X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jig Saw Recommendations?

I'm looking for a jig saw and would love to know what you guys recommend. I've been looking at the DeWalt and Bosch. I'd also like to know what the pros and cons are of the top handle versus the barrel grip designs. Thanks so much, and I really appreciate being part of the forum.
    Thanks,
    Rick

I forgot to ask about corded versus cordless.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

Comment

Rick---both upper ends of the brands you mention are good tools. As a gauge, expect to pay $150 up for a good jig saw. If you're serious about ww'ing, don't even think of the cheaper models. Also, be sure that the model you choose takes Bosch blades---IMHO, the best blades out there---I wear them out rather than break or bend them, as will happen with the thinner/cheaper blades.

I'd stay away from the barrel grips. They require a very wide hand grip---which deminishes your control----the ideal handle for control by the human hand is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" in diameter (bio-mechanics and ergonomics).

As to corded vs. battery, I'd ask yourself how much work, outside of the shop, you plan to do. If 90% or so of your work is in the shop, get the corded model---when cutting thick or hard wood, you want all the hp you can get and the corded are cheaper.
      Dave

Comment

I have the Bosch 1587 top handle and am extremely satisfied with it, upgraded from Craftsman cheapie of the week and the difference is unbelievable. I totally agree with Daveferg concerning Bosch Blades, they are definitely superior. My only suggestion would be to check out the newer Milwaukee model, it has had some very favorable reviews and supposedly has an easier blade change system than the Bosch.

Comment

I have the Bosch 1587 also and it does a great job. They have introduced 3 new cordless models according to an article in the new Workbench magazine that are supposed to have one-touch blade changing/ejecting. The new cordless models are supposed to be priced from 199 to 279 according to the article. The corded models sell for around 150.

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com

edited to add: click on the "top 10 tools" to see a brief item on the new Bosch.

Bob R

[ 01-03-2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Bob R ]

Comment

I have the DeWalt and have not been happy with it. The base plate does not stay in alignment, blade change could be better, and it does not stay perpendicular in thicker wood (this last could well be operator error). I generally like DeWalt tools but the jigsaw is a disappointment. Next purchase will be a Bosch barrell grip.

I really agree on the Bosch blades (Progressor) they are the best!!
            Mike<br /><br />We\'re lost, but we\'re makin good time!

Comment

I agree with everything said about bosch. you won't regret a bosch jigsaw purchase. The first bosch i ever used was a barrel grip, corded, and i had to cut out a sink opening in a countertop, that was a post form(countertop and backsplash in one piece). It was the sweetest experience i ever had. I have since purchased a dewalt cordless, and the shoe adjustment was also coming loose, and all i did was tighten the adjustment nut and it has been great since. i do a lot of out of shop work with it and you really notice on 90 degree corners how great it is with no cord sticking out of it.best of luck on your purchase.

Comment

In the neighborhood of $100 the Freud FJ85 is definately worth a look see. Its powered by a 6amp motor, has variable speed, cruise control (will not bog down while cutting), 4 orbital settings, and a blade change system second to none. I've used both the Freud and the Bosch and quite frankly can't tell the difference in performance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

GMike... I have a DeWalt jigsaw (DW321 I think)as well and know what your talking about in thicker wood. I could get a perfect cut in 1", but on 2x anything, it wouldn't cut straight. It has since gone in to the service center because I discovered that the blade was not perpendicular to anything. (when looking at it from the front, it appeared to be turned slightly to one side. They were going to fix, but parts were on backorder. They have ow told me that they will just send a new one from the factory. (that was last week, and I'm still waiting for the new one to arrive. )

Rick T...Whatever jigsaw you purchase, make sure it will accept the T style blades. Changes are sooo easy, and will ven accept normal blades too.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with any of the PC models?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

John---I've got the PC Jig Saw. Cuts like a champ. At first, had a little gear case leakage, but that stopped. Sawdust blower doesn't really work too well. Otherwise, a good saw.
                      Dave

Comment

I have a PC9543 too (it's a Dave thing, apparently ). Very nice saw, but in my opinion the blade change is terrible. Putting a blade in is very easy, getting one out requires at least four tries, and three curses.

The gearbox on mine leaked when new too, and stopped.

Dave

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback. I took what I've learned so far to a local hardware store that carries Bosch, and I spent an hour looking at the top handle (1587), the barrel grip (1594), and the 18v cordless w/ top handle (52318) jig saws. All three seemed to be very good saws. They were definitely smoooooooth.

The store owner told me he sells a lot of Bosch barrel grip and top handle jig saws. He said the cordless just came out a couple of months ago, so it's too early to tell how well they'll sell. He also said that woodworking customers seemed to prefer the barrel grip jig saw. He said it was easiest to control. The top handle saw needed mostly wrist action to turn it or keep in running straight. The barrel grip needed simply to be "guided" from the back with one hand while holding the pivoting top with the other. To me, it seemed to offer the best visibility of the blade while cutting. It also allowed the shoe to be pushed back farther than the other two models to allow the blade to be even with the leading edge of the saw.

The top handle corded saw seemed to be the most comfortable, offered almost as much visibility as the barrel grip saw, and seemed to offer a little simpler blade change system.

The 18v cordless saw was a little "bulkier," was a bit less comfortable to use, didn't provide the same clear view of the blade while cutting, but had the easiest blade change system of all three saws. A flip of a lever, and the blade popped out. I re-inserted the blade, flipped the lever back closed, and the blade was locked down tight. Bosch did a nice job of giving the cordless saw good balance with the battery in back. The battery also provided a convenient base to rest the saw when tilted up to change the blade or simply set it down. Also, I love cordless tools because there's no cord to get hung up and distract me. The fewer the distractions when I have a power tool in my hands, the better This might be a picky point, but something I didn't like about the cordless saw was that it comes with a simple duffel bag as a carrying case. I'd prefer a nice molded plastic case with places for the saw, charger, and extra battery or two. The corded barrel grip and corded top handle saws come with nice cases.

Anyway, after an hour with a very patient store owner, I walked out empty handed. I said I liked the feature of each saw and was tempted to buy all three. I didn't want to sleep on the couch tonight, so I thought better of it.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I believe I have at least narrowed my choice to one manufacturer: Bosch. I really didn't think this purchase decision would be so difficult.

Thanks again,
                          Rick

Comment

I've got a DeWalt VS Jigsaw. Works OK, but wouldn't recommend it. For some reason the bevel adjustment lever never seems to really lock in place, so every couple of cuts I have to make sure it's pushed back up. If I were to get another, I'd go with a Bosch.
                            Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Comment

Rick:
                              I prefer the barrel grip Bosch. I like the control with the barrel grip. If you are not sure which grip you would prefer, see if you can rent one and try it out. I would go with a corded model unless most of your use was going to be in remote areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X