Drill press assembly question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press assembly question

So I started assembling my drill press (DP1550) last night. In the manual, it says to use a straightedge to ensure that the outer pulleys are aligned to each other. When I lay the straightedge across the two pulleys, only the edge of each pulley touches it. The straightedge does not lie flat across the entire surface of the two pulleys. The motor would need to be lowered about 1/2" in order to accomplish this, but the motor is already at the lowest point in the mounting bracket. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,
    O&B

Re: Drill press assembly question

Let me try to get the picture. Are you saying that the motor pulley seems to be too high? If yes, look for and loosen the set screw(s) holding it on the motor shaft. You'll need the correct size hex key (Allen Wrench) and if you don't have the right size you would do well to buy a small set in inch and metric sizes. They will come in very handy over time. Then using a rubber hammer or a block of wood try to tap the pulley down on the shaft farther than it is now. You want the top of all 3 pulleys to touch the edge of a straight edge if you can adjust them so they will.

Comment

Thanks Woussko,

That is right - I think the motor pulley is about 1/2" too high. I didn't look for a set screw on the pulley itself, so I will try that tonight. Thanks for the quick reply!

I do have both hex key sets and I completely agree they do come in handy. Having each set also saves time instead of trying to find the ones that are usually included with tools.

Thanks again,
      -O&B
      Last edited by Orange&Blue; 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM.

Comment

O & B

Good luck and please let us all know how things turn out for you.

Comment

Another good question to ask on this is why did it go out the door set up so poorly? That thing would eat belts all the time if run like that. Good thing he asked!

Mark
          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I followed Woussko's advice and put the straightedge across all three pulleys, which is different from what the manual that came with the drill press says. It says to use the straightedge to align the spindle pulley & motor pulley before the idler pulley is even installed.

Anyway, I put the straightedge over all three pulleys as Woussko suggested, and it turns out I needed to RAISE the motor pulley about 1/4". So, I just loosened the bracket and raised it up and PRESTO! Problem solved.

Thanks to everyone for your input!
            -O&B

Comment

O & B

I'm glad you have them all in alignment now and yes all 3 need to be lined up. As TWM stated you would have one "Belt Chewer Upper" if not. Sometimes it's the little simple things that can make one love or really hate a machine. I need to install new ball bearings in the motor on my drill press soon. It's an old one and the motor is making some nasty sounds that I know all too well. It's time for me to get to work on it.

Comment

Working...
              X