X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jammed chuck on Rigid lathe

I have a Rigid WL1200 lathe, and have one of those irritating problems that shouldn't happen. I put my Talon chuck on the spindle and turned on the lathe - not realising that I didn't have the chuck "all" the way on the spindle...was at most only a 1/4", but the speed was enough to jam the chuck into the head stock hard enough that it won't spin off. I tried locking the spindle, no luck.

I see in the manual that there is a threaded hole on the spindle collar, and the book indicates that it is used to unlock a jammed chuck or faceplate.

See the center of the attached photo.

What I think I need is the size & thread of the hole to fit a long threaded rod that can hole the spindle when I turn the chuck.

Or am I going about this the wrong way? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Stephen
    Attached Files

Re: Jammed chuck on Rigid lathe

First let me say that I don't own this lathe or have the manual here. If your chuck is a 3 jaw, you might try grabbing a large L shaped hex key in the chuck jaws and be sure they are good and tight. Then strike the long arm with either a block of wood or a soft hammer. You want to do it so as to rotate the chuck CCW looking endwise. Sometimes a few impacts will unjam a stuck threaded on chuck. Try to lock or somehow hold the spindle. If that's going to be a pain, setup the belt for the lowest speed before doing the above. Don't go wild, but a few good raps and you may free it. It was the impact when you started your lathe that has it really tight now. Good luck. By the way if you have a 4 jaw chuck find something made out of square stock that is or can be bent into an L shape. Please do not use the chuck key or strike the jaws.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I've tried the stick of wood in the jaws, what I need is a way to lock the spindel - the indexing pin is the only obvious way, but not recommended for locking in the manual.

I rumaged through my large box of bolts & found a 5/16" bolt that will fit the hole, but the thread seems to be wrong (too coarse), so I'll see if a fine thread will work.

Thanks,

Stephen

Comment

You may need a Metric size and they too come in different threads. Try a USA 5/16-24 (SAE) first as it may work fine. In Metric it would be 8mm diameter and ask for all the threads they have such as 1.0 1.25 1.5 as one should work. Please do not use the index pin. You'll bust it off. Is this a 3 or a 4 jaw chuck? If a 3 jaw, look for a 3/8" L shape hex key <aka> Allen wrench. If it's a 4 jaw, you'll need something square that can be bent or already is bent into L shape.

I need to break down and buy a digital camera. Good simple ones aren't that much $$$ and I could post some pictures which would show what I have in mind.

Comment

I found a bolt that had the right thread - and discovered that the hole I had used is actually part of the chuck, not the collar on the spindel...

Life is, as they say, an interesting education - it's the tests that can stump you...

I did find a way to get the chuck loose - but I needed to finally use the index pin to do it. Yes, I know there is a potential problem in doing that, but it was the only way I could see to hold the spindle.

Hopefully, I'll be more careful in the future and this won't happen again.

Thanks for the responses, at the very least they got me to sit down and think about this before doing something distructive.

Stephen

Comment

Working...
          X