Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridgid TS2400LS or the Bosch 4000-09 table saw near New Market, MD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid TS2400LS or the Bosch 4000-09 table saw near New Market, MD?

I don't know if you will be travelling by the Philly area.. but if so, I have a NIB Bosch 4000 that I have been thinking of selling. I haven't made up my mind on selling it yet.. but if you want to discuss it via email/im, let me know. It has both the side and back extension, folding table and rolling cart. It is not something that would be worth shipping...

Comment

OK, that sounds like a possibility, PALefty. I will contact you soon. Saul

Comment

I have had the Rigid TS2400LS for about a week. I was trying to decide between the Bosch 4000-09 and a Porter-Cable table saw and was leaning heavily toward the Bosch 4000-09 because of all the glowing reviews. I ended up buying the Rigid used because it was a deal I couldn't refuse.

A few days ago, I played with a Bosch 4000-09 at a local Home Depot and must say that, even after a week of using the Rigid, I much prefer the Rigid fence over the Bosch's. The Bosch's fence isn't as substantial as the Rigid's and wasn't completely parallel to the blade. On the other hand, the Bosch seems to be better finished. Adjusting the blade depth and angle on the Bosch was much easier.

The other things that convinced me that I would rather buy the Rigid again are the table size and the rip capacity, which are both larger than the Bosch's.

Of course, this is my impression from using the Rigid for one week and playing with a Bosch for about an hour.
        Last edited by vnh; 06-05-2007, 01:27 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

"...but if you ever need saw full 4 x 8 sheets you'll really need a good helper to support it."

I would not let this one concern influence my choice between a portable saw and a contractor or cabinet style TS. If this is the only thing that is pushing you toward a bigger machine, don't worry about it and go for the more portable tool. You can use a couple horses and a rip guide with a circ saw and decent blade to chop full size sheet goods into manageable pieces that you can handle on your TS, whatever model that may be. Many people do this even if they do have a cabinet or contractor TS available.

Ya know what scares me? Watching those two not-so-safe stooges Steve and Jim on that trash-to-treasure TV show "Junk Bros". I cringe every time I see one of them cross-cutting a full 4x8 sheet of plywood on that Delta or RIDGID jobsite saw...and sometimes WITHOUT USING A FENCE or any other guide, just free-handing a full sheet of ply through the blade. Scary I tell ya, just plain scary that they show that on TV.

Painting w/o respirators; no guards on power tools (oh ya, that's so the TV camera can see better I forgot); welding, grinding, and flame cutting w/o gloves and sometimes w/o goggles (just safety glasses which is not kosher); I could go one but you get the idea.

I like to watch the show overall, they come up with some creative uses for items that people have given up on and set out to the curb. But sometimes (lately more often than not) I have to wonder; "Will the people even want this thing back? It looks worse than before they started."
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I've been using a TS2400LS and have been pretty happy with it. I bought it because of space limitations. If I had space I'd want something bigger and heavier, but this works good. I checked a few times, and the fence seems to set up really true to the blade consistently.

Comment

Hello all.
              Yes, that convinced me too (played with the fence at HD, drove 2 min to Lowe's checked the Bosch' fence for 2 seconds and that was enough to confirm what other members talked about).

Now regarding the saw, I bought it more than a month ago, took it out of the box and besides covering it with it's plastic sheet I did not have 1 free second to start setting it/working on/etc'.
              Lot of times I planned to come to the forum and ask about the list still to be bought, but as said, every second was busy with another time-demanding project.

What bothered me was that the operator's manual that came with the saw is for the TS2400. On the box it is written that the model # is TS2400LS and the saw itself is TS2400-1 (!).

I understand, the saw is almost the same. I did not try to find out what is the difference between the 2400 and the 2400-1, but the LS is supposed to be for laser.
              I want to solve two problems:
              1- Although I downloaded from Ridgid’s site the TS2400LS operator’s manual I want the originals that should come in the box.
              2- The saw is supposed to be with the laser (at least to my understanding –still need to check on it-) and it is not..

I called last Friday (June 1st) Ridgid customer service. First the rep tried to tell me that the manuals are the same, but when I told her I downloaded from the net and they are not, she said that’s all they carry (only the 2400), when I went on asking questions, all of a sudden she wanted my address and told me she is going to mail me the right manual (?). We were done and got to the final “Have a good day sir” (or something like that). Only after I asked for her name and rep ID or x number she told me that, in a matter of fact what she is going to mail me are the old manuals (again…. 2400) (?!). At this stage I have had enough and asked her to transfer me to a supervisor. Transferred me, was told she was on lunch brake and was transferred to a voice mail. Left message, till today (4th business day…) did not hear from her or anybody else.

Comment

I came very close to buying the 3650, but thought my situation might be better served with the 2400LS for portability and space reasons.
                I know that I won't get quite the precision with 2400, but I think I can work around it some. As for the fence, it seems very good for this type of saw.

Here's a tip that I read on NewWoodworker.com:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/fenceblock.html

Basically, when ripping plywood the article recommends using a fence block on the outfeed side of the fence because most of the T-style fences will flex when ripping 4 x 8' sheets.

Another suggestion that I read about was to use a clamped guide on the the 4 x 8, place it over a 2" foam board insulation and rip away with your circle saw. Overall, this seems like the best advice to me unless you have the space and the support for the work piece. Of course, I'm amenable to advice.

EDIT 2:
                Oh, and BTW, I looked at the Bosch as well. It's a very nice saw, but I thought that the Ridgid's fence was as good/better and the miter was better. Plus, I've been surprised at how well the Ridgid was setup from the factory. The wrenches they provided are the same size though. I received two arbor wrenches.
                Last edited by HokieJoe; 06-18-2007, 12:33 AM. Reason: To add picture.

Comment

I believe LS means it comes packaged with the stand, while the TS2400-1 is just a bench top saw. I've never read anything about the available laser on any table saw ...

Originally posted by Sol View Post
                  What bothered me was that the operator's manual that came with the saw is for the TS2400. On the box it is written that the model # is TS2400LS and the saw itself is TS2400-1 (!).
                  I understand, the saw is almost the same. I did not try to find out what is the difference between the 2400 and the 2400-1, but the LS is supposed to be for laser.
                  I want to solve two problems:
                  1- Although I downloaded from Ridgid’s site the TS2400LS operator’s manual I want the originals that should come in the box.
                  2- The saw is supposed to be with the laser (at least to my understanding –still need to check on it-) and it is not..

Comment

Working...
                  X