X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 rip scale off about 3/8"

I am in the middle of assembling my TS3650 - this forum has a lot of great advice; I have run into some of the same problems as some of you other guys. I have a question that I don't think has come up yet.

I have just come to the step where you intall the front and rear fence rails. I have them both bolted up finger tight and I aligned the front rail at the 7-1/8" mark on the scale with the right side of the table according to the instructions. Just as a quick test I went ahead and slipped the fence on to see how close the scales on the rails are to being correct. I assumed that the scale on the right would be on the 0" mark when the fence is up against the right side of the saw blade. My scale is off about 3/8" (0" mark is to right of red line in fence view glass). Slipped the fence over to the left side of the blade and sure enough its about 3/8" out also.

I would never trust the scale for precise rip cuts (I use a framing square on my radial arm saw to set it for rip cuts), but the scale would be handy to get you "close" enough for quick "rough" cuts. What's going on here? Is the 7-1/8" an error in the manual?

Re: TS3650 rip scale off about 3/8"

Sounds like you need to adjust the two Fence Indicators located on the fence. They are the two clear plastic magnifying windows located at the front and on either side of the fence body.

To set the window on the RH side of the fence, slide the fence over until it touches the blade. With the fence resting against the blade, loosen the screw and move the Fence Indicator so that the vertical red line is at the 0 mark on the tape measure. Repeat this procedure on the other side of the blade.

The instructions on how to do this are in your Owners Manual. For my Model 3612 they are on page 35 so they are probably somewhere near that page number for the 3650.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'll echo what BadgerDave said. I had to adjust the scales on my fence when I got it setup. The procedure is in the manual, and isn't too complicated. On page 36 (on the online .pdf manual), it has the full instructions for this procedure. It is listed as the step after squaring the fence up. I'd wait until everything was set (rails tight, and fence square) before doing the scale pointer adjustment.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you are off 3/8's in the same direction on both sides just slide the front rail over the 3/8's. If you are off 3/8's in opiste directions then adjust the site lens on the fence.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I have to echo BadgerDave, mine was off about 1/16 and adjusted the fence indicators. It was just a quick adjustment.

Comment

Same thing on my assembly of the 3650. The site lens adjustment barely takes care of it. You're better off moving the rail, IMHO.
            ...enjoy!

Comment

Pink Floyd--------Echo------- Makes sense to me....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Here's my solution: Called Ridgid tech service. Not only about scale being off but also because I could only get 1/16" max clearance between blade and edge of table insert (see a similar problem in another post about a year ago). Ridgid said to take saw back to BORG, get a replacement - factory defect - no speculation as to why this happened. I suspect they may have heard of this before because it only took about 1 minute of discussion for the tech rep to come to this conclusion.

I got a new in box TS3650 - and this time before I started assembly I checked the trunion / adjustment bolts before I mounted it on the legs. There was a small casting burr that I had to file off, but other than that no obvious problems with new saw alignment holes. While I could get to it easily, I made sure I shifted the trunion assembly as far as I could to get max blade clearance. Then I turned the saw over and max I could get was about 5/32".

I haven't got to scale alignment (7-1/8" problem) yet on this new saw.

Here's a speculation: Wonder if the Ridgid designer who corrected the problem with the clearance problem for dado's that folks were seeing last year, changed the arbor blade mount and forgot to take into consideration the effect that design change would have on shifting the blade adjustment too far to one side to allow the > 1/8" adjustment? Then they forgot to let the manual editors know about this so they could change them?

Comment

Originally posted by galerdude View Post
                  Same thing on my assembly of the 3650. The site lens adjustment barely takes care of it. You're better off moving the rail, IMHO.
                  ...enjoy!
                  See my reply above this. I suspect that the designer also forgot to tell the manual editors that a shift if the saw blade position would also make their instructions on the 7-1/8" (initial rail alignment) also in error.

I haven't got to the adjustments in the little lens/indicators, but just glancing at them I don't see 3/8" of adjustability there.

When I get back to initial rail alignment on this new saw, I plan to set the front rail initially to 7-1/2" and see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the replies - this is a great forum!!

Comment

Originally posted by fx4fssc View Post
                    Here's a speculation: Wonder if the Ridgid designer who corrected the problem with the clearance problem for dado's that folks were seeing last year, changed the arbor blade mount and forgot to take into consideration the effect that design change would have on shifting the blade adjustment too far to one side to allow the > 1/8" adjustment? Then they forgot to let the manual editors know about this so they could change them?
                    fxfssc, I seriously doubt if that's what happened. If that were the case I'm sure this BB would be overflowing with complaints similar to yours. The ability to reset the indicator to zero essentially compensates for the ability to move the trunion.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks, BadgerDave - I see your posts a lot on this forum. I highly respect your opinions. I suspect you are right - maybe I went too far in my speculations.

Comment

Follow up: Finished setting up the replacement TS3650 - this one set up very well. I was impressed with how well the extension tables set up so much truer than on the one I took back to the BORG.
                        Also the 7-1/8" lineup problem with the 3/8" offset did not occur this time - only had to adjust the indicators about 1/16" on right side and 1/8" on the left side. Even the blade alignment was almost perfect with the miter slot. The fence looked in almost perfect alignment with the right miter slot - haven't measured it yet, didn't have my small scale that reads 64ths - but I am impressed. And all this with me presetting the trunions all the way to the right before assembly, I expected to have to at least true up the blade alignment.
                        An observation: The manual that came with the saw is OK, but a much better one IMO is one that I downloaded from a poster on this forum for a older version of the TS3650 - more detailed info and better reference to the bolts and screw sizes. Only thing is when you get to the motor installation, you have to go back to the new manual because the old manual used the V-belts, new models have the new tracking belt.
                        Question: I just preliminarily checked the vertical alignment of the blade with a square (bevel setting was all the way to the stop) and it looks like it may be off a bit. Are the little allen head set screws in the table top what you use to adjust the stops?
                        Thanks.

Comment

The hex screw to the left of the blade is for the 90 degree (vertical) stop adjustment. The right one is for the 45 degree stop adjustment.

Go
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Typo or what?

Has anyone else notice that the manual says align to 7-1/8 in. but the picture actually shows 7-1/16 in.?

I checked both the .pdf and printed version of the manual and they're the same.

Comment

7 1/8 works best with full kerf blades. 7 1/16 gets the right scale closer with the thin kerf.

Go
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                              X