Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First week with 3650, already lost a finger

Maybe MDF is not the best material....

Last edited by steveKane; 04-06-2007, 05:13 PM. Reason: (modified title to tone down "shock value"

Re: First week with 3650, already lost a finger

ROFL Steve!!! You had me scared.....remind me you're do a spankin for this!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw your picture was, was there a finger too somewhere in there. You got to be kidding using MDF for a safety jig, thats not cool, hopefully you'll think twice about ever using MDF for feather boards again. I hope you don't use long sleeve shirts when using your Table Saw unbuttoned. Where's that paddle at, LOL... Be careful my friend, body parts are not easily replaceable.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Sick.

Funny, but sick.

DWC

Comment

That's a good one, Steve...

- djb
          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Do yourself a huge favor, buy a Magswitch featherboard (or two). With the cast iron table it is WONDERFUL to have. Just put it anywhere, and bam, you're ready.

I've found the vertical attachment and the right side mini-featherboard very handy as well. Since I have the Bench Dog Promax cast iron router extension also, I use these all the time. Best part is, they also store easily by just sticking them to the table saw frame.

Comment

Originally posted by dwcurry View Post
              Sick.

Funny, but sick.

DWC

he took the words out of my mouth
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I changed the title of the original post slightly...I don't want to use shock value to get people to read this, as I take safety very seriously. But I thought my experience was rather ironic! (I'm not sure if the title change will show up in the main discussion listing, however....)

Making a fingerboard/featherboard as a first quick project was good learning experience, actually. First, I started to make one out of pine. I cut the thin slots, and then took it to the mitre saw to cut the 30 degree angle. MISTAKE. The thin fingers started vibrating, and wildly chipping out, ruining it. Okay, lets try another, and make the miter cut first, then cut the finger slots. I have tons of leftover MDF, so I used that instead. However, I kind of eyeballed the slot widths (MISTAKE #2), and obviously got the "pinky" one a bit too thin. Plus, MDF doesn't have any grain, and doesn't have the right kind of strength for this kind of application. But, it's good enough for now until I make or buy another one. (I like the magnetic board idea, by the way...nice not having to rely on the miter slot.)

I have not yet (nor ever hope to) become "casual" about making cuts. Fourteen years ago, I had to run my Dad to the hospital after he nicked his pinky against a table saw blade, requiring microsurgery to rejoin the tendon and nerve. Accordingly, saws are pretty scary to me, and I "rehearse" just about every cut I make by leaving the saw off, lowering the blade, running the board across the table, mentally noting where to put the push blocks in relation to where the blade will be, seeing if the outfeed roller is adjusted correctly, and checking if the fingerboard tension is correct. It was actually during a "rehearsal" that the MDF "finger" fell off.

Comment

SteveKane,

From a post I made a couple of weeks ago......You might find it interesting. Every woodworker should watch this....

Oh My!! I went to the SawStop website and watched first the video demonstration....very, very impressive. Then I watched the "how it works" video, again very impressive (one of those "I could have thought of that" moments soon followed). But then, to my eternal regret, I watched the "Why SawStop" video. Needless to say, I will have nightmares for weeks to come as some of the injuries were terrible. I also have been particularly more careful around that spinning blade since I watched it.

The link to the Video is HERE.
                  Last edited by zenophus; 04-06-2007, 06:50 PM.
                  “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

You are the man! Well almost the hole man.
                    Threefinger

Comment

Yes, a co-worker showed me the Sawstop video at work a couple of weeks ago. What a cool invention! It would be tempting to show off the safety feature, but each time it would cost ~$65 to replace the brake, the blade would probably have to replaced, plus the cost of the hot dog....(still edible, I guess).

Comment

No more title lines like that PLEASE. Scared the C%#p out of me.
                        No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Working...
                        X