reset button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reset button

Just curious how many times have most of you went back and re-visited a finished project and started re-touching it up or new modifications to better suite you etc. Found myself spending some time on projects albeit large projects and tweaking them now after 5-6 months to better suite my needs. i.e. entertainment center that had components added etc. So in other words is a personal project ever truly done or is it just waiting for us to improve upon it. I can understand a customer project done and out the door etc.... although sorry just thought of this if a customer came back and said you know those custom cabinets you made etc for us we want you to modify them. Now would you start over or try to re-work the project and charge a whole new fee. I know this is dependant on situation just curious if this has happened to any of you before.

Re: reset button

If it were for a customer, I would modify is possible (added cost); If not possible, I would start over (new quote that includes what I already had in the project as additional services).

On the personal side, I just built a oak desk for myself. Its nice, but I already want to change it. The top is fine (72"x32"), I have a total of 8 drawers all the same size( I did not want any file drawers, thats what I have filing cabinets for). But now I am wishing I would have made a couple of the drawers deeper. The only way out for me is to start over and sell/donate this one. ( I have almost $600.00 invested in material/hardware and dont think I will come out of this one very good).

In closing, I feel your pain brother!

Regards,

Comment

Usually, when I finish a project I consider it done. LOML is another story, so I feel your pain

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Funny how the reset button and the loml go hand and hand... Biscuit that sounds like a massive desk any pics by chance?

Comment

Biscuit

Please don't go and get rid of your nice desk. Take a good look at ready made office desks where on one side they have a deep drawer and a shallow drawer and on the other side there are 3 shallow drawers. Take a real good look at how it's made and you'll get ideas on how you might convert your desk.

When I get a chance I'll try to take and post pics of my desk that was factory made but has one deep drawer on the left side. All 4 of the shallow drawers are the same.

Am I correct that your desk has 4 drawers per side? In any case I'm thinking you might be able to remove 2 drawers, change the frame and glides and then make up a custom deeper drawer.

If you really do end up making a new desk, try to save the top and some of the drawers you have now.

If you get lucky someone just might buy your desk for a nice price if you really want to start fresh.
          Last edited by Woussko; 04-11-2007, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I dont have any pics as of this time, I will try and get a couple to post.

You are correct in that I have four drawers on each side.

The thing is that if i end up cutting the face frame and discarding two drawers for one drawer, I will almost end up with one that is deep enough for files. I dont want one that deep. I guess that I am just too darn hard to please

I will get something worked out and try to put some pics up to get some ideas.

Regards,

Comment

If you modify the desk for one deep drawer, could you have an internal lift out tray to provide the storage that you need?

Just a thought.

Comment

Thats one possibility I have not thought of. My mind is still spinning trying to figure out what I am going to do.

Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Working...
                X