Jointery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointery

I was wondering what is the quickest, strongest,and easiest method to use when joining wood. Take for example, cabinet construction. What would be best to use for the carcass, face, and face to carcass joints? Pocket holes, biscuits, and dowels come to mind. But, being new to woodworking I have used neither of them. I appreciate and value your input.

Thank you
    Tim

Thee old T&G comes to mind without knowing the details of your plans for the cabinetery. Gives you lots of glue surface and makes for a very strong joint. Plus it's easy with the proper router table set up and bits.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

All kinds of joints are good, but IMHO
      ain't nothing faster than that Kreg Tool.

With square drive screws, and two good mating surfaces, you can make a really tight butt joint.

Most of the time I use M&T for joining face frames, but for web frames and the like, I usually pull out the Kreg.
      It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

For the normal run of the mill cabinet, I agree that the Kreg pocket hole jig is the easiest and fastest. I combine this with biscuits, but that requires a pocket hole jig and a biscuit jointer (or a router set up for biscuit slots). If you go the pocket hole route, I would suggest a good video entitled (something like) Cabinet-Making with the Kreg 2000. The video goes through an entire cabinet construction with the jig. Of course, just about any pocket hole jig could be used to do the same thing, I guess.
        More traditional cabinets use dadoes, rabbits, dovetails, and mortise and tenon for joinery.

Comment

Always good to hear that someone is trying new stuff. Even a butt joint is pretty good it is just difficult to align. T&G works great is simple and uses basic tools that you should have if you want to do cabinetry (a small router will do). biscuts, dowels and the kregg tool are expensive and not much better. The best for looks and strength are dove tails, mortis and tennon etc. They however are the most difficult and require lots of patience to learn. I say start with some easy stuff where you can see it and try some harder stuff where you can't see it so easily. The progress to the opposite. Then go for all traditional joinery. Most of all do what makes it fun... and maybe a little challenging.

Comment

Working...
          X