X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Extension Leaf

Well I finally finished my router extension leaf. I pretty much followed rprice54's idea with a few minor differences.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/rcprice/

I used 1/8" t aluminum angle ($18 for 8'), a purchased router plate from Harbor Freight for $19 and what was left of an old Corian kitchen desk for the table itself. So now I'd just like to show it off. Have a look.

You likely won’t notice the boo boo’s, but towards the end my folks stopped by for a visit and in my rush to finish it while they were there I dinged up the cut out for the router plate with my router. Oh well, it was almost perfect. I did learn a lesson from it though, the next time someone stops by in the middle of a project just put it down and go back to it later. I'm also entertaining the idea of going back and touching up the side edges with a 3/8" quarter round. Notice the bullnose on the outside edge.
    Attached Files
    No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Re: Router Extension Leaf

Thanks again rprice54 for sharing your idea.

Comment

I am just curiuos where at on the harbor freight website did you find the router plate? Maybe you seen it in the Catalog? I am wanting to make the same type of router table! Thank God for the smart people on this forum I am Just too stupid to think this stuff up on my own!!
      I like orange tools!!!!!

Comment

It's a bit tricky to find. I suppose I should have included the link for it to begin with. Sorry.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94331

If for some reason the link doesn't work enter 94331 into the keyword search box and that should do it. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope it works out.

Comment

Nice job. Did you remove the right extension table?
          Dan

DAN

Comment

Thank you. I didn't see the need to do so. I didn't feel that weight addition was enough to have to remove the right wing. Even though the Corian seems to weight more than 15/32" plywood or close to 3/4" ply for that matter. However, I am contemplating drilling into the right wing and bolting that part of the extension leaf to it. Just for a little added support.
            I may be overlooking something, but I also didn't see the need for support legs. I might be wrong though. We'll see, I'll study it a bit more and try to make my decision. For now, no legs.

Alex

Comment

Thanks for the link, I was talking to a friend today and told him about it. After talking I think I will try to get a piece of acrilic or ploycarbonite. (?) This way the lights from the Ridgid router will shine through. One more ? though, was it fairly simple to get the router part to sit the same height as the tablesaw part? Thank You
              I like orange tools!!!!!

Comment

Very nice job on the router table extension 9.5 FTG

The Corian was a good choice, looks great

Cheers! - Jim
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Oh yeah, but it’s going to depend on the supplies you use. If you do what I did using a 15/32” top, be it plywood or Corian, and a 1” X 1/8” aluminum angle then it’s easy. For me that is. In the end what you want to do is take your tape measure and measure from the top of the right wing down to the center of the opening of the rail where you’ll be sliding the 5/16” hex bolts attached to the aluminum angle. By eyeballing it mine came out to ~1 1/8”. Yours may be different so double check it. Once you have your angle cut to size you can clamp it flush to the edge of the sides of your top. For bolt placement I decided to go 2” horizontally from each edge. No science to it, just cause… I took a square and drew a vertical line at the 2” mark. Then I took my tape and measured from the top of the table to down to 1 1/8”. I crossed the vertical lines I drew at 2” with my 1 1/8” mark and did that for each bolt hole. Then I clamped the angle to a 1” x 1” X 12” scrap piece of wood and with a center punch and hammer made a pre-drill mark at each 2” x 1 1/8” cross (X marks the spot). I lined up my 5/16” bit to each indention I made with my center punch and clamped my angle with the scrap wood down to my drill press and drilled through. Don’t forget to use a file to remove any burrs. There you have it. FYI, I would be iffy about the rigidity of 15/32” plywood though. If you go with ¾” wood then you may need to use ¾” angle. If I’m not mistaken that’s what rprice54 did. Don’t forget to look over his link I included in my earlier post. It’s very informative.

As for the router plate, not trying to sway you, I went with the Windsor because of the removable rings for one. Second, it was easy and by the time I bought the acrylic or polycarbonate and designed my plate, cut it out… I thought the $20 was just as good. What I later found too was that the rounded corners of the plate were taken care of with the rabetting bit rather than a square edge which I would have likely needed to use chisels or some other method to square up my cut out for the plate. Probably ok with wood, but Corian? Power tools all the way. It is a matter of preference though. I too thought of the LEDs not showing through the plate, but later came realized that most of my work was going to be using a fence as my guide and ½ of my work piece was always going to be covering the LEDs anyway. I think they come in handy more when doing free work. However, I could be wrong. I’m really new to woodworking after all and don’t yet know all the tricks of the trade.

Sorry for the book. Don’t hesitate to ask me any other questions. Good luck.

Comment

Hi ya people,
                    here is a link I found

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=206

for the router table inserts.

§m€llŸ™

Comment

checking a little further in to that link ,I posted in the above reply the inserts are rather expensive. so the one at 20$ is real good
                      §m€llŸ™

Comment

That looks real nice, Alex, good job.
                        However, I highly recommend that you add legs. That's weight hanging at the end of the aluminum rails. Although you may not see any sag now, over time you will. Once the rails take a set, they won't go back straight.
                        JMHO
                        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I'm with KenM on the legs, that's enough weight to warrant some support. I used a couple 1x3s to wedge between the TS side leg rail and under the end of the router table. Looks kinda crude but they work, they're easy to take on/off, and the saw is still free to move around. I also attached a flat piece of scrap aluminum to the end of the TS wing to support the other end of the router table. Pics attached.

Like 9.5 fingers said, drilling the holes for the side rail aluminum angle wasn't that difficult. I measured from the top of the TS wing to the middle of the T-miter slot in the rip fence rails, then subtracted the width of the melamine from that measurement, and used that to measure from the corner of the aluminum angle and drilled the hole. The table fit perfect first try. Only two bolts in each aluminum angle, too.

I used Plexiglas for the insert, I was thinking it would be nice to see light from under the table. I'm planning to mount a light under the table...LEDs on the Ridgid router sound like a great option, I wish my Bosch had those! If light isn't an issue, 20 bucks for an insert is pretty cheap.

This was my first attempt at making a router table, and I figured I may be making another one some day, using what I learn from this one. The insert was the trickiest part of construction for me. (I rounded the insert corners to fit the rabbeted cutout in the melamine, rather than try to chisel corners in the melamine.) But getting the insert to fit in the table is an art. It can't be too high or too low. Melamine cuts aren't smooth, so I ended up making the rabbet a little deeper than it needed to be, then filled in with wood putty. And I still ended up using a couple pieces of paper to get it right (pic attached). Again, maybe a bit crude for some folks, but the table works great, and I have less than $30 invested in it. But if (when!) I make another table, I'll spend more time on the insert. (Actually, I expect to have a "real" shop in a couple years, with lots more room, and then I'll want to make a dedicated router table. I like Tom Clark's design the best so far.)

And yes, rprice54 was a great resource in this project. Thanks rprice54!

- djb
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by djb; 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM.
                          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

DJB how did you make the support leg cutouts to precisey fit the table edge and the stand? any pointers are appreciated.
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                              DJB how did you make the support leg cutouts to precisey fit the table edge and the stand? any pointers are appreciated.
                              I started by using two scraps of 1x3s that were each too short for a support brace. Holding them together I could determine the angle needed at both ends, and with both angles cut I got an estimate for the length. Then I cut another 1x3 (long enough to make a support), cutting it a little too long. Finally I could "sneak up" on the correct length by trimming a little off one end with the band saw.

- djb
                              sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Working...
                              X