X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero clearance inserts

I just purchased a reconditioned TS3650 and I'm wondering where I can purchase or if I can make zero clearance and dado inserts for my saw. Any help would be appreciated

Re: Zero clearance inserts

Hi Live2rideon! Welcome to the forums.

If you do a search for ZCI or Zero Clearance Insert in the section above, you should get tons of returns with lots of good ideas. I'd post em here....but hey, learning to use search is a GOOD thing!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I ordered some from peachtree, then got tired of waiting for them to arrive and wound up making my own. Its super easy. the ones from peachtree showed up today and im kinda sorry i bought them. just make your own for you can probably make 40 of them for the price of a premade one and it only takes 10 minutes.

Here is what i did:

tape the original plate to a piece of MDF (or whatever), cut around with jigsaw (i dont have a bandsaw). use router with flush trim bit to trim using existing plate as a guide. Rabbet the underside. thats it. drill a hole if you want to screw it down.
      Last edited by k47k; 04-10-2007, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k47k View Post
        Here is what i did:

tape the original plate to a piece of MDF (or whatever), cut around with jigsaw (i dont have a bandsaw). use router with flush trim bit to trim using existing plate as a guide. Rabbet the underside. thats it. drill a hole if you want to screw it down.
        Exactly what I've been doing. If you're going to make a ZCI for your dado blade, assuming it's smaller than 10", you shouldn't have to dado the bottom of the insert. For my regular blade I reinstall the original plate, slide the fence flush with the edge of the plate and cut a dado in the bottom of the new insert. Then swap the 2 and finish the cut. It is easy.

Oh, welcome to the forum. Lots of great advice on here.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone, I'll give it a try on making my own.

Comment

i used 3/4" MDF (what i had on hand) which is the reason i rabbeted around the outside, this is so the plate sits flush with the table. with a 10" blade you also need to cut a slot so you can get the plate in the table without it touching the blade (10" blade doesnt retract far enough to sit the plate flush in the recess)

Comment

When I began making mine I didn't have a router so I traced, cut with a sabersaw and used the statonary disc sander to true-up to the line. Hey, you're in the shop so you may as well be doing something. I keep my childhood (I'm 55...ugh) chalkboard hanging near the door and when I see a need while working I write it there. Then, when I get a slow day I look at the board and knock off an item or two.
              Have some fun out there,
              Chiz
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

Thats a great idea ironhat, Chalkboard idea I am going to do that. I don't know how many time I have written an idea or something to do on paper, only to end up throwing it away, not looking at what was on it, thanks for that one. Simple, but I didn't think of it. This is why I come here, great tips and idea's and of course people .
                Last edited by garager; 04-11-2007, 09:29 AM.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

You can make your own chalkboards these days. I got some metallic base-paint and some chalboard spray-on. Then make a frame, get some magnets and some chalk. Voila....you're all set!
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You might look at a "Dry Erase" board and a starter kit. The kit will come with marker pens, special eraser and some spray cleaner. Places like Office Depot, Office Max and Staples sell them. It's nice to have one in your kitchen too.

Hint: Spray the cleaner on a good tuff paper towel or rag and wipe the board clean. It works better than the dumb fancy erasers do.

Comment

By the way for making ZCIs if you have or know anyone with a scroll saw that will really help. You can use it to cut the blade slot out too.

Comment

Instead of a chalkboard I use a dry erase marker on the shop's painted door. It erases fine.

Jack

Comment

While rather expensive, Lee Valley tools have extremely high quality, well machined Zero clearance inserts available, including one for the 3650.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1
                          Attached Files
                          Frank sigpic

Comment

Corian sink cutouts work just fine for ZCI's. They are "slick" and work well with a waxed cast iron top.

They are easy to machine to size with a router. Use the same procedure to tape them to the original insert.

If you work with the stuff, you already have a source. If you can locate a counter top shop, you may be able to get some scraps at a nominal price. The size needed for a ZCI is narrower than a cutting board so you may have a better selection of scraps.

Comment

I'm going to try the corian...

One trick I've learned is that you can usually get two inserts out of one by turning them around end for end. not true for dados.

I have one that I use at 18 degrees for making raised panels. turn the insert end for end and you can set it up at 45 degrees for bevels, or whatever application you want.

I use 3/4" mdf with a rabbet around the edge. I do add a screw on the back end to hook underneath the table (like the original tab). The screw up front is probably good enough, but I have bad nightmares of a blade catching the back of the insert and sending it towards me. just predrill the back hole since you're drilling into the end 'grain' of the mdf, otherwise it will split.

for what it's worth I've also bought one from peachtree, they work but not completely flat. nice and slick though.

Comment

Working...
                              X