X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim compressor

I have been looking at a small compressor for a while. My demands on the compressor will be light - only planning to run the R250SFA (requires 0.05 SCFM) and he R213BNA (requires 0.04 SCFM). IT will be used for crown molding, baseboards, casings, blowing out the shop, etc. The idea of a small, portable compressor is very appealing!

Will this compressor be enough though? I have done the math and it works out, but i dont have the experience necessary to "pull the trigger" and buy it. What do you guys think?

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=15513

Re: trim compressor

Franklin Pub, my buddy has that air compressor (purchased it a few weeks ago and included 2 nail guns as I recall). It has no problem with either of the nail guns it came with. We also used it with my brad gun, finish gun and my PC framing nailer. It worked fine for all of them. As it is a small tank it cycles a bit more than I prefer for my taste, but for small projects like you mentioned I think it should do great.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Will that compressor satisfy most of your stated needs? The answer to that is, probably.

It certainly will run the nailer's you listed. As far as blowing out the shop is concerned it could do that also but not very efficiently. The one gallon tank will work for the nailer's without much of a problem. That is unless you're shooting brads and finish nails at a high rate of speed. For blowing out the shop purposes the tank would empty so quickly that the compressor would probably be recharging continuously. Eventually the constant recharging of the tank will take its toll on the motor.

It's not like this compressor won't do what you want it to, it will, but if it were my money I'd look at something a little larger.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought a similar Makita hotdog compressor for the same things you are doing. It works fine. I don't use it much, only when I'm installing a job so it should last a long time.

For blowing out the shop,......not gonna be much help there. It will empty in about 30 seconds. I have a 30gal 2hp compressor and I found that the extra running time just wasn't worth it and bought a cheap leaf blower for the shop blow out! It works fine and also does a good job on the patio and front drive.

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

If you don't need it to be portable, I would get a bigger compressor. I have 20 gal for my garage and a smaller portable tank to use on jobsites. I couldn't live with out my 20gal tank. My impact wrench doesn't have any power on the smaller tank. A couple hoses and you will never move it. If you think you will ever want to do anything other than just shot nails get a bigger compressor. For thirty dollars more you could have a tank that will do most anything you could ever want to do with your compressor.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24

If you do need a small compressor I would consider the PC pancake compressor it is half the price of the Dewalt. Don't get me wrong I have a old Air-Mate Emglo and it is a great compressor. But the PC will probably be all you need for shoting nails but for half the price.

Comment

I have this compressor set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

I didn't purchase it from that site but got it locally on sale for close to that price. I've been using it extensively while building my lake house. Excellent for the money I think.

Clato

Comment

Am I the only one here that buys Craftsman air compressors, I own 2 of them, should I feel embarrassed for owning them. I have only seen 1 time in this forum that Craftsman air compressor was mentioned, and it may have been me . No I did not get a gun package with them, nor did I get a super deal, I've just always liked them, because thats what everybody owned when I was growing up or it seemed. They have yet to brake down, owned my big one for 3 yrs now, and my little one for 8 yrs. My first one I bought a long time ago, I gave to my brother and that one is still running.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                Am I the only one here that buys Craftsman air compressors, I own 2 of them, should I feel embarrassed for owning them. I have only seen 1 time in this forum that Craftsman air compressor was mentioned, and it may have been me . No I did not get a gun package with them, nor did I get a super deal, I've just always liked them, because thats what everybody owned when I was growing up or it seemed. They have yet to brake down, owned my big one for 3 yrs now, and my little one for 8 yrs. My first one I bought a long time ago, I gave to my brother and that one is still running.
                Well I must admit, yes, I do have a craftsman air compressor ... As you say it won't die. It has worked well for 14 years now. I bought it when I built my house, its shot a lot of nails, filled a lot of tires, built more than your average number of fences (I have a fence company and its a backup...) and still going pretty strong. I bought the Bostich cause I thought it was dying. NOT! Anyway, I now have 2 compressors for home projects.

Clato

Comment

Am I the only one here that buys Craftsman air compressors, I own 2 of them, should I feel embarrassed for owning them.

I also own 2 Craftsman compressors. 1 with a 20 gallon tank, in my shop, and a smaller 1 I carry from project to project. The larger is at least 15 years old and is still ticking strong. Don't be embarrassed for, you're not the only one.

What I found really handy are the pvc coil hoses, they stretch to 25' and coil back to normal afterwards. They don't lay all over the floor waiting for me to trip on.
                  If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I have a one gallon senco. I use it for all the things you describe. I run a 18 gauge brad nailer, 16 g finish, narrow crown stapler and 23 headless pinner with great results. I do have a blower for it and use it for blowing off my hat after I do a lot of overhead routing and sanding, but it wont do much more blowing than that. It runs more often as you would expect, but it isn't excessive and I have yet to be nailing enough trim, base, crown or anything else that I have had to wait for it to catch up.

I love the thing, 20lbs, sits on a counter and no problems yet. I also have a bigger pancake that works fine for my framing gun though I never need to haul it out anymore.

I got it with the 23 gauge pinner as a set on ebay and it came delivered to my door for about $175.
                    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

For blowing dust off benches and machines, why not try using your shop vac exhaust and one of these on the end of the hose? I've used mine and blow leaves off my car. It works pretty well.

http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=218

By the way when blowing out your shop, I should have said garage. If you have your shop in your basement oh what a mess to clean up. My idea was to blast it all out the overhead door.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Woussko; 04-15-2007, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I use my 14 gal shop vac now to blow out my shop and i guess i should continue to do so, as a trim compressor will not suit the job!

Thanks for the help guys - i think i am going to go with the 1 gal compressor, as it will suit my needs. Any other recomendations for a newbie compressor user? Set up? etc

Comment

Me 4! (I mean I'm the 4th hand raiser). Bought a 1HP/12 gal when Sears had it on sale. Hadn't used it much other than for tire inflation - rarely using it. But it serves me well.

Like some of you, I use the blower (from the 2in1 shop vac) to blow leaves... never had thought about using an air compressor to blow clean the garage (aka, my shop) tho..

Am I the only one here that buys Craftsman air compressors,

Comment

Okay, so i bought the 1 gallon compressor and did some window casing. Worked beautifully. Very easy to carry around and never ran out of air, even though i was sometimes firing 10 nails - 15 nails over 15-30 sec.

Thanks for you help guys - i feel confident in my purchase.

Comment

Nope, you ain't alone. I have a Craftsman compressor also. It is a 60 gal., 175 lb, 220 v. I bought it used through the local Craigs List. It was still on the original shipping pallet, hardly ever used and it looked it. I also have a PC pancake that has served me well for many years. I bought it new as part of a package when I was doing remodeling.

The reason for the need of a bigger compressor was that I bought a soda blaster. As a minimum the soda blaster required 9 SCFM and the PC pancake compressor just couldn't produce that much air.

Comment

Working...
                              X