Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Right Size Dado Blade For TS2424

VASandy
    Thanks for all your friendly help. This is a great forum; too bad a lot of the other forums don't take a hint from you guys/gals.
    My father and brother were world class furniture makers but I didn't live near them so was unable to learn from the masters. I was born with the desire to build beautiful things but didn't have the time or money to get started until a few years ago. I was afraid I was too old to have the necessary time to develop my skills but when I look at the beautiful chest my father built at the age of 18, I realize that love of the craft may be more important than 20 years of experience.

Comment

Hi Trenner - I'm no router bit expert but I can share my perspective for breaking down the various quality levels. I see essentially 4 major categories. With some exceptions to probably every example and likely some errors, here's my unscientific somewhat subjective classifications.

1. Cheapie, no name, low budget, Chinese knockoffs like bits found at clearance houses such as Big Lots, Cummins, Homier, etc. There's too much risk with these to even experiment with IMO. Not sure if HF bits fall here or category #2, or both.

2. Decent quality Asian made value bits. This is a fairly large category with several well proven brands like MLCS, Holbren, Price Cutter green, Grizzly green, Rockler, Woodline USA, Woodcraft, BladesnBits, Lee Valley, Hickory, Ryobi, etc. Usually fine for occasional moderate use...they're inexpensive, disposable, decent performance in the short term, and typically easy to come by at a good price. MLCS and Holbren have free s/h....Holbren is a gem to deal with good pricing. The Woodcraft $5 bits are usually decent too.

3. Better quality Asian made bits. Higher cost, better bearings, better carbide, etc. Some get close to top end performance...Katana (MLCS), Price Cutter black, Grizzly purple, Bosch, Viper, Porter Cable. I tend to take the jump to the highend for not much more money.

4. Top end, US, Italian, or Japanese made premium bits. More expensive up front, but with finer grade carbide, better balance, better construction, thicker cutters, sharper edges, better bearings, etc. Whiteside, Freud, Amana, CMT, Infinity, Eagle America, etc. Excellent performance and longevity, worth resharpening, excellent in critical applications, and heavy use. Sometimes hard to justify the additional cost. Watch for sales.

Anyone who disagrees with my list probably has good cause to!
      Last edited by hewood; 04-10-2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Hewood,
        That's a great breakdown you have. I think I'll print it out and keep it for reference. I think I started out with some Hickory bits and when I got frustrated with them I bought a couple of the more expensive yellow bits that HD was selling a few years ago. For the upcoming project I want bits from one of the top of the line companies. I know they are expensive but considering the size of the bits, the size of the project (105 linear feet of floor to ceiling units), and my perfectionistic tendencies, they will be worth it to me. After the job is done next year some time ( I hope), I'll have to write a review on whatever bits I wind up with.
        Thanks for the help and you guys can take some credit when I finish what I hope to be a housefull of very nice built-ins.

Comment

I have nothing but good to say about Freud bits - the quality is unsurpassed. I do have a couple Whiteside and CMT bits and they have worked well too, although I did have a Whiteside bit break on me a couple years ago. I am currently looking for a project so I can justify the purchase of Freud's Entrance Door set, but I have so many projects ahead of playing with a door it looks like next year will be the earliest I will have time make one.

If you have the time pictures, as you progress on your built-in project, would be fun to view.

Comment

Working...
          X