X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerrbitt

In the process of buidling my shop. 29' x 24' with 9' ceiling.

What kind of lighting have you experts found to be the best? I'm guessing flourescent but wonder how many units will provide adequate lighting.

Info or reference to some links would be appreciated.

One word. Lots !!
    My shop is 18 X 20 and I have 8 - 2 tube - 4' flourecents. This may seem like overkill but the last thing you want is shadows when working with power tools. If you space them about 3 feet in between and 3 feet off the walls you would need 3 across the 24'. Along the 29' I would come 2' off the walls at each end and space the lights roughly 4' between the skirts, the lights are about 1' wide at the skirt, that adds to 30' so squeeze them all an 1" and a bit closer.

Comment

Jerrbitt: If you are building the workspace yourself and do much of your work during the day, add a skylight or two plus stategically place your windows. For work at night, the tubes work well. If you purchase fixtures with the chrome like reflector behind the tubes, you will get better distribution of light and require less fixtures. Good luck & enjoy the adventure.

Bob
      Bob Sr.<br />Father of Bob-the-Builder

Comment

I agree with the idea of lots of tubes, but I'd also be sure to add some incandescents as well. They're indespensible in areas where seeing shadows are important (lathe, carving vise, sanding/finishing area, etc.) If you're building from scratch, you might find that the new halogen mini pots work quite well, and they can also be put on a dimmer (which is useful to make the lighting in the shop match that of the room that the furniture will be going in to.)

Comment

Speaking of Halogen lamps for the shop, I just happened to find a 600W (two 300W lamps) Halogen shop fixture for $21.00. The fixture looks like a 48" flourescent shop light but has two 300W halogen lamps mounted with a glass lamp guard and a wire cage surrounding each lamp.

I bought on to give it a try and hung it over the TS. Man, when you turn that thing on it is bright, it's feels like stage lighting! Maybe too much light if that's possible, the glare off the TS top is strong, I may try adjusting the location of the lamp in relation to the TS and see if that helps any.

It's not a light you would want to run all day long while in the shop as it eats electrons like candy compared to flourescent lights. At 600W you could run a whole shop full of tubes for the same price, but if you want extra light it this thing will deliver it. I'll know more once I have tried it while working in the shop once or twice and see how really useful it is or not. It may go back if I don't like it.

Comment

Don't forget your sunscreen [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            I use a 500 W halogen when I am finishing to make sure I get an even coat. It is nice in the winter but kinda hot in the summer

Comment

I used 4 exterior 500 watt Halogen security lights mounted on the side (short) walls at ceiling height in my 3 car garage (30' W x 20' D). Two are mounted about 2 feet in from the front wall, and the rear ones about 2/3 of the way back (right about where the garage door ends when opened). I aimed each light to point on the floor about 3 ft in from the opposite wall. I've got 11 foot ceilings, so the beam spreads nicely and I have very little shadow over 90% of the floor space.

Like Bob D. says, they pull a lot of juice. Each lamp is rated at 4.2 A, so the four lights use an entire 20 A circuit alone.

My reasoning was that I have not had good luck with flourescent lights in my cold climate (Minnesota). Even the cold-ballast lights have problems near zero degrees. Obviously, If I'm going to be working for any length of time, I need to turn on the heater. But sometimes I just want to do few quick cuts with the mitre saw, or drill some holes, whatever. I got tired of constantly moving my halogen worklight around, and the shadows are really bad when the light is only from one angle.

This was the first winter with the new lights and they performed perfectly. I have yet to see how much of an effect the heat will make in the summer. At least the investment wasn't too bad, I think the lamps were only $12 each. And the replacement bulbs are cheap.

Jim

[ 04-05-2004, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: jhill3264 ]

Comment

I agree with the previous posters but must add that white paint is alot cheaper than electricity. I went ahead & bought pure white semi gloss & painted the whole place out. It was amazing to see the difference between naked drywall and white paint with just two 8' x 4 tube fluros!

Comment

Working...
                X