X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 inch jointer

I am in the market to purchase a new jointer, and I am advised an 8 inch model will serve me better. The question is which one will be the best for the money. Prices range from Grizzly at about $700 to near $1500 for powermatic, jet or delta. Any advice. Ridgid does not have a 8 inch model as far as I know.

It depends somewhat on your needs. The Griz 0586 @ $625 and the Yorkcraft @ $599 are excellent values. The PM, General, and Delta are likely a bit more rugged if you do commercial work and run it 40-50 hours a week.

Comment

Heywood, thanks. I am strictly a hobbiest, but I do take raw pine, oak and walnut, cure it and then plane it to final finish and thickness before making furniture. To this point I have used jigs and a thickness planer to do the boards but it is time to get a jointer to do finer work. I have been doing research for a while and Grizzly has one on sale right now for under $600 -- Delta and PM can be purchased through Amazon for a bit over $1,000. I guess I have read enough concerns about the quality of Grizz from some users to seek opinions from you guys who know more about their product and whether it is worth another $400 to get the other makes. Appreciate your input.

Comment

I have the Grizzly 6" jointer and have NO complaints. It was dead on accurate right out of the box. [img]smile.gif[/img]

hwlewis. Where are you located?
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by hwlewis:
          I guess I have read enough concerns about the quality of Grizz from some users to seek opinions from you guys who know more about their product and whether it is worth another $400 to get the other makes. Appreciate your input.
          The vast majority of Grizzly machinery is very good IMHO. I haven't read much that indicates a systemic problem recently with any of their machines, especially the jointers. They sell alot of stuff...if defect ratios are equal between manufacturers, who ever sells the most units will have the highest number of defects. Shipping damage is far more likely than a manufacturing defect. That's one advantage of buying locally and paying a bit more, although Grizzly's CS is typically excellent.

You might want to see if there's a Shop Fox dealer near you....sister company of Grizzly with dealers and longer warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood:
            Shipping damage is far more likely than a manufacturing defect.
            That's why I asked where he's located. I made the trip to Muncy to pick up my Grizzly tools and saved enough on shipping to pay for the trip. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Lorax

Comment

Lorax, I am in Fayetteville, Arkansas, so I could easily drive the two hours to Springfield, Missouri, to get the unit direct from the Grizzly Store there. If you guys are comfortable with Grizzly I may just drive up there and take a look. I appreciate your input. We do not have much for tool stores here except for Home Depot and Lowes and they can order the bigger units from Delta.

Comment

Originally posted by hwlewis:
                Lorax, I am in Fayetteville, Arkansas, so I could easily drive the two hours to Springfield, Missouri, to get the unit direct from the Grizzly Store there. If you guys are comfortable with Grizzly I may just drive up there and take a look. I appreciate your input. We do not have much for tool stores here except for Home Depot and Lowes and they can order the bigger units from Delta.
                The store is worth the drive....buying something is just a bonus!

Comment

I would strongly advise you against buying the Grizzly. For my full explanation, see the link below (check out message #24, dated 7-27-2005):
                  http://www.ridgidforum.com/cgi-bin/u...c;f=5;t=002769

[ 07-27-2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: MSchenker ]

Comment

MSchenker caused me some anxiety, but I went ahead and made the trip to Springfield to vist the Grizzly Store. It is impressive in size and service. I bought an 8" jointer(G0586) , 17 inch band saw, a dust conrol system and some accessories (mobile bases, hoses etc) plus a couple of hand tools (2nd circular saw and a third router). I had rented an open trailer for $10 from uhaul and avoided freight costs and delivery headaches like MSchenker had.

I have the jointer and the band saw running and will get the dc unit running tonight. I am pleased with the purchases, and from what I read on other forums the units I bought have a great track record. The units were in great shape out of the crates, no assembly issues at all, and the fit and finish are as good as any out there.

This completes my shop so now the next purchase is wood. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for all or your input.

Harley1

Comment

"This completes my shop... "

That's what you think now, but this is a task that never ends.

You will buy more, resistance is futile [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Heheheeh. Isn't THAT the truth! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The units were in great shape out of the crates, no assembly issues at all, and the fit and finish are as good as any out there.

Told ya so! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                          Lorax

Comment

Working...
                          X