melt the adhesive as you work your way down the board. I use it all the time and it works fine, but it has to be a HOT iron.

If you are using plain edge tape, contact cement has to be applied to both the tape and the board edge. Let it dry to a tacky feel, then apply the tape to the board. Ironing contact cement won't work, atleast I don't think it does, never tried it.

There is now a "pressure sensitive" edge tape available. It has a pre-glued surface and all you do is peel off a slick paper backing and press on. After a day or so, it will NOT come off. Great stuff.

Mark
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Mark, a hot iron will actually reactivate contact cement and works great for the non pre-glued edging. You put the cement on as usual and let it dry until it is not tacky any more (much easier to work with now) then apply with a hot iron and it sticks better than the hot glue stuff

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
          Mark, a hot iron will actually reactivate contact cement and works great for the non pre-glued edging. You put the cement on as usual and let it dry until it is not tacky any more (much easier to work with now) then apply with a hot iron and it sticks better than the hot glue stuff
          Well I"ll be darned! LOL Never heard of that one before. Any particular kind of contact cement? Water base or solvent? I'll have to give it a try.
          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I never tried the heat trick with the water based stuff. I only used the water based once many years ago when it first came out and hated the results. It sticks fine but I tried it on sheet veneer and it caused the sheet to curl badly and the veneer split when the glue dried

Comment

years ago I used some nasty red stuff, smelled like acetone but worked great. The new water stuff sucks. Takes coat after coat to get any coverage. It does stick good but not worth all the effort.

Comment

I have heard you can use the iron/heat technique with titebond, but have not tried it.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I've always used the heat activated edging tape and it's worked well. I use a small travel clothes iron that does the job.
                  The water based contact cement sucks - stick with the toxic stuff...

Comment

Working...
                  X