X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian secrets

I have been running across a few Victorian style plans and techniques lately and have seen alot of references to secret compartments and drawers built into the furniture as a safe was out of the question in the time era. Anyone know of any books that address this issue exclusively or am I stuck trying to glean a few drops here and there in period furniture books. I have found a few links googling the subject but nothing to comprehensive. Most say it is up to the creativity of the builder etc.

Re: Victorian secrets

Hey Drift393!

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, but I really didn't have anything to add until today. There was an episode of "The Woodwrights Shop" in which they had two gentlemen from Berreyville (!! my hometown) showing how a Winchester-style desk is made. They showed making the hidden drawers and everything. If you'd like, I can put it on DVD and send it to you. PM me here and we'll work it out. They didn't go into a LOT of detail, but it's pretty clear in the video how it works.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
    X