X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Size Dado Blade For TS2424

I need a dado blade but want to make sure my saw can power an 8" blade.
    I have a huge cabinet making project ahead of me and not a lot of experience so buying some of the additional tools I need is rather stressful with no handy advisors. I started out looking at Freud and CMT sets but have read some great reviews on the DW7670.

Re: Right Size Dado Blade For TS2424

I've never had any trouble spinning an 8" dado set on my 3612 which has the same motor as your 2424. When making wider dado's it does seem to struggle a little at startup but once it's up to speed it purrs right along.

You might want to consider getting a 6" set which would put less stress on your motor but that would rule out DeWalt. For most people a 6" set would handle any dado application they might have. On the other hand, if you use a sled when cutting dado's you'll want to stay with an 8" set.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My TS2424 spins a Freud SD508 without to much difficulty, like Badger previously stated startup is a little more gradual then your accustomed to but once it gains momentum it has ample power to keep it spinning through the cuts. The Freud set makes excellent clean cuts with minimal tear out, as you would expect for the premium charged for them.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick answer. It's been one of those days when I just want to stick my head under the drill press. I realized I would need a dado insert so I went out to the shop as I remembered that one came with my saw. Unfortunately it's a 7" insert and when I called HD, they said there wasn't a larger one available so back to square one. Maybe it would be easier to use the router table but I'm just more comfortable with the saw. I started looking for a good quality 6" but since I've been researching and buying tools all day, I thought I would let it rest for awhile. I thought about making an insert but without a bandsaw that might be a little tricky.
        I'll look into the recommended set.
        I have to apologize for my ignorance but my husband works out of town and isn't a woodworker so it's fallen to me to be the general contractor and do the interior work and cabinets for our retirement house. As an intermediate beginner, I love working with wood but am struggling with adding the necessary tools to do cabinets etc. I bought a fairly high end Rockler router table and a PC 7518 as my old 690 and PC table aren't up to cabinetry so all I have left to deal with are bits and dado set.

Comment

I'm a little puzzled by the limitations of a 7" insert. Is it intended to handle the max extension of a 7" dado set? If so, you can still spin an 8" dado, you just won't be able to raise to full height...which is something you'll rarely do with a dado set anyway. If I've got the issue all wrong, how about picking up a UMHW or phenolic blank insert for your saw and cutting the opening yourself?

If you end up pursuing an 8" dado, I picked up a DW7670 to replace a pretty good SD208 last summer. The DW7670 is impressive for the price and your saw should have no trouble spinning it.

http://www.epinions.com/DW7670

Comment

Hewood,
            The info on the insert package just said it was to be used with no more than a 7" blade so I was trying to be safe. I just got an 8" disc and you're right, it will fit okay with my existing insert. So...now I can get the DW7670 that I wanted to begin with. Now on to the fun job of figuring out what raised panel bits I need.

Comment

Originally posted by trenner View Post
              Hewood,
              The info on the insert package just said it was to be used with no more than a 7" blade so I was trying to be safe. I just got an 8" disc and you're right, it will fit okay with my existing insert. So...now I can get the DW7670 that I wanted to begin with. Now on to the fun job of figuring out what raised panel bits I need.
              Don'y you just love a happy ending?!

Comment

"It's been one of those days when I just want to stick my head under the drill press."

heh sorry funniest and best well said statement ive seen in a long time. Seems that 90 percent of my days end up like that to bad I just made a bigger table for my drill press which means more room to lay my head down.

Comment

Trenner, you may be able to make some ZCI's for your dado set with plywood. On the 3650, 1/2" plywood and a little bit of duct tape on the bottom makes a very level insert. This way you don't have to mess around with the little set-screws to take the insert up to level w/the table top.

Take your existing insert, or take a measure over to the table top (with the saw unplugged...), and measure how deep the insert sits. Get some plywood to near that dimension. Easier if it rides a little low. That way, you just line the bottom of the insert with some duct tape (try to keep the tape away from where the saw blade will come through), and shim it to level. Insert your new blank insert with the dado set all the way down. Run the saw and slowly bring the blade up through the new insert. Instant ZCI custom-made for that width of dado. If you need to change dado widths, just make a new insert.

To get the insert to the exact right size, you can use the router table w/a straight bearing bit and your factory insert. Double-stick tape the factory insert to your blank, and use the router to trim your custom insert to size.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

VASandy
                    Thanks for the tip on the homemade inserts. I hadn't thought about using the router to cut them. While we are on the subject of routers, I've been looking at CMT; I want very good quality but I know that some companies have a better advertising program than product. What's your opinion of them?

Comment

Originally posted by trenner View Post
                      VASandy
                      Thanks for the tip on the homemade inserts. I hadn't thought about using the router to cut them. While we are on the subject of routers, I've been looking at CMT; I want very good quality but I know that some companies have a better advertising program than product. What's your opinion of them?
                      CMT makes decent router bits but I've never seen a router from them. You might look at Milwaukee, Bosch, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, Ridgid, Hitachi, Freud, or Triton for a router.

Comment

According to the information at CMT's website, there isn't a router. They do make some decent bits, though. Holbren's has also been mentioned here several times for their price and quality. Take a look around and see what you can find. Especially where panel-raising bits are concerned, I'd rather spend a bit more and get a higher quality bit. Large piece of metal rotating at high speeds makes me nervous!!!

For a router, there's many options these days. Ridgid does have a good offering. There are quite a few here with Ridgid routers who are quite happy with them. Personally, I got my routers before Ridgid came out with theirs. I've had my Dewalt plunge for > 5 years and it works perfectly. I got a Porter-Cable to dedicate to the router table. I just had to get the PC fixed, which turned out to be a pretty painless process. I had to mail the router to the service center. In two weeks, I received a new, refurbished router. I'd prefer it didn't break to begin with...but at least repairs aren't difficult. If I were to purchase a new router today, I'd take a good hard look at the Ridgid multi-base option. It seems to be a very nicely-made product, and you just can't beat that lifetime LSA.

Comment

If anyone wants a serious router to use in a router table, please take a good long look at the Milwaukee model 5625-20.
                          http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192199_192137

It's not a "does everything" model, but it is a powerhouse. Now if you have the extra $$$ then maybe you would like a nice wood shaper.

Comment

I didn't phrase my question re router bits properly; I already have a PC 690 for hand work and a 7518 for my table. I've never heard of Holbren before but will check them out. One reason I was leaning toward CMT (other than reputation) was because of the great catalogue I have from when Sommerfield was still selling CMT. I don't know enough about bits to know which one I need for the desired profile without a good picture. I think I'll try to find a friendly guy at one of the cabinet shops in town and show him a picture of the profile I want so maybe he can advise me on a particular panel raising set etc. I'm sure a year from now, I won't be asking all these dumb questions but for now I'd rather ask dumb questions than to make an expensive mistake.
                            It would be great to be able to afford a shaper but unfortunately it's not in the budget.
                            I had never seen a Ridgid router before the other day when I went into HD to "try on routers". That was a waste of time as due to hand surgery in January, I wasn't able to pick up a router with both hands ;-(
                            I told my husband I was really getting frustrated trying to make all these decisions without much experience but all I have left is the router bits so I did get thru most of the big issues. I'm sure once I start working on the cabinets this fall there will be many more frustrating moments but building is much more fun than buying tools. We will start construction as soon as the road dries up enough to get cement trucks in and once we get everything dried in, I can move my shop into the new building. My current shop is a 12x16 shed so it will be great to move into a bigger shop where I will actually have some room to work. I'll have to post a photo once the new shop is set up.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing great so far, Trenner. I hope your hand heals soon. Amazing how even a small injury can have wide-ranging effects.

Keep asking questions! There's people who think "I don't want to ask the question...it seems too silly." The funny part is, there really aren't any dumb questions. I've asked my fair share....and always gotten respectful answers in return. We learn by following the examples given to us by the more knowlegable. Fortunately, here, we have some very knowlegable and very helpful people! I know I've learned a lot from these guys. For example, the tip about the duct tape on the bottom of the dado insert wasn't my idea. Someone here suggested it, and I started doing that. Great idea, works well, simple...all the best things. To whomever had that idea and shared it, Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X