Rigid Vac filter clogging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Vac filter clogging

My Rigid vacuum really sucks - in a good way, that is. But I find the pleated filter clogs with fine stuff fairly quickly and needs to be shaken out after a few hours or less of work. Short of installing a real DC system, is there some way to extend the interval between shake-outs?

Jack

Re: Rigid Vac filter clogging

You might try knee high stockings

Slip one over the filter as other folks on the board have suggested (Woussko, VASandy ?)
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

The stockings make it easier to clean...it still clogs quickly. This way, you just pull the stocking off and put on another one. It's slightly less troublesome than cleaning the filter every few hours.

Someone gave a link to the CleanStream filters some time ago. This is the one for the 16-gal: http://www.cleanstream.com/store/3313209089.html

I haven't ordered one yet, but it's high on my list to try. The stockings are a cheap stop-gap measure for now. They clean well in water for re-use too. I still get a bit of fine dust on the pleated filter, but it's much easier to unclog the machine using the stockings....plus, I kinda have a whole bunch of stockings that I hate to wear!!! This solves two problems at once!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The Cleanstream filter will catch smaller dust particles than the stock filters will but will plug up just as fast if not a little faster. If you're using your vac for collecting dust from your sander that Cleanstream is a must have. It may be a bit inconvenient to have to clean it often but in the long run your lungs will benefit from using one.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

The Gore clean stream is the best filter I have ever owned for a whopping 1 week, I spent 6 1/2 hours sanding today and not once did I have to clean the filter. This filter is awesome, I did clean it at the end of the day, about 6 taps on my fence and it was clean. I have used this filter everyday now since I got it, and my wet/dry vac motor never changed in the sound tone when in use. Motor never got any hotter then normal, I'm sure much later on it will be more difficult to clean off like any filter. But man, am I pleased with this filter. Like I said before, I will be going to Sears tomorrow and get 2 more for my other vacs. This filter does come with a 1 year guarantee offer, find that in another filter company, maybe there is another one, but I haven't seen it.
          Last edited by garager; 04-12-2007, 06:19 PM.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

A separator can help a great deal with chips and somewhat with fine dust

Comment

I think next on my list will be trying out a home-made version of the cyclone lids. I'll let you know how it turns out...

My ridgid vac came with 2 filters- so I just swap them out. I can shake out and wash out one filter, and use the other one while the first one is drying.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                The stockings make it easier to clean...it still clogs quickly. This way, you just pull the stocking off and put on another one...
                VASandy is right, the filter still clogs with a nylon stocking on the paper filter, but I don't replace the stocking every time. As I mentioned here, the dust practically falls off the stocking-covered filter by itself. I clean the filter more often now, but it just takes lifting the lid and quickly brushing around the filter; a 15 second job.

- djb
                sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                  VASandy is right, the filter still clogs with a nylon stocking on the paper filter, but I don't replace the stocking every time. As I mentioned here, the dust practically falls off the stocking-covered filter by itself. I clean the filter more often now, but it just takes lifting the lid and quickly brushing around the filter; a 15 second job.

- djb
                  Sorry djb I should have dug up that thread
                  It's a good idea
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                  X