X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 13" thicknes Planer Problems

I have a Ridgid 13" thickness planer and I am getting very poor results when using it. I have had it just over a year, but have only used it on two small projects. I have planed maybe 25 feet of Alder and Soft Maple. At first it was great. Perfect surfaces that needed very little sanding, but now it seems to be ripping the wood more than cutting. I changed out the blades and this did nothing to help. I just took it to a service center and the guy laughed when I mentioned the Lifetime Warranty? He just said there is no such thing even though that is what Ridgid advertises.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what my be causing my problem other than dull blades and has anyone had any problems getting the Lifetime Warranty honored?

Thanks

Pamulli,

First please email me with the location of the service center so I can make sure our people are aware of your treatment.

Second, what exactly are the cuts looking like. Are there ridges that run the length of the board, wide ribbons that run the width of the board or is it a bunch of little divots all over the surface? I am going to venture a guess that its the latter of the three.

Those divots are caused by the chips not leaving the cutter head and getting "reground" between the knife and the surface. Static in the chips causes them to cling in the area around the cutter head. It seems to happen in extremely dry wood and dry climates. Try this, just before you plane the surface, spritz it with a little bit of water. This will keep the static at bay and should improve the planing of your stock.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
      You are right in that most of them are small divots, but it is also gouging and tearing the wood in some places as well as causing snipe at the end. After taking it to the service center and having the service guy actually laugh at me when I mentioned the lifetime warranty, I called Ridgid and they did mention that extremely dry wood can cause this. I wish I had talked to a technician at Ridgid first, but when I initially called them no technician was available and the lady recommended I take it in to be serviced. Right now the planer is at the service center so I can't try wetting it. Dry wood is a possibility, but I am in a pretty humid climate and we have even had lots of rain lately. Granted the wood has been dry in my garage. I'll wait and see what the service center says and I will e-mail you the service center name and location. FYI the guy was a jerk about the warranty.

Thanks for the help
      Pamulli

Comment

Pamulli,
        Let me throw this in as well. You may be trying to take too much off in one pass. I have seen a lot more chip-out when you get too aggresssive. You also need to watch the direction of grain. If you have spots on your boards where your grain seems to "swirl" together, or around knots, these areas are more prone to chipping. Hope this helps...

Gary
        GaryO

Comment

Gary,
          Thanks for the response, but I get the same results planing 1/32" off as I do taking 1/8" off. I have also planed the same peice in two different directions with no change in quality. Maybe it is just a matter of the wood being too dry, although I've never heard of this. Once I get the planer back from being serviced I'll see.
          Is having too dry wood a very common problem and does this also affect other brands of planers?

Thanks
          Pamulli

Comment

Pamulli,
            I have the same planer and have done soft and hard maple many times. Maple is prone to tear out on any planer. Wet it, then take 1/64 to 1/32 passes only. Don't know about Alder.
            Heaven is in my Work Shop!

Comment

Alder make some of the fluffiest chips I have seen, making it real hard to keep the machine from clogging...make sure you take light passes.

Jake

Comment

Working...
              X