TS3650 heartbreak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 heartbreak

I just purchased a TS3650 after a lot of hours reading different reviews. I was SO excited to bring this saw home. A friend helped me get it into the basement and we opened the box. I was impressed with the way it was packaged, a great job I thought. Then I started removing pieces. I grabbed the fence and the handled fell off. It was most likely cracked off because one of the heavy cast iron wings was laying directly above it. I removed the legs and to my dismay, everyone of them had multiple spots (some more than 1/4" in diameter) where the orange paint was scratched off, in some spots down to bare metal. Needless to say I was heartbroken. What bad luck? No, what bad packaging. I don't ever expect to rub metal on the saw legs to create the damage they have out of the box.

I called the store and they said I would have to bring the whole saw back for an exchange. I asked about getting me new parts. They said it would take weeks to receive them. I don't look forward going through the hassle of getting the saw up the stairs. If I do take it back I am wondering if I made the right choice in saws. Should I get a refund and buy another brand or have things gotten so bad that buying anything nowadays is just a crap shoot.

Present TS3650 owners, tell me how you like the saw. Would you buy another one. Are the problems I've encountered just the beginning of bad things to come with this saw?

Re: TS3650 heartbreak

I've owned by TS3650 for over 3 years and have had no problems with it. I would recommend it to others as well as buy it again if facing a new TS choice. Sounds to me like you just got a badly packaged saw. As much of a hassle it can be, I would take it back and exchange it for another. I don't think you will be dissappointed. Perhaps you may consider opening the box and giving it a closer inspection before leaving the store to be on the safe side if you do opt to exchange it. There have been other reports on this forum of having the handle on the fence broken off and those people quickly recieved a new replacement from Ridgid support.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Generally, if the store manager agrees (give them a call) you might just take the damaged parts to the store and exchange them with those of a new package; If the manager is reasonable s/he knows they have to take back a damaged one, so no difference if you take the whole package or just make the one in the store be the damaged one! I have done this a few times (once was a ridgid combo pack).

Comment

It's been a long time since I assembled my saw so I'm not sure if this is correct but isn't the fence and rail system packaged in a separate box? If it is, I'd just take the box and it's contents back to HD and exchange it for another box. It's a reasonable request on your part and there should be no reason why they wouldn't do it.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

i agree with mreza. ufortunately you have to deal with the hassle and the people at hd. would i buy another? yes. especially for $349. yup. i opened a commercial account and got $200 off my first tool purchase. i also just recently got a ts-aligner and got a chance to measure runouts. arbor runout is less than .001", flange runout is less than .001". the worst measurement i got was with the blade. a quarter of the blade was off by .002". and that's after cutting 600sq.ft. of high density laminate flooring! and anyone will tell you that's still within specs. i just wish i could buy an aftermarket saw stop attachment. good luck!

Comment

Dave, it's been a while for me too since I put mine together, but I believe the fence comes in the TS box and only the rails are in the long box #2.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Bob, thanks for clarifying that, I couldn't remember exactly what was in the second box.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I'm taking a trip next week. I'll have time to think about this.

Comment

Northwoods, I bought the same saw in early April, my rip fence lock handle was also broken. they clearly have a packaging problem. I registered on line and called in, they had the replacement part to me in about 3 days.

No I should not have had to do this, but at least they responded quickly.

Now when you get the part the replacement is tricky, but it can be figured out using the part manual. If you get stuck let me know. I figured it out and mine now works perfectly.

Comment

Bad deal...bad luck there. All was in great condition on my 3650. I really like this saw. The fit/finish is excellent. A real accurate fence too.

Good luck

Comment

I would take back your damaged parts. When you go back though, if at all possible go at a slower time. It may be harder to find an apron, but they should have the time to help you better.

Having the store order replacement parts is really a lost cause, especially if you have to do your ordering at night. Unless you can speak right to the hardware manager or at least the department head, chances are that the message you are trying to get across will never get anywhere. The sad fact is that they apron you speak to may tell you he will do it, and he may try his hardest, but you will probably get lost in the shuffle.

I see your in WI, Im at the HD in West Allis, but our 3650 boxes have been in great shape lately, so I hope you didnt purchase it from my store. Right now we have one 3650 left, but no rails, the rails were accidentally given out with a different model years ago, that is how long it has taken to get things right. I have mentioned it to several DHs and ASMs and it never gets fixed. Im p/t nights so there isnt much I can do about it

Comment

Sounds to me like you need a whole new saw, unfortunately. If the table whomped down with enough force to crack the fence handle, it may well have taken enough of a pounding to throw the table out of flat. If it were me, I'd just feel better to take the whole kit-n-kaboodle back to HD and get a replacement. I got lucky with mine. The rails box was badly damaged, but the rails were fine. Everything worked great and it's still in top condition.

I'd recommend the 3650 to others. In fact, I've been telling my Dad to get one. I love the saw. I spent today making a jig for it to do keyed mitres for boxes. It's done and works splendidly!
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for such fast responses. I will take the whole saw back after my vacation and get a new one. I actually went downstairs and took a look at my table wings and noticed one rocks when I push on a corner when it is laying on a flat table. I tried both in the exact same spot, with one being a problem. I think they boxed the saw up late on a Friday afternoon.

Comment

Sorry about your TS3650. I went thru a similar situation except that I had my first one all assembled and found that there was a factory defect on the trunion alignment. I went to my local HD and they said if I had a way to haul it back assembled, that would be OK, they would give me a new one in the box. The Tool Associate had advised me to leave it assembled - the saw is a lot easier to move and haul around when it's on its wheels.

I went back home and rolled it onto a low trailer, strapped it down and drove slowly back to the HD. The Yard Associate and I got some funny looks as we pushed the saw on the Herculift down the main aisle from the loading area to the customer service desk with the empty box on a flat buggy. They told him to leave it right there at the service desk and go get a new one and help me load it.

Second time thru on assembly went real quick, and this new one is very impressive - real close on the alignments, only some minor tweaking. The saw weighs a little less than 300 lbs. - get some young strong backs to help you get it out of your basement. I think you will be happier with a new one, who knows what else you will find in a box that was obviously dropped sometime or other.

I am impressed with my local HD, great customer service!!

Comment

Great saw. I purchased mine in Feb.'07 & just finished my 1st grandchild's cradle and my first real woodworking project. Everything was fine in the packaging but the blade insert was bowed down in the center. Called the toll free # & had one in about 3 days. I love using that saw.

BTW, Here's a pic of the cradle. All rough sawn red oak, Planed it with my Dewalt DW 735. That is another sweet running tool!

IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/Botietruck/woodshoptools011.jpg[/IMG]
                              Last edited by Botietruck; 04-09-2007, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X