Gluing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing

What would you folks recommend as the best glue to use when gluing up red oak boards together...and poplar.....going to buy and use pony pipe clamps as those seem to be the most recommended for gluing up boards...was told at the kiln that "tite Bond" is probably the best...agree?...disagree? Murray
    Goldenwing

titebond is the glue that I buy. And because I make projects for both indoors and outdoors, I spend a little more and get Titebond II. If you need a little more open time, they made III that will set slower.

Jim

Comment

I use Titebond and have never been disappointed. If your glue up is done correctly, any failure will be in the wood and not at the glued joint.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I am just making doll and baby cradles with this lumber. I think maybe the Titebond II will work for the doll cradles but maybe if the III is stronger I will use it for the baby cradles. I have a finishing room for gluing up so time for the glue to set up is no problem. They will all be out of the way. Thanks much. It will be Titebond. Murray
        Goldenwing

Comment

Either TiteBond or TiteBond II would be OK to use for your project. TiteBond III would also work but you won't really be gaining anything by using it and it will cost you more.

For the most part, original TiteBond would be just find for most of my projects. That being said, I usually just keep TiteBond II around just in case I need a glue with some moisture resistance.
          ================================================== ====
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Goldenwing

A word of caution when purchasing wood glue, it has a limited shelf life. Titebond I is 2 years and III is 1 year, not sure about II. They have a code on the bottle, Titebond is the only one I know, first digit is the year it was manufactured and second is a letter corresponding to the month, A=Jan, B=Feb and so forth skipping the letter I. I’m not sure how critical this shelf life is, I just know I put too much time into my projects to take a chance on using expired glue just to save a couple bucks. I know in this area it is not uncommon to find expired glue on store shelves, usually pretty dusty.

Woodslayer

Comment

I use 3-4 gallons of glue a year and my choice was Titebond II until Titebond III came along. Though the III cost more, the longer open time is worth it to me. On oily woods I use Titebond polyurethane (12oz/yr) and when all else fails MAS epoxy.

Comment

Working...
              X