Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Ridgid TS2400LS or the Bosch 4000-09 table saw near New Market, MD? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid TS2400LS or the Bosch 4000-09 table saw near New Market, MD?

Hello all. I am going to buy portable TS. Considering the Ridgid TS2400LS or the Bosch 4000-09. Would like to hear from someone using them and eventually try both, do some cuts and feel the saw. I live in New Market MD. If you happen to live in the area and willing to help me, please send me an email: el_ors@hotmail.com, I will really appreciate that.
    Thanks in advance, Saul

Re: Ridgid TS2400LS or the Bosch 4000-09 table saw near New Market, MD?

Hey Sol, I really cant comment on the Ridgid, but the Bosch I can. Thats what I had been using for the past few years (my dads). Its an ok saw but the rip fence isnt that good. Just by looking at the Ridgid, it looks like a better fence. With the Bosch, I always had to measure from both the front an the back of the blade to the fence. The Bosch doesnt really have a whole lot of adjustments either.

Like I said, I cant directly compare the two saws, but if I were to buy one or the other just by past experiences using the Bosch, Id buy the Ridgid.

Comment

I agree with stidrvr regarding the Bosch fence...

I just bought a Bosch 4000-09 based on the glowing reviews I've read and I find the fence to be the one downside. It just doesn't lock down exactly parallel (unless +/- .05-.06" is good enough for you) to the miter slot/blade no matter how I've adjusted the fence (blade was parallel to miter slot out of the box). Now you can hold the fence exactly where you want it, lock it down, and get good results but don't rely on the self-aliging feature to put you exactly parallel.

I realize it's not a $3000 cabinet saw -- maybe I was expecting too much

No experience with the Ridgid
      Last edited by paumat; 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys.
        So the only issue you have with the Bosch is the fence? The truth is that I went to Home D. and it looked to me that this was a problem, but wanted to decide after trying it.
        Did you think about adding a good fence (Xacta, Biesemeyer etc’)? I have no idea of how much it would cost, what brand name and model #, but, if the saw is so good, maybe it would be worth investing some $? (Just a thought).
        I appreciate your input.
        Saul

Comment

Sol

Forget about a really good add-on fence for a job site table saw. They are for much larger size tables. You might take a look at the Dewalt DW744S. (Forget it's little brother the DW745) It's not all that refined (either of them), but several local remodeling contractors have them and like it. You'll never find the same quality in a job site table saw as in a good contractor's full size or a cabinet saw, but for most jobs it should be good enough and far better than the trashy $200 models that are about worthless.

If you'll never need to do any bevel cutting, you might find an old timer Delta "Bench Top" table saw that has a nice cast table, T slots for the miter guide and a not bad fence (2 rail) but you have limited rip capacity. I think it was 12 and 16 inches depending on the model. They fall into the antique group, but they were really built nice.

Comment

Saul - Have you ever seen one of these?

It's a General International 50-090K - 10" JOB SITE SAW. It sheds the typical loud direct drive universal motors and uses a belt drive induction motor instead. It's very much like a stationary hybrid saw on a roll away stand. It'll accept an aftermarket fence should you ever want to pursue one down the road. Larger table, cast iron, and should be quite stable. At 250# it's not as portable as the plastic and aluminum jobsite saws, but it's an interesting option that offers something different.

Comment

I agree with Woussko. Take a look at the DeWalt 744. I've got one and have used it for roughly 10 years now. The fence is very very good for a jobsite saw. No. It is NOT perfect. It is a bit difficult to get it aligned just right. But it is possible to do. I wish it were belt drive, but I haven't burned out the motor yet so I'm still happy that way. It will cut just about anything and everything you can throw at it. Make sure you buy the left end table extension and the outfeed extension. I mounted mine on a 3/4 inch sheet of Ply. and then I c-clamp it to a heavy B&D workmate (400). It's very stable with that table. I decided against buying the folding DeWalt legs since they didn't look as strong as what the Workmate could do. And with the workmate, you've got a choice of heights to work with. All in all, it's a good saw for a job site and at about 65 pounds it easily is picked up and put in the back of the truck. While it's not a furniture making grade saw, I have used it to put together some very nice cabinets. Just my 2 cents worth.
              Jim Don

Comment

Saul, SKARIE over in Baltimore is a General dealer. I've never seen the one in the post, but will say that they (general) do make nice machinery.

I have a good feeling that Saul wants sometime lighter and more portable.

The only portable I did get to try out was the DW744 and in this case the owner had a home made stand for it. For what it is and the weight and space factor, I liked it. I'm hoping soon to be able to actually give the Bosch a test, but so far the dealers normally only have them boxed up or they are sold out. Big Box stores don't count as their display stuff usually is missing parts and never correctly setup.
                Last edited by Woussko; 04-12-2007, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys.
                  I am looking for a saw to "park" in my 2-car garage, next to my car and all the other stuff and whenever I need, to unfold it and take around the house. So, as Woussko said, yes I would like to buy the best portable I can find. (Usually it will not ride in a truck).
                  Yesterday I unpacked an Incra 1000se Miter Gauge and a Miter Express Sled (I am wondering something about this purchase, but I do not want to start another topic, so I will bring my question in a new thread/post) and this morning ordered 2 10" 24T FTG thin kerf rippers for $10 each, those heewood suggested in my other thread and looking forward to go on with the list, thanks to the help of this forum-members.
                  I am planning to pay a visit to SKARIE (again, as said in the other thread) and try to get to VA.
                  I understand that no option of adding a good fence to those 2 TS (Ridgid/Bosch), if so, I will have to live with it...
                  Go on, please with your advice, it helps me very much talk to real/live people in real time, specially after reading quite a lot on the Internet, mainly reviews that I have no idea how updated they are and threads from 2005...
                  Thanks a lot and eventually "we" are going to buy this saw!!!!

Comment

For your situation, getting a GOOD fence on the saw is going to be a requirement. Since you'll be doing everything you can with the portable saw, you want something with a very reliable fence. From what I've seen and read, that'd be the Ridgid model. If it's anything like the fence on the 3650, it's definately a good one. I don't know enough about the DW to comment on it. Given that the Bosch has problems with the fence, you may be well advised to get something other than that.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I think I may be way past overdue to put this in here. I have yet to see a "Job Site" table saw with a table anywhere near the quality of a good contractor or cabinet saw. Most are "pot metal" and the miter slots are not nice T slots. Trying to use a miter guide made for use in a standard size T slot like you'll find on a quality made cast iron table just won't work. I've heard, but never seen that there are job site table saws with milled T slots. My advice is to demand to see the saw fully setup and to test try it out before you buy. Even the largest table on a "Job Site" model is tiny next to the table on a good contractor or cabinet saw. If you'll need to rip 4 x 8 foot sheets, forget a mini size table saw unless you have a good helper there. Most good lumber yards have panel saws and will cut full sheets down for you.

Soul, If you really want a general use table saw, I really doubt you will be happy with the small ones. Having a 27" front to back of table really makes a big difference in what you can use it for. Also having 40 or more inches width sure helps.

Table sizes:
                      Full size cast iron 27" Front-Back

Delta TS350 home owner model: 22-1/4" F-B

Dewalt DW744S: 19-1/4 F-B and 26-1/2 wide

Bosch 4000 series: 21-1/2 by 29

Ridgid TS2400LS: Not on web site but is said to be able to rip to 25" to right of blade

You'll find that most if not all serious contractor and every cabinet model (that I have ever seen) table saw will have a 30 inch or more "to the right" rip capacity. If you've ever used such, you'll really miss not having much table in front and behind the blade with a job site model and also not having support for sheets. With that in mind, comes figuring out if you can deal with such or not.

If you're mostly just needing to cut smaller stuff the job site saws should work out OK, but if you ever need saw full 4 x 8 sheets you'll really need a good helper to support it. What do you think you'll need to be able to do with it? Could you get sheets cut on a panel saw where you buy your lumber? Do you need anything exact? Lumber yard sawing is never that great. If you tell them 22-5/8 it most likely will be 22-1/2 or 22-3/4. Also don't expect things to be really square. An idea (contractors do this) is to have them ruff cut it about 1 inch over size and then you cut it from there. If you really want say 3/4 plywood sheets that end up say 18 x 20, just buy the ones already ruff cut into 1/4 sheets or have them do it for you. I'm lucky that there's a good woodworkers club not too far from me and they have some very nice equipment. They will (for some $$$) help out people. I have space problems myself. Until I finally move to where I have far more room, I have to NOT buy the machines that I dream about owning sometime.

Blah Blah Blah - Here I go off again about stuff that I should not post. Woussko, BAD Howling Hound, BAD
                      Last edited by Woussko; 04-13-2007, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Here are some reasons I bought the Ridgid instead of the Bosch..

Ridgid has a nicer fence.

I didn’t like the two piece measuring guide for the fence on the Bosch, it just seemed awkward to use to me.

The Ridgid has a nice one piece tape measure type fence measuring guide, very smooth .

The Bosch has less table space in front of the blade.

The Ridgid has a tee slot miter gauge slot.

I like the having choice of either using the gravity drop or the crank option to crank the blade for making angled cuts. The Bosch maybe that way to , I can’t remember.

The Bosch has nice rolling pneumatic tires, but I have enough tires in my shop to worry about keeping pumped up.

To me the Ridgid’s table has the feel of a bigger table saw.

The Bosch seemed to have a better fit and finish.

The Bosch seems to have a nicer cart, but the Ridgid cart is a cinch to use.

The blade guard on the Ridgid is real easy to remove and put back on, Just knob screw on and off.

The Ridgid has the lifetime warranty and was less money.

I wish HD would carry all the accessories for the Ridgid.

Woussko, as always, has a very valid points and good advise about full size saws, something to really
                        think about for sure. You are limited with portable saws as far as capability.
                        If I had a large shop I would have a full size table saw for sure.

I have a small shop, my shop has to be a mechanical, electrical and hobby woodworking shop and the size
                        and portablity of the 2400 was the ticket for me. And yes it was a hard decision between the Bosch and
                        the Ridgid they both are really nice portable saws.

Just my two cents….

Dave.
                        Last edited by Davet; 04-13-2007, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                          For your situation, getting a GOOD fence on the saw is going to be a....
                          Yes VASandy, you are right, from what I have read so far, it looks to me too the Ridgid would be the better choice, (but, what do you expect, after all it IS a Ridgid forum, isn't it?) (Just joking). My only problem is that I would like to TRY them both and did not find the way yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            Soul, If you really want a general use table saw, I really doubt you will be happy with the small ones
                            You are right too, Woussko, I may be somehow unhappy with it, but, as they say "you can't win them all". I mean always there will be SOMETHING I will have to compromise (in this saw and in life in general, isn't it).
                            Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            you'll really need a good helper to support it. What do you think you'll need to be able to do with it?
                            I am used to work all by myself, so I find my way and improvise new tricks and succeed to do the job. Regarding the ripping, I usually do not need to do it, but, if and when I will, I guess I can always build/buy something to add around and it will work. Besides, if I put the sheet on 2-3 stands, or a big table and use my circular saw with a good blade, the job is done in a blink, fine enough for my needs.

Comment

Again, thanks to all of you for your advice, I really appreciate it and it is exremely valuable for me (everything being said here).

Thanks Dave!

Comment

Working...
                              X