Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Router Extension Leaf

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
    DJB how did you make the support leg cutouts to precisey fit the table edge and the stand? any pointers are appreciated.
    This was my solution:

Click image for larger version

Name:	b2b528e540b22e9e8bfce0fd29857033.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	987
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Nice, I like the idea of using corian- slick, smooth, and shouldn't warp. I think the next one will be corian for me... I bet there's a cabinet maker somewhere with scrap laying around.

I added legs mainly to support the router weight. the extension itself I'm sure doesn't stress the rails, but the router will. plus add any weight of the workpiece and downward pressure you may be applying.

We're moving, and I soon will have a dedicated space in my basement for a shop- when the saw is no longer moved every day I think I will add the cross shelf and make the legs more permanent to add some storage to the setup.

I like the 1x3 wooden supports better than my legs. that would have been easier from the startup. you could also make them adjustable like the feet of my legs for an easy, snug fit. just put a slot down the end of two peices and line them up until snug.

carry on.

Comment

Hey KenM,

I like your support solution (yours too djb, simple but effective), but wonder what you do about mobility for the support?

What do you do to support all the extra weight when engaging the Herc-U-Lift & moving the Table Saw?

Comment

Originally posted by bigscore View Post
          Hey KenM,

I like your support solution (yours too djb, simple but effective), but wonder what you do about mobility for the support?

What do you do to support all the extra weight when engaging the Herc-U-Lift & moving the Table Saw?
          The horizontal members are attached solidly to the saw frame and support some of the weight. The legs have screw adjusters on the bottom and are set to barely clear the floor when the saw is raised.
          For my application the 3650 is seldom moved and when it is it is a small distance, I'll move it from the center of the shop to a side wall so I can use another tool at the DC port the saw uses, for example.
          I never leave the saw raised unless it is moving.
          HTH
          Ken
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I made my router extension by making a box frame of oak and 3/4" Birch plywood for the table. This way I was able to use 5/16 bolts in the slots on the fench rails. I havent cut the hole for the mounting plate yet, I am not sure if I can leave it just plywood or if I need to cover it with Formica. Anyone have any ideas? Can I leave the top alone or do I need to cover it?
            Please check out my web page
            www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Hope I'm not interupting on the topic here.. but kind of on the same line

I've purchased a ridgid 2930 router and have a ts3650. I want to add an extension to the ts like everyone else is doing..

trying to decide on the insert to use. found this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B00092CPV6
              not sure if it's any good.. anyone have opinions?

also looking for the t track so I can use my mitre gauge from my 3650
              would this work?
              http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000LNV...pf_rd_i=507846

Comment

Originally posted by jeffntanya View Post
                Hope I'm not interupting on the topic here.. but kind of on the same line

I've purchased a ridgid 2930 router and have a ts3650. I want to add an extension to the ts like everyone else is doing..

trying to decide on the insert to use. found this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B00092CPV6
                not sure if it's any good.. anyone have opinions?

also looking for the t track so I can use my mitre gauge from my 3650
                would this work?
                http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000LNV...pf_rd_i=507846
                Jeffntanya yep that's the right stuff.
                I get my t-slot miter channel here. (Incra with predrilled mounting holes)
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I have both a piece of 5/8 plywood with laminate on top and a piece of mdf with laminate on top. which would be better?

Comment

I would think over time the plywood would hold up better. but whichever one is flat to begin with would work.

Comment

Plywood would be best.
                      No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

ok great.. my next question

to install the router plate. I trace it out and then cut it 3/4" narrower all around? then route with a guide/strait bit the 3/4 lip? for the recess?

Comment

a modified version of what I did is below. I actually cut the opening first, and then machined my baseplate to fit as snugly as possible. But if you have a commercial baseplate see below:

turn table over

make a template out of scrap 1/2" smaller than your baseplate hieght and width and use this to trace the line. that should give you a margin of 1/4" all the way around. rough cut this out with a jig saw or scroll saw, staying inside the line at all times. after cutting out the hole replace the template in the position you want it.

using 1" wide scrap pieces of plywood I fastened a frame snug up against the smaller baseplate template and nailed those in place.

I then used a flush trim bit, using the plywood frame as a guide to rout the final opening.

then i switched to my rabbeting bit and routed a 1/4" rabbet all the way around. the depth is equal to your baseplate.

I took some sandpaper and gently rounded the edges of both the baseplate (i made my own) and the table to keep workpieces from snaggin.

you can see what I did here: http://home.carolina.rr.com/rcprice/
                          Last edited by rprice54; 04-17-2007, 01:42 PM.

Comment

The router plate I used (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94331) had a 1/2"W X 1/4" D recess around the whole bottome perimeter. I took that measurement and centered it on the router table. Next I lined up the corners of the plate to my corners I drew out on the table and used the plate as a template for the rounded corners. Then I used my jig saw with guides to cut the straight edges of the rectangle out and free handed the rounded corners. I checked to make sure my opening was right by inserting the baseplate upside down from the underneath. I also made sure to make the opening a bit tight so that the plate fit snug. You can always remove a bit, you can't put it back on. I then took a 1/2' trim bit with a bearing guide and set my bit depth to just shy of 1/4" and followed my cut. Again start out shy of 1/4" and keep fit testing the plate until you get the depth perfect. I hope this made sense. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
                            No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Great thread, guys. I am really pressed for space, and if I could get rid of my worthless benchtop router table, I really would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Ken, I am impressed with your setup, and was hoping you might post a few details regarding the top and some construction tips. I really like that the herc u lift is functional. I know that if I had to reinvent the wheel on this, mine wouldn't look as good or work as well for several years, LOL. I've been eyeing the Benchdog wing extension, but the price offends my wifey, and it's only a wing, not support/storage like you have there.

Comment

Here's a much cheaper option for miter track (while it lasts!)
                                http://www.woodpeck.com/specials.html

$8.00 for a 45 3/4" long t-miter track
                                Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X