X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMT Raised Panel Bits

Somewhere in my research (don't remember the source) I read that the CMT bits have a half life of 200 to 300 feet. I can't imagine spending that kind of money and having a bit wear out before you finish a large job. Please tell me that was a typo etc. For you guys who use routers as opposed to shapers to do cabinet doors, what have you seen for longevity (in linear feet) in the best quality bits?

Re: CMT Raised Panel Bits

I don't really know how long mine have gone without a sharpening, but I do know I have at least 3 bits that have gone a heck of a lot longer than that,quote you got there. I do like CMT, and I'm sure there are better brands, "well maybe". Just make sure you clean them all the time and proper storage is a must, don't want no bits rusting. Don't abuse the bit, by trying to hog out all the wood in a single pass. I'm not an only CMT owner, I do use other brands too, go to Grizzly they got nice bits there too. My 2 cents worth.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager
      Thanks for your input and since I treat all my tools like my liitle buddies, I won't worry about it. That scribing tip was a good one and I'll remember it while I'm learning to do that.

Comment

trenner,

To quote garager, "...don't want no bits rusting."

A few years ago I started to save silica gel, the little packages that come in pill bottles, the purpose of which is to absorbe moisture. I throw these packages into the drawer where my router bits are stored. I also put some into the box where my engineers squares are stored. In theory they absorbe moisture which can cause rust on the bits. Does it help? I don't know but it makes me feel better. I also throw the packs into the drawers of the tool box of where I store my mechanics tools and I am certain it helps there. My sockets, rachets and wrenches are definitely in better shape since I started to use it. Silica gel packages are available on-line or if you are friendly with a pharmacist they can hook you up with some.

Tom

Comment

Great idea Tom, I'll do the same.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I recently saw this information in a magazine.

Look in the grocery store for cat litter. There is some that is made from silica crystals and not clay. It comes in a plastic bottle, not a bag so that it doesn't absorb moisture on the store shelf. It is pricey compared to the clay but is the same as what is in the little packages that you refer to.

Place small amounts of it in some mesh material (scraps of old panty hose, old socks etc.) and fasten it with string, rubber bands and put it with your tools.

Sure beats purchasing a lot of electronic toys just to get the little bags of silica.

I also keep a large bag of cat litter or speedy dry from the auto parts store in the shop for immediate use on liquid spills. It is more absorbent than sawdust and easier to sweep up when wet because of its larger granules.

Comment

Working...
            X